DIY'ers in TO

mantisory

• My Blog
DIY'ers in TO
« on: 1 Nov 2007, 03:35 pm »
I am just wondering if there are any DIY'ers in this 'circle and, if so, if any are interested in some anodizing.
I am building an amplifier and have just started the case which is currently raw aluminum plate. I checked around TO to various shops and they all figure the cost would be at least 200$ for the 2 heatsinks and the front panel!
So, after looking around on the 'net it appears that, safety issues in mind, anodizing should not be all that difficult. Now i am wondering - are there any of you out there who would be interested in trying this out with me? I think the costs should be fairly low - sulphuric acid is relatively cheap, and the other needed thing are the various buckets, and a power supply (which i was thinking to build with a cheap transformer from Active or something)
Let me know if you're interested.
Byron

wafermadness

Re: DIY'ers in TO
« Reply #1 on: 4 Nov 2007, 06:07 pm »
I am just wondering if there are any DIY'ers in this 'circle and, if so, if any are interested in some anodizing.
I am building an amplifier and have just started the case which is currently raw aluminum plate. I checked around TO to various shops and they all figure the cost would be at least 200$ for the 2 heatsinks and the front panel!
So, after looking around on the 'net it appears that, safety issues in mind, anodizing should not be all that difficult. Now i am wondering - are there any of you out there who would be interested in trying this out with me? I think the costs should be fairly low - sulphuric acid is relatively cheap, and the other needed thing are the various buckets, and a power supply (which i was thinking to build with a cheap transformer from Active or something)
Let me know if you're interested.
Byron

Hi Byron,

I have a plating machine, which I would be willing to loan to you for your experiments. I do not have ANY experience with it as my late father was the one who bought and used it for plating jewelry etc.

Regards
Igor

mantisory

• My Blog
Re: DIY'ers in TO
« Reply #2 on: 6 Nov 2007, 07:08 pm »
wow, that'd be great! thanks!