New Phono stage: PH 9.0 MM/MC with on-the-fly loading!

modwright

Re: New Phono stage: PH 9.0 MM/MC with on-the-fly loading!
« Reply #80 on: 4 Dec 2018, 01:56 am »
More PH 9.0 Feedback as Production Run #2 units ship!

Reviews are also in the works. We are getting ready to order chassis for production run #3!

...after having the PH 9.0 in this system for four days I have been so amazed by the soundstage improvements while listening to vinyl that I haven’t made time to open the Oppo Mod boxes yet. It’s like every track I listen to is now telling its story with a new voice.

My impressions of my new experience with some of the vinyl I have owned for many years:
* “The Genius Sings the Blues” presented an audibly better “feel” of the size of the recording venue for all of the tracks.
* Bob James and Earl Klugh’s “One on One” on Columbia’s 1981 half-speed master sprang forward with new breadth/depth in the performances and intricate detail from the original attempt at a “FourPlay” like ensemble. The feel of the venue was projected with a new sense of realness, the sound stage was so large and the spatial cues were captivating.
* Al Jarreau “Look into the Rainbow” - “Better than Anything” was so much better (the feel of the concert hall, sounds from the audience, size of the stage and placement of the musicians accompanying Al’s masterful instrument felt so real) and hearing the improvements while listening to “We Got By” took me back to the last opportunity I’ll ever hear him live in concert…

After just a few days with the PH9.0 I'm still experiencing more of everything I love about vinyl (lifelike warmth, midrange presence, layers & soundstage depth, etc.) But, now I hear the type of inner detail, resolution & time correct midbass foundation that always draws me to hi-res digital file listening. Every album vinyl track has been more enjoyable than the previous one as this device continues to settle into my system.

I'm so glad I had the chance to meet you and hear the PH9.0 at RMAF. I would never have been able to imagine the possibility of this level of improvement at this price point. All of this enjoyment and room in the budget for more vinyl…

- M. Holland, 12.3.18

billc

« Reply #81 on: 22 Dec 2018, 06:48 pm »
Dan,

Congratulations on a very positive review for the PH 9.0, by Steve Guttenberg!

https://www.cnet.com/news/this-preamp-lets-you-hear-deeper-into-the-sound-of-lps/

BillC

modwright

« Reply #82 on: 28 Dec 2018, 01:44 am »
Thanks! Here is a youtube review by Steve Guttenberg, 'The Audiophilia', that just came out today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=EyQsDY0-0L4&fbclid=IwAR1AhiVDkhNoP4DhB0wAWSSxqzEIGAHMfH2Sy_SzoPzr9z8DLHpPSXLrPy0

modwright

« Reply #83 on: 2 Jun 2019, 10:40 pm »
New Review by Greg Weaver, writing for Positive Feedback Online:

https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/modwright-instruments-ph-9-0-phono-stage/?fbclid=IwAR2yLtxJ9vItYyTqO8ErbEecH-Qv_6Za5i4wrfb59DC-mU8Ssk-YSnR40W8

Excerpts from Greg's review (evaluted in Greg's > $300K Reference System)!

Finally, I want to single out its remarkably realistic tonal balance, octave to octave. Tonality and texture are rendered with remarkable accuracy, substance, and faithfulness across the entire audio spectrum, giving the PH 9.0 one of the most authentic voices I've heard under about $6000. This attribute, along with its astonishing degree of quietness, bass and general pitch definition, and its startling dynamic prowess, make this one of, if not the, most attractive phono stages available in today's market, maybe for as much as twice its asking price.

I am not exaggerating when I say that this latest phono stage from ModWright may just be, pound-for-pound, the most significant achievement in performance per dollar that ModWright has yet achieved.

It is one of the most accomplished and over-achieving performers available in its class, PERIOD!
- G. Weaver, Positive Feedback Online

I want to thank Greg for such a great review! The PH 9.0 is a phono stage that we at MWI are all quite proud of! My intent to realize as close as possible, the performance of the $7900 PH 150 in the $2900 PH 9.0, was realized!

nature boy

« Reply #84 on: 21 Feb 2020, 12:00 am »
I just ordered my Modwright PH 9.0 from Dan. I am so looking forward to having it in my system. I originally signed up as a beta tester, but had some unexpected expenses come up. I was really taken with Dan's PH 150 and Ambrose amp & pre a few years ago at the Capital Audio Fest.  They sounded exceptional with a VPI Prime Signature TT & Daedalus speakers.

Can't wait for the UPS guy to show up😁.

NB

GregC

« Reply #85 on: 21 Feb 2020, 12:19 am »
I just ordered my Modwright PH 9.0 from Dan. I am so looking forward to having it in my system. I originally signed up as a beta tester, but had some unexpected expenses come up. I was really taken with Dan's PH 150 and Ambrose amp & pre a few years ago at the Capital Audio Fest.  They sounded exceptional with a VPI Prime Signature TT & Daedalus speakers.

Can't wait for the UPS guy to show up😁.

NB

It will be well worth the wait, by far my favorite phono stage I have owned.

modwright

« Reply #86 on: 21 Feb 2020, 12:22 am »
I find that when people hear it, they want to keep it!

Thank you all for your business and support!

Dan

nature boy

« Reply #87 on: 9 Mar 2020, 08:36 pm »
MWI PH 9.0 in the house. Very easy set up with instructions, let the tube & capacitor burn in begin.

NB

mreeter

« Reply #88 on: 9 Mar 2020, 11:19 pm »
Congratulations on your new PH 9.0, I think you're going to be very happy with your choice. 30-40 hours burn in, and you're set. Enjoy!

dminches

« Reply #89 on: 10 Mar 2020, 01:44 pm »
MWI PH 9.0 in the house. Very easy set up with instructions, let the tube & capacitor burn in begin.

NB

Congrats on the purchase.

JMO, but the stock EH tubes do not bring out the best in the preamp.  After things settle in I would recommend you find a nice pair of NOS or OS 6922s and use them.

modwright

« Reply #90 on: 10 Mar 2020, 02:43 pm »
We now ship with NOS EI 6dj8'S or equivalent as I was not getting consistent enough quality from EH or JJ.

Dan

dminches

« Reply #91 on: 10 Mar 2020, 02:44 pm »
We now ship with NOS EI 6dj8'S or equivalent as I was not getting consistent enough quality from EH or JJ.

Dan

I don't know those tubes specifically but that is probably a good change.  I am not a fan of either the EH or JJ.

modwright

« Reply #92 on: 10 Mar 2020, 05:09 pm »
It is not typically cost-feasible to ship tube products with NOS tubes. The only reason we do it with the phono stages now is because I can't source new production tubes that meet my standards for this application.

Dan

dminches

« Reply #93 on: 10 Mar 2020, 05:43 pm »
It is not typically cost-feasible to ship tube products with NOS tubes. The only reason we do it with the phono stages now is because I can't source new production tubes that meet my standards for this application.

Dan

I totally get it and wouldn't expect you to.  The phono sounds great with any tubes but really shines with NOS ones.  There aren't enough NOS tubes for you to guarantee you would ship the same ones.

GregC

« Reply #94 on: 10 Mar 2020, 06:03 pm »
My phono stage sounded very good with the gold pin EH tubes I received, but sounded better after I put NOS tubes in it.  I tried NOS Siemens ECC88 tubes, Amperex white label PQ tubes, and Telefunken ECC88 (vintage with the small print labels).   I upgraded the power supply umbilical cable to WyWires and that also made for a nice improvement.

jtsnead

« Reply #95 on: 10 Mar 2020, 08:01 pm »
What would be a good SUT for a Ortofon A95 .2mv output to a Modwright PH9.0 based on using the MM input the transformers on the MC input 1:5 so not sure I would have enough gain or a good match. I had a Bobs 1131 Blue I should of kept but I keep changing cartridges and the better ones are lower output

GregC

« Reply #96 on: 10 Mar 2020, 08:11 pm »
What would be a good SUT for a Ortofon A95 .2mv output to a Modwright PH9.0 based on using the MM input the transformers on the MC input 1:5 so not sure I would have enough gain or a good match. I had a Bobs 1131 Blue I should of kept but I keep changing cartridges and the better ones are lower output

Any SUT that is a good impedance match and produces enough output should work.   I am using a custom made Tribute 1:15 SUT with a ZYX Universe II 0.24 mv copper cartridge and the phono stage is quiet and sounds excellent. 

modwright

« Reply #97 on: 10 Mar 2020, 09:04 pm »
A 1:10 would be a good choice. I am working with some SUT's that I had made that are fantastic, but I have not had time to work out how to best intall them inside the phono for lowest noise and hum. The Cinemags are very good and K&K Audio has a very good high grade Lundahl solution also!

PierreB

« Reply #98 on: 17 Mar 2020, 09:45 pm »
Just receive my PH 9.0 (silver finish and balance output) this afternoon and I'm very happy.
I begin the burn-in. Very quiet, no hum.
 :thumb:

modwright

« Reply #99 on: 17 Mar 2020, 10:12 pm »
Enjoy PierreB and welcome to the MWI family!

Dan Wright