Are cheap branded OEM Windows 7 upgrades legit?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Are cheap branded OEM Windows 7 upgrades legit?
« on: 13 Aug 2010, 06:15 pm »
Is this claim true and will it work on upgrading my Windows Vista Ultimate to 7 Ultimate?  I don't care if HP logo flashes every time I turn the PC on.

srb

Re: Are cheap branded OEM Windows 7 upgrades legit?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2010, 06:34 pm »
Is this claim true and will it work on upgrading my Windows Vista Ultimate to 7 Ultimate?  I don't care if HP logo flashes every time I turn the PC on.

That's a good question.  I know that OEM versions of windows (like my Vista Ultimate 64bit OEM) are purchased as either 32bit or 64bit versions, whereas the retail versions include both discs.

I don't know whether you could upgrade (versus clean install) a 32bit Vista install to a 64bit Windows 7 install with a 64bit upgrade disc.  You might need to go 32bit to 32bit and 64bit to 64bit?

I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Steve

kgturner

« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2010, 06:45 pm »
i would think the HP logo flashing on bootup was a function of your bios. you should be able to disable that, but damned if i can remember right off what it's under in bios.

kevin t

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2010, 06:55 pm »
My SONY Vaio came with a free upgrade to Win7 when it was released, went from Vista Home Premium 64 bit to Win 7 64 bit only as I recall.

turkey

« Reply #4 on: 13 Aug 2010, 06:57 pm »
You are only allowed to use an OEM version if you are an OEM and building PCs for resale. You can't even legally do a straight install, there's a kit you need to get from MS for building your distribution version of Windows, and you have to sign an agreement with MS and become a business partner to get the kit.

MS personnel have stated that, while various tricks for using upgrade copies, or using an OEM copy for your own use may (or may not) function now, there is no guarantee they will keep on working.

Buy an upgrade copy if you have a valid OS to upgrade from, or buy a full retail copy. Or buy use Linux and get the Microsoft monkey off your back. :)

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #5 on: 13 Aug 2010, 10:03 pm »
This might help. "Create Windows 7 Universal ISO With All Editions Selection On Install with ei.cfg Removal Utility".

Here http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/11/01/create-windows-7-universal-iso-with-all-editions-selection-on-install-with-ei-cfg-removal-utility/

skunark

« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2010, 10:25 pm »
OEM "Upgrades" don't exist as far as I know, but you can purchase an OEM Windows 7 license, a full license, for about the same price as the upgrade.  The main difference that I've noticed is 1) you have to do a full install and 2) the license isn't transferable to another computer (and perhaps a major upgrade). 

In the past OEM licenses were required to be purchase with new hardware like a cpu, motherboard or even a harddrive.   There was a time that you could purchase a $15 fan to qualify.

flintstone

« Reply #7 on: 13 Aug 2010, 10:32 pm »
I bought two OEM 64 bit full installs from Newegg.......around $100 each. They don't come in a fancy package, but they worked fine.

Dave

Wind Chaser

« Reply #8 on: 13 Aug 2010, 11:06 pm »
I think as long as the seller is reputable (Atic or NCIX in Canada) then there's no problem, but about 10 years ago Micro Soft sued a local business into oblivion for getting crazy with the Cheese Whiz.  In an effort to make some profit the local establishment copied the same OS on countless times and bundled it with every machine that went out the door.  It was really quite amazing how long it took for MS to catch on.

turkey

« Reply #9 on: 18 Aug 2010, 03:34 pm »
OEM "Upgrades" don't exist as far as I know, but you can purchase an OEM Windows 7 license, a full license, for about the same price as the upgrade.  The main difference that I've noticed is 1) you have to do a full install and 2) the license isn't transferable to another computer (and perhaps a major upgrade). 

In the past OEM licenses were required to be purchase with new hardware like a cpu, motherboard or even a harddrive.   There was a time that you could purchase a $15 fan to qualify.

They've changed that. At this point they only want resellers to use OEM copies of Windows.

turkey

« Reply #10 on: 18 Aug 2010, 03:40 pm »
I bought two OEM 64 bit full installs from Newegg.......around $100 each. They don't come in a fancy package, but they worked fine.

That could change at any time. Did you do a regular install, or did you spin a customized version using their OPK? If not, you're living on borrowed time. :)

turkey

« Reply #11 on: 18 Aug 2010, 03:57 pm »
I think as long as the seller is reputable (Atic or NCIX in Canada) then there's no problem, but about 10 years ago Micro Soft sued a local business into oblivion for getting crazy with the Cheese Whiz.  In an effort to make some profit the local establishment copied the same OS on countless times and bundled it with every machine that went out the door.  It was really quite amazing how long it took for MS to catch on.

Ever since XP they have been building in features that make it easier to track this kind of thing, plus they have been more aggressive about doing so.