CST-1 upgrades

Groovin

CST-1 upgrades
« on: 16 May 2020, 07:17 pm »
Completed all upgrades and I'm so impressed with the bass of these. The wife loves them so now i bought the IOTAVX stack to power them. I liked the features and price. Thanks  Danny  and Audio Circle 👍
« Last Edit: 16 May 2020, 11:26 pm by Groovin »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: CST-1 upgrades
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2020, 08:45 pm »
My friend just did this upgrade too.  After the upgrades, he said, and I quote:

"The vinyl just comes alive in this thing now. I’m embarrassed with how it sounded before [on my old speakers] compared to now. It was ROUGH. That’s basically a Victrola relative to what it is now.

It’s balanced, smooth, clear, dynamic, and not at all harsh.

And the cabinets are just producing this kind of bass I’ve never really experienced in a loud speaker. I feel like it is what I have been dreaming of.

I just didn’t think I’d have it so soon."

Here's some pics of the work we did:

In addition to the Sonicap upgrade, we bypassed all caps with Miflex copper foil.  For cabinet stuffing, in addition to the Norez, we used lambswool. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2020, 09:54 pm »

Nice! :thumb:

Was the lambswool in addition to the No-Res really beneficial?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2020, 10:17 pm »
We just used the lambswool in place of the polyfil that would normally go in there.  And yes, I like lambswool a lot better.  Plus, not itchy like fiberglass would be.

Main thing is you don't want to overstuff, that will make things more dull.  It should fill the space but not be compressed.  It should stay "fluffy".

Groovin

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2020, 11:23 pm »
My friend just did this upgrade too.  After the upgrades, he said, and I quote:

"The vinyl just comes alive in this thing now. I’m embarrassed with how it sounded before [on my old speakers] compared to now. It was ROUGH. That’s basically a Victrola relative to what it is now.

It’s balanced, smooth, clear, dynamic, and not at all harsh.

And the cabinets are just producing this kind of bass I’ve never really experienced in a loud speaker. I feel like it is what I have been dreaming of.

I just didn’t think I’d have it so soon."

Here's some pics of the work we did:

In addition to the Sonicap upgrade, we bypassed all caps with Miflex copper foil.  For cabinet stuffing, in addition to the Norez, we used lambswool.
.  I was very happy with the outcome.  I’m excited to here the difference in sound after replacing my old Onkyo

Wind Chaser

« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2020, 11:43 pm »
What did you replace your Onkyo  receiver with?

Groovin

« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2020, 02:30 am »
What did you replace your Onkyo  receiver with?
.    IOTA VX SA3 & PA3 I hope it was a good decision?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2020, 05:36 am »
.    IOTA VX SA3 & PA3 I hope it was a good decision?

Never heard of it but it looks interesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcrxet8wiLw

lincolnmat

« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2020, 01:04 pm »
We just used the lambswool in place of the polyfil that would normally go in there.  And yes, I like lambswool a lot better.  Plus, not itchy like fiberglass would be.

Main thing is you don't want to overstuff, that will make things more dull.  It should fill the space but not be compressed.  It should stay "fluffy".

Unless you are allergic to wool like I am!  :lol:

How far down did you go with the No Rez? Were you able to somehow work it into the lowest rear compartment? Between length and flexibility of my arm I couldn't make it.

Groovin

« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2020, 04:42 pm »
Unless you are allergic to wool like I am!  :lol:

How far down did you go with the No Rez? Were you able to somehow work it into the lowest rear compartment? Between length and flexibility of my arm I couldn't make it.
All the way down to the top of the second last support covered it all. It was difficult Going to get a camera from work so I can see the rest. I think I can get the rest from the bottom port they sound so much better as is.  Skillsaw worked great cutting it and scissors for trimming around top ports.

Pez

« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2020, 01:38 am »
Had a chance to go over to my friends place (same friend Tyson was referring to) today and give a listen. First things first, what you don't get from reading and looking at photos is just how much of a pain in the ass DIY can be. Unfortunately the Crossover board made the battle a difficult one. It took several attempts to get things right as the solder tabs would break off randomly necessitating a bit of emergency surgery. Not to mention all the other problems that tend to show up in pairs, like unwanted in-laws.

After Tyson hogged the sweet spot for half of an eternity I got a chance to sit down and get a serious listen in. A few tweaky things (absolute polarity) we managed to dial them in and all I can say is Damn! All the irritation of stacked minor issues were worth it. Incredible soundstage and imaging. Fantastically tight and musical bass and smooth overall presentation. A very capable setup that Anyone would be impressed with. I have to say, I was reserved about what to expect, being that I hadn't heard them prior to the mods all I had to base my opinion on were Dan's other similar options that always impressed me. the CST-1s were a perfect balance between power and fidelity that is hard to balance in a condo/loft type setup. These are right at home and punch well above their weight class. Two enthusiastic thumbs up from me.  :thumb: :thumb:

Groovin

« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2020, 03:29 am »
Had a chance to go over to my friends place (same friend Tyson was referring to) today and give a listen. First things first, what you don't get from reading and looking at photos is just how much of a pain in the ass DIY can be. Unfortunately the Crossover board made the battle a difficult one. It took several attempts to get things right as the solder tabs would break off randomly necessitating a bit of emergency surgery. Not to mention all the other problems that tend to show up in pairs, like unwanted in-laws.

After Tyson hogged the sweet spot for half of an eternity I got a chance to sit down and get a serious listen in. A few tweaky things (absolute polarity) we managed to dial them in and all I can say is Damn! All the irritation of stacked minor issues were worth it. Incredible soundstage and imaging. Fantastically tight and musical bass and smooth overall presentation. A very capable setup that Anyone would be impressed with. I have to say, I was reserved about what to expect, being that I hadn't heard them prior to the mods all I had to base my opinion on were Dan's other similar options that always impressed me. the CST-1s were a perfect balance between power and fidelity that is hard to balance in a condo/loft type setup. These are right at home and punch well above their weight class. Two enthusiastic thumbs up from me.  :thumb: :thumb:
          The first speaker was horrible the wire kept breaking also finally hot glued them from moving and that worked great.   The second one was easy had all the measurements For no-rez  and the soldering Figured out. Very impressed with the outcome 👍👍

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 18 May 2020, 12:06 pm »
I'm disappointed I missed out on the CST-1. It would have made for a really nice learning experience before working on building the NX Studios for my room, and i was definitely considering it back in March when this mess started, cuz I think they'd have worked well in our family room.
Oh well, too late for that now!
Maybe if I can get my hands on some Neo3 PDRs with deep cups, I can build a set of N-3s instead.  :P

Groovin

« Reply #13 on: 18 May 2020, 03:56 pm »
I thought I missed out I called to inquire about them and Danny said they were sold out. So I hung up. After that I wasn’t on the fence about the purchase I felt I missed out. Then my phone rang and I almost didn’t answer because I didn’t recognize the number. It was Danny asking me if I still wanted a pair they had 1 more set. So I said yes. Did I say the No-Rez made a crazy difference.

charmerci

« Reply #14 on: 18 May 2020, 04:03 pm »

Groovin

« Reply #15 on: 19 May 2020, 12:19 am »
Did I forget a period  :duh: who cares it’s audio forum and I respond with my phone

charmerci

« Reply #16 on: 19 May 2020, 12:56 am »
Did I forget a period  :duh: who cares it’s audio forum and I respond with my phone
Nah, I was lambasting you for that extra period a few posts ago!  :nono:

(Actually, you can't retract/delete a post here so the standard procedure is just to replace it with a period.)