Wired Home Networking (for a newbee)

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Wired Home Networking (for a newbee)
« Reply #80 on: 27 Sep 2007, 01:56 am »
Congrats.  Sometimes you just gotta plow through it - wish I could have been of more help, just never set one up that way before.

It may be that not all of your directories are shared and visible to the outside world. 

Bryan

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #81 on: 27 Sep 2007, 02:03 am »
( I edited reply #79 as you where posting Bryan)

Yea, I plowed through alright. With lots of help from you guys. This sucks. Not my area of expertise. I'm pretty good at Windows, but never messed with anything "router,IP,UPnP,DNS,Sublet,gateway,TCP/IP" before.
I can't imagine how many collective DAYS I have invested in this.  :roll: :oops:
It would have taken one of you guys 30 minutes to do it. And that includes drinking a few beers, and going to the bathroom once.  :duh:

Now....to figure out how to get the directories to share.
Bob

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #82 on: 27 Sep 2007, 02:07 am »
Don't pound your head against the wall - that may not be it.  It can be a ton of other little nasties.  Things like the directory being in a persons profile so if that person isn't logged in you won't see it, etc.

I normally recommend putting things you want to share like that in a folder directly under the root (C:\whatever\files in the directory.

That way, they're always available and not in a particular persons My Documents or under somebody's desktop, etc.

Bryan

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #83 on: 27 Sep 2007, 02:15 am »
Interesting. Good point Bryan.
I'm the only profile on the Dell, and of course I'm logged in, but there's always the "phantom others" like;
- Administrator
- All users
- Bob
- Bob's documents

Why I'm listed twice is a mystery. But I don't need three of those profiles.
That'll give me something to research. I'd hate to start a wholesale, massive barrage of folder deleting, you know.

Thanks  :wink:
Bob

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #84 on: 27 Sep 2007, 02:21 am »
Nah, don't delete them, just move them (as opposed to copying).  The right mouse key is a wonderful thing.

Bryan

Rashiki

« Reply #85 on: 27 Sep 2007, 04:53 am »
Rob, you're cool.  :wink:

Aw, shucks!  :oops:

Next step would be to set up internet connection sharing on the Gateway. Check that link I sent a while back.

Are your music files in a shared directory on the Gateway PC? Since you can see some shares, you should be able to add another one. Just right click on a folder, select "sharing and security" and select the "Share this folder" button.

By the way, "gateway" is a standard TCP/IP term. The gateway address is the address that forwards data out of the local network, i.e. it's a "gateway" to the outside world.

-Rob

Rashiki

« Reply #86 on: 27 Sep 2007, 05:02 am »
I did the ipconfig at the commant prompt. I have a new IP address (that belongs to 'somebody').  :scratch:

PPP adaptor The Internet <1>:
IP address..................172.129.182.61 (who is this?)

Ethernet adaptor BOBSJUKEBOX <Gateway>:
IP address....................192.168.1.10 0

That's you! Your PC has two internet addresses. An address on the internet, and an address on your local network.

Here's the specific questions:

- What's the new address? Or is it irrelevant (I shouldn't worry about it)

It is relevant, but you shouldn't worry about it. It's assigned by your internet service provider. All you need to know is that you have one.

- How do I use/view/manipulate/transfer things from one PC to the other?

There are several ways, but the easiest would be to share folders as I mentioned in my last post. If that doesn't work for you, let us know and I'll suggest some other options.

- Why doesn't WMP11 on the Gateway "see" the internet connection?

Try the "internet connection sharing" thing. If that doesn't work, we have ways of making it work.

- When things are working properly, will I/can I see the other PC as another drive in "Explore" (found by right clicking on the START button)?

Maybe. Who knows? I don't think any version of Windows networking has ever worked properly.  :lol:

-Rob

Thump553

« Reply #87 on: 27 Sep 2007, 02:38 pm »
Theologians, what circle of Hell does networking for us amateurs belong in?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #88 on: 27 Sep 2007, 04:18 pm »
There are several ways, but the easiest would be to share folders as I mentioned in my last post.....SNIP....If that doesn't work for you, let us know and I'll suggest some other options.....SNIP....Try the "internet connection sharing" thing. If that doesn't work, we have ways of making it work.[/u]
:icon_twisted: :guns:

Maybe. Who knows? I don't think any version of Windows networking has ever worked properly.  :lol:
Great.  :roll: :| At this point I'd ask, "What do you use?".... But that would mean starting over.   :shake: :nono: :lol:

Tonight I'll have some more time to play with the file sharing, or file moving tricks. Thanks to Bryan and Rob. You guys are life savers.  :notworthy:

Dude, I don't know but if "networking Hell" has friends (aka; SAVIORS) like Woodsyi, Bryan, and Rob in it.....then we're in good hands. As I mentioned earlier, I'm very comfortable using/tweeking Windows and even digging into a CPU, but this networking thing just has too many new and unfamiliar aspects to it. I've hated this. Usually I don't mind PC stuff, but it won't bother me at all if I never do this again. Which of course I will the day highspeed is available.  :evil:
Sounds like you're having 'issues' too.  :lol:

Bob

Rashiki

« Reply #89 on: 27 Sep 2007, 04:46 pm »

I'm not a theologian, but I can speculate.  :wink: Networks are present through all the circles of hell. Amateurs end up in the first circle (Limbo). Networking "experts" end up in the eight circle (Malebolge).

Rashiki

« Reply #90 on: 27 Sep 2007, 04:56 pm »
There are several ways, but the easiest would be to
Great.  :roll: :| At this point I'd ask, "What do you use?".... But that would mean starting over.   :shake: :nono: :lol:

Well, to be honest, I don't depend on sharing files over the network. I just copy the files to all the computers that need it.

I've found that the most reliable ways of sharing data over a network are, in order:
 1)  Transactional client/servers like FTP or HTTP
 2)  UNIX networking (i.e. NFS)
 3)  MacOS networking (i.e. AFP)
 4)  Windows networking

If I absolutely had to only maintain a single copy of my files, I'd use a UNIX (or Linux or FreeBSD, etc.) system as the server and get NFS clients for all of my computers. I've done that in the past (when hard drives weren't quite so cheap) and, while it took a while to set up, once I set it up it worked.

-Rob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #91 on: 27 Sep 2007, 06:14 pm »
worked in the key word there, and ultimately what matters most.
But the rest of what you said; Transactional, FTP, NFS, AFP, was that in English? :scratch:  :wink:

Bob

Double Ugly

« Reply #92 on: 27 Sep 2007, 06:28 pm »
I've been following this thread off and on, and I have to say you're getting exceptional advice and guidance, Bob.  It isn't easy to instruct someone on a technical matter via any means of communication, especially this one, so Rob, Bryan and the others who've participated deserve big kudos!  :thumb:

I'll go out on a limb and say Rob has probably done this a time or two.  :wink:

Additionally, regardless of how clear, concise and accurate the guidance may be, it never ceases to amaze me how frequently otherwise-intelligent people will find a way (or ways) to screw it up.  IOW, you're doing a darn good job, Bob.  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #93 on: 27 Sep 2007, 06:44 pm »
Thanks D.U. but I deserve very little credit. I strive to not be a pain in the ass. I do have the ability to follow instructions, especially when the instructions given are as clear, concise, and accurate as what I've been given here. Yes, very VERY VERY large kudos to my "peeps" in this thread. And I agree, Rob has done this a time or two.  :lol: One things for sure, Rob has NEVER worked as a technical assistance operator for Dell (His head is NOT in his ass). That's for damn sure.  :o

I'd like to say again; Rob, Bryan, and Rim....Thanks again. I owe you all a favor.

Bob

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #94 on: 27 Sep 2007, 07:37 pm »
I just wish I wasn't so damned busy or I'd drop over and lay hands on it myself. 

Bryan

Rashiki

« Reply #95 on: 27 Sep 2007, 08:08 pm »
I'll go out on a limb and say Rob has probably done this a time or two.  :wink:

Yup. My first job out of college was working in a research lab. My job was described as "85% software development, 15% system administration and user support". It turned out to be more like 85% software, 80% admin and support, which is one of the reasons I quit after two years. It was a great experience to be working with brilliant people, but boy, they can be a pain in the *** sometimes. You'd think that somebody with a Ph.D. in computer science would know how to use a computer...

As for diagnosing things over email/forums, yes, I've done that as well. I tried to help a friend set up his wireless router over email. It took several days and hundreds of messages, but couldn't get it to work. I finally went over to his house to find out that he already had a wireless router built in to his DSL modem. Got it running in about a half hour after that.

Rashiki

« Reply #96 on: 27 Sep 2007, 08:11 pm »
But the rest of what you said; Transactional, FTP, NFS, AFP, was that in English? :scratch:  :wink:

Sorry, I'm speaking Acronymglish.

FTP = File Transfer Protocol
NFS = Network File System
AFP = Apple Filing Protocol

Rashiki

« Reply #97 on: 27 Sep 2007, 08:12 pm »
AFP = Apple Filing Protocol

Please note that this is different from the Apple Filling Protocol, which is implemented when baking an apple pie.  :wink:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #98 on: 27 Sep 2007, 09:38 pm »
Please note that this is different from the Apple Filling Protocol, which is implemented when baking an apple pie.  :wink:
Yea, I think I saw how that's done in the movie American Pie:rotflmao:

You definitely know what you're talking about regarding networking etc....
That had to be frustrating to help your buddy through so many emails, only to fix it in 30 minutes once you gets your hands on it.
   :| That would suck.
I can almost see your reaction when you discovered the problem, "OH, THERE IT IS....".  :roll:

Bryan, no problem man.
I'd love to have you out sometime. And I don't mean to 'work', I mean to visit. (Of course I'd probably grill your ass on my rooms acoustic qualities.  :lol:
Like Rob, I'm sure you could have fixed my thing in no time at all. It make all the difference in the world when you can SEE what you're working on. The answer was on the screen the whole time, but I never knew what I was looking at.
See it all the time in my industry too.

Bob