Anyone here using hearing aids to listen to music?...music,not streaming

Huck

Both of the hearing tests I had included both ears separately.  Thankfully I have no tinnitus or major differences between although I grew up on a farm with lots of heavy machinery and no hearing protection.  Rain means change in atmospheric pressure (and against your ear drums), so yes it's reasonable to assume it could affect your tinnitus.  I'd avoid living in the mountains or going skydiving. 

I'm doubtful that any hearing aid companies have much in the line of sophisticated tone controls.  They seem to focus on hearing conversations and frequencies between 1,000 and 8,000 Hz.  My last test only gave readings at 1,000, 1,500, 2,000, 4,000, and 8,000 Hz - very disappointing.  Again not helpful for conversation or crowds - my complaints.  And not useful for other everyday needs.  But have some annoying side effects (fluttering in the slightest wind, have to remove to shower/haircuts, somewhat interfere with my glasses, and of course the $2,000 USD out of pocket).
After seeing your experiences with your HA's,I am not looking forward at all to 'what's coming',as far as what's available to 'fix' my bad hearing.
Taking them out to shower/bath/wash hair/haircuts/sleep...looks like a real PITA,to be 'looking forward to',but I gotta do what I gotta do....you gotta hear.
I guess I will keep trying each HA maker and app till I find something(maybe not) that works to my own satisfaction with music.Huck
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2022, 02:32 pm by Huck »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
For the most part the tone controls are in the programs.  My aids can have about a half dozen.  There are "tone controls" that are on the phone app.
I've had the tinnitus program, which I described as random wind chimes.  I didn't find it effective, but I've lived with tinnitus so long I've learned to ignore it. 

Huck

For the most part the tone controls are in the programs.  My aids can have about a half dozen.  There are "tone controls" that are on the phone app.
I've had the tinnitus program, which I described as random wind chimes.  I didn't find it effective, but I've lived with tinnitus so long I've learned to ignore it.
Thanks for that,but I do realize that the tone controls are on the app,but I was curious about 'separate' left and right controls.
I am talking about people that have varying differences in each ear,so a common control that does both ears simultaneously won't be good for them...I dunno,just thinking here,(maybe too much?!) Huck

S Clark

Yes, I have separate tone controls for each- through the phone app.

Huck

Yes, I have separate tone controls for each- through the phone app.
So,there is such a thing.What app is that? Thanks,Huck

S Clark

I went back to the app and saw that I looked at it wrong.  Sorry. 
But I have gone in to my provider after going to the local symphony to increase levels at 3800-4200 Hz-- to boost a bit of the range of the piccolo that was missing.  We went up 2bB. 
I have two different music programs... one specialized for vocals. 

Huck

So,from what I have 'gathered' here and there is that the HA app is just as important as the actual HA's as long as the app/phone and HA's are compatible with each other.
Another added expense for me will be be a flat phone (I guess they are all flat now) to control the HA's...does it have to be a 'smart' phone,or will a 'dumb' phone be ok?.
My wife has one,(I-phone) but I can't really/want to use it,as I need my own.
Can I do the HA controlling with a laptop instead,which I have now,or do I have to have a phone?Thanks,Huck
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2022, 05:28 pm by Huck »

S Clark

Most work better with an Apple phones.  I used to have a Samsung, but the interphase didn't have the sophistication of the Apple. 

artur9

I am trying to do most of my 'homework' before I actually go in for my hearing test and the possible fitment or choice of HA's this week.
I got thinking last night,which is what I usually do,(wife always says I think too much) and that was about separate tone controls available for each ear for people who have different 'problems' in each ear.

The ears are measured and "corrected" independently of one another so no need for this type of control.

The ones I have had different settings programmable by the audiologist.  I said "had" because ultimately I didn't use them and they got disabled.

One setting was for a "restaurant" setting with lots of noise all around.
Another was "music" which made slight changes to the processing.  The HA "knows" what it's hearing and "knows" it's supposed to enhance speech.  The music setting made it less likely to consider the music to be background noise.  Still made music less lovable.

Huck

Most work better with an Apple phones.  I used to have a Samsung, but the interphase didn't have the sophistication of the Apple.
Thanks.Since I don't have a phone yet,maybe I should see if at least three HA models use the same phone system,(I-phone) for their app,as I plan on trying as many makes/models HA's as possible.
I am looking at at least three makers,(Phonak,Widex,Resound),but not sure yet which makes my AO carries.
I will have to find whatever HA's use the same phone system,as I want to try at least 3 makers.Thanks,Huck

Huck

Thanks,Huck

Huck

The ears are measured and "corrected" independently of one another so no need for this type of control.

The ones I have had different settings programmable by the audiologist.  I said "had" because ultimately I didn't use them and they got disabled.

One setting was for a "restaurant" setting with lots of noise all around.
Another was "music" which made slight changes to the processing.  The HA "knows" what it's hearing and "knows" it's supposed to enhance speech.  The music setting made it less likely to consider the music to be background noise.  Still made music less lovable.
I really did not want to hear that....."Still made music less loveable" lol! Huck

Huck

Right now I am treating these HA's as just another piece of 'audio gear',not 'hearing gear',same as I would if I were in the market for a new pre-amp,amp,or speakers...I will audition as many as I can and if that particular dealer(or AO) won't accomodate that audition,or won't work with me on making them 'right',(HA's)I will go somewhere else that will....bottom line.
Listening to music is my main hobby,probably more-so than talking or hearing speech,although I like some TV.
I don't need the HA's to be able to hear what someone is whispering 10 feet away,which just reminded me of the HA commercial where the daughter and hubby are whispering and she says"Did you bring them" and the father sitting 10 feet away says..."Condoms Charlie,she wants to know if you brought the condoms".
I just want to listen to my music the same as before my hearing loss,if that is even possible and if that is being stubborn or picky,then it is.Huck :lol:

S Clark

Your success will be proportional to your HA providers commitment to achieving your goals.  Most brands of hearing aids at the top of their model range can get excellent results.... if your provider will spend the time with you to repeatedly tweak based on your evaluation and input.  I built a rubrik for evaluation and made sure that my terminology was something that she understood.  Example: Sound stage wasn't in her vocabulary, but when we got the idea across, it was something that she understood and could correct for.  Detail, tonality, dynamic range, precision of instrument placement... these were all things she understood.  But it didn't occur to one of the reps that I expected to hear each drum of a drumset in it's proper space.  He needed a little education. 
Those that have had poor results either had a different variety of hearing loss that I have, or simply didn't get the most out of their units ( depending on the time spent by the audiologist).  This is an expensive investment.  Make sure you get the most out of it, and don't settle for mediocre.  These units were designed for speech, but they can be made to be musical. 

Huck

Your success will be proportional to your HA providers commitment to achieving your goals.  Most brands of hearing aids at the top of their model range can get excellent results.... if your provider will spend the time with you to repeatedly tweak based on your evaluation and input.  I built a rubrik for evaluation and made sure that my terminology was something that she understood.  Example: Sound stage wasn't in her vocabulary, but when we got the idea across, it was something that she understood and could correct for.  Detail, tonality, dynamic range, precision of instrument placement... these were all things she understood.  But it didn't occur to one of the reps that I expected to hear each drum of a drumset in it's proper space.  He needed a little education. 
Those that have had poor results either had a different variety of hearing loss that I have, or simply didn't get the most out of their units ( depending on the time spent by the audiologist).  This is an expensive investment.  Make sure you get the most out of it, and don't settle for mediocre.  These units were designed for speech, but they can be made to be musical.
Yeah,like I said previously,I will treat these HA's just as if they were just another piece of expensive audio gear I am interested in purchasing.Thanks,Huck

Huck

I just know mine aren't very good.

Do you need just a touch up (in-ear, probably) or heavy-duty aid (behind the ear).

I found this article helpful:
https://www.analogplanet.com/content/two-months-widex%E2%80%99s-moment-440-mric-r-d-hearing-aids-part-2
Very good article..Thanks a lot for posting it! Huck

S Clark

I tried that Widex unit.  They were the company whose rep came to my house to get an idea of what I was talking about when discussing sound stage, instrument placement, etc.  Before hearing a good system, he had no idea.  He was so proud of his "music" setting and had me pick out a piece on his phone that could be streamed directly into my ear.  This was the setting that I said sounded like a transistor radio from the late 50's.  It was completely unacceptable, yet they thought they'd really come up with something.  However, with enough adjustments, we got it sounding quite good.  I thought it had the best tonality of the bunch, but lacked low bass... something I couldn't live with. 

Oh yeah, he was stunned when I took out the diffusers I had placed in front of the TV, and put the coffee table back in front of the couch... sound stage collapsed and detail disappeared.  He simply had no idea... nor do any of their sound engineers that are so focused on speech. 

Huck

I tried that Widex unit.  They were the company whose rep came to my house to get an idea of what I was talking about when discussing sound stage, instrument placement, etc.  Before hearing a good system, he had no idea.  He was so proud of his "music" setting and had me pick out a piece on his phone that could be streamed directly into my ear.  This was the setting that I said sounded like a transistor radio from the late 50's.  It was completely unacceptable, yet they thought they'd really come up with something.  However, with enough adjustments, we got it sounding quite good.  I thought it had the best tonality of the bunch, but lacked low bass... something I couldn't live with. 

Oh yeah, he was stunned when I took out the diffusers I had placed in front of the TV, and put the coffee table back in front of the couch... sound stage collapsed and detail disappeared.  He simply had no idea... nor do any of their sound engineers that are so focused on speech.

Yeah,pretty bad about the streaming on phone bit.They(AO's),I think most,don't speak the same language as 'us'....for sure! They listen,but they don't 'hear' what you are trying to convey,music -wise,if you know what I mean.They think that listening to music is sitting down reading a book and listening on your clock radio or something.
Right now before even checking any other HA's,I want to try the Widex Moment 440,either the 'm' or the 'p' model depending on how bad my hearing is...I will know this week.
Now I have to do my homework on which phone system (I don't have one now)to go with....I don't need another $1200 plus expense for a phone just to control my HA's,or do I?.
This is showing how dumb I am on the phones...do I need a Smart or a Dumb one will do?Thanks, Huck

S Clark

I bought a new iPhone 11 a few months back.  Ran about $500.  If you must have the latest model get ready to pay, but they still have stock of last years models. 

Huck

I bought a new iPhone 11 a few months back.  Ran about $500.  If you must have the latest model get ready to pay, but they still have stock of last years models.
I don't have to have the latest model phone,just gonna use it to adjust HA's...maybe there is a model 'smart' enough,but without all the other bells and whistles I won't use (fancy camera,fancy graphics,etc).
What about buying a used phone?...not sure what's involved if I go that way.
Not sure really.Huck :?