Yup..another recommendation needed...this time Marillion

Huck

Hi: Looking for the 'heaviest' sounding Marillion title,either CD or streaming.  :popcorn:Thanks,Huck

Samac

Re: Yup..another recommendation needed...this time Marillion
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2022, 03:13 pm »
Hi: Looking for the 'heaviest' sounding Marillion title,either CD or streaming.  :popcorn:Thanks,Huck

Been a Marillion fan since the release of Misplaced Childhood. I listen almost exclusively to BH (Before Hogarth) material but I have the first couple of albums with Steve Hogarth that I enjoy.

I suppose the “heaviest” sounding releases that I’m familiar with would be Fugazi and Script For a Jester’s Tear. Great stuff. My favorite Marillion albums are Misplaced Childhood and Clutching at Staws. Give any of them a try. There’s some fantastic music on offer.

Cheers,

Scott

Huck

« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2022, 05:31 pm »
Been a Marillion fan since the release of Misplaced Childhood. I listen almost exclusively to BH (Before Hogarth) material but I have the first couple of albums with Steve Hogarth that I enjoy.

I suppose the “heaviest” sounding releases that I’m familiar with would be Fugazi and Script For a Jester’s Tear. Great stuff. My favorite Marillion albums are Misplaced Childhood and Clutching at Staws. Give any of them a try. There’s some fantastic music on offer.

Cheers,

Scott
Thanks,I will check em out tonight.Huck

simoon

« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2022, 07:22 pm »
The album Brave has some pretty heavy stuff, for Marillion.

But 'heavy' does not come to mind when I think of Marillion.

Huck

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2022, 07:25 pm »
The album Brave has some pretty heavy stuff, for Marillion.

But 'heavy' does not come to mind when I think of Marillion.

Thanks...I believe that one,"Brave" is a live album,so how is the sound quality? Thanks,Huck

simoon

« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2022, 08:01 pm »
Thanks...I believe that one,"Brave" is a live album,so how is the sound quality? Thanks,Huck

Not a live album. Studio concept album.

Sound quality is good.

Huck

« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2022, 08:32 pm »
Not a live album. Studio concept album.

Sound quality is good.
Amazon Unlimited has both live and studio albums listed,actually they have 4 versions(2018,2013Live,2019Live,plus original)so I was curious about sound quality,but I will listen to all 4 versions tonight.Thanks,Huck

rbbert

« Reply #7 on: 27 Sep 2022, 08:33 pm »
IMHO the first 10-15 years of the "H" era are noticeably inferior to earlier and later.  The "H" era became more worthwhile around the time of the Marbles album and has continued to be mostly worthwhile.  However, Marillion is a "Prog" band, not really a "heavy" band.

The Fish era studio albums are all good, as is most of the live stuff (much of it equal to the studio albums for sound quality).
In the "H" era the live albums are almost invariably better musically (and often sonically) than the studio albums; this is most dramatic for the material that first appeared in the albums released in the 20th century, which for whatever reason is much more interesting on later live albums.  In general, the albums recorded at "Marillion Weekends" are the best

Huck

« Reply #8 on: 27 Sep 2022, 08:55 pm »
IMHO the first 10-15 years of the "H" era are noticeably inferior to earlier and later.  The "H" era became more worthwhile around the time of the Marbles album and has continued to be mostly worthwhile.  However, Marillion is a "Prog" band, not really a "heavy" band.

The Fish era studio albums are all good, as is most of the live stuff (much of it equal to the studio albums for sound quality).
In the "H" era the live albums are almost invariably better musically (and often sonically) than the studio albums; this is most dramatic for the material that first appeared in the albums released in the 20th century, which for whatever reason is much more interesting on later live albums.  In general, the albums recorded at "Marillion Weekends" are the best
Thanks,Huck

simoon

« Reply #9 on: 28 Sep 2022, 05:08 pm »

Being a prog band, does not exclude a band from also being heavy.

They are not mutually exclusive attributes.

But I agree, Marillion are not a heavy band, overall. Although, they have had their moments.

rbbert

« Reply #10 on: 28 Sep 2022, 11:03 pm »
There are some prog bands that are "heavy"; Dream Theater is one archetype of that sub-genre, King Crimson often leans that way as well.  There are also more traditional prog bands that occasionally get heavy, such as Porcupine Tree.  I would say that Marillion only rarely gets heavy, and it is certainly not one of their strengths.