Bootlegging Microsofts WordPerfect 12

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Bootlegging Microsofts WordPerfect 12
« on: 29 Nov 2007, 06:49 pm »
Hello guys!

My wife is in dire need of "Word" on her PC. I've got "Microsoft's WordPerfect 12" on mine which includes everthing she needs, but I'll never use it. Last night I 'successfully' burned a CD copy of the entire folder, and loaded it on hers. I can click through all of the subfolders, but am unable to get the software to launch.
I assume there's set-up files missing? I assume the software is smart enough to recognize it's being ripped off and doesn't give you everything you need. I realise what I'm asking here, but in my fuzzy little happy world filled with innocence I don't feel I'm doing anything wrong. MS "may" believe otherwise I'm sure.  :roll:
So anyway, is it possible to make my wife happy without buying the "legal" copy?

Bob

mgalusha

Re: Bootlegging Microsofts WordPerfect 12
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2007, 06:56 pm »
There are many registry entries that will be missing from just a file copy and likely some files it drops in the windows\system32 directory.

Why not give Open Office a try? It's free and the word processor is very good and will happily read and write MS Word files.

http://www.openoffice.org/

mca

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2007, 07:05 pm »
Google has a pretty good web based alternative also:

docs.google.com

mgalusha

« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2007, 07:18 pm »
docs.google.com

I've tried their spreadsheet app and it works OK but since Google seems to index everything in the known universe I would hesitant to put any sensitive data in one of their apps. But then again I'm a bit paranoid, worked for the government too long.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2007, 07:24 pm »
OOOhhh, these both look like extremely good alternatives.
Thanks fellas. You both may have made me a hero in my wifes eyes.  aa

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2007, 07:27 pm »
I'm currently checking out the openoffice version. It's asking if I want the Java JRE included with the download. Is this nessesary for my uses?

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 29 Nov 2007, 07:28 pm »
It says:

"The Java Runtime Environment (JRE) is required for the Base (database) component of OpenOffice.org as well as several other features. By default the OpenOffice.org installer will install this additional piece of software as well. For more information: Java & OpenOffice.org."

Doesn't appear I need it??

Bob

BradJudy

« Reply #7 on: 29 Nov 2007, 07:31 pm »
I don't think the JRE is required, but it doesn't really hurt either. 

If you only need word processing and not spreadsheets/etc, then another good free alternative is AbiWord - http://www.abisource.com/