Shure M75e questions

Chico Jim

• Trust your ears
Shure M75e questions
« on: 22 Aug 2018, 10:23 pm »
I recently stumbled upon a 1972 Miracord Elac 40c TT.  It has the original cartridge, Shure M75e and stylus.  Not sure of the hours of play on the original stylus I replaced it with Jico N75ED, supposedly an upgrade, that’s a different story as far as I’m concerned. It would only track at 2.5g or higher and sounded great at times, others meh. I looked at the original stylus under a jewelers loop and it looked pristine and new, I put it back in and it tracks on used records nicely at 1.5-2g.  From what I preened online the Shure M75 has a recommended tracking force of .5-1.25g.  Am I okay at 1.75g? It sounds amazing at this weight, very holographic and perfect soundstage on the well mastered recordings. 

Chico Jim

• Trust your ears
Re: Shure M75e questions
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2018, 10:55 pm »
I think I’m fine at 1.75 as I found the 1966 Shure literature for the Cartridge, I have the Yellow Stylus.  Maybe once I get my deep cleaner I will be able to drop the weight a little.

rotarius

« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2018, 11:02 pm »
Just curious, was it an actual Jico, in their box, or EVG Japan?  Seems to be a difference in quality level at times. 

Chico Jim

• Trust your ears
« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2018, 11:28 pm »
I feel a bit stupid, I just cleaned the Jico, there was a micro glob of something dark on it, old record grunge.  Put her back in and so far sounds darn nice again.  Oh yeah, tracking at 1.5g.  Made in the USA

Chico Jim

• Trust your ears
« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2018, 11:51 pm »
You guys are great for putting up with a guy who just got back into vinyl after a nearly 30 year absence. With the Jico nice and clean I dropped down to 1.25g on an lp that was a popper/skipper before a hand cleaning. It’s playing flawlessly and sounding even better, Jethro Tull’s Benefit😎