EAC crashes my computer - every time

bkwiram

EAC crashes my computer - every time
« on: 29 Jul 2006, 08:36 pm »
I have a Dell inspiron 4100 laptop running Windows XP Pro with the latest (as of today) windows updates.

I have now installed EAC twice on my computer. (Just downloaded it again today.) Only once have I been able to launch the program without getting a blue screen of death. I didn't even know XP still had a blue screen of death (with some text about serious error and dumping the memory to disk) but EAC has found it.

Anyone had the same problem? Is there a simple fix for this? I'd like to be able to use the program.

thanks much for info,

Brandt

bkwiram

Re: EAC crashes my computer - every time
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2006, 08:41 pm »
I suppose another question would be - does Plextools Pro XL's Extraction function do the same stuff as EAC? I have a Plextor drive, so the software should work fine.

Just like to figure out some way to get bit-perfect (or nearly so) rips done on my computer.

tx,

Brandt

Double Ugly

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2006, 10:10 pm »
Hi Brandt,

If you tire of trying, you may want to take Easy CD-DA Extractor for a spin.

I used EAC prior to Mike Galusha recommending Easy CD-DA Extractor, and I haven't regretted the purchase.  I've compared it to EAC rips - even those created following the The Ultimate Guide w/ Accurate Rip, etc. - but I could hear no difference.  I also performed a bit comparison, and they were identical.

Granted, it's $40 now (was $25 or $29 when I bought it), but IMO it's worth it.  I rip, convert and compress all at once, at speeds EAC can only dream of, and as far as I can tell, the files are exactly the same as those produced by EAC.

YMMV...

-Jim

mfsoa

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2006, 01:20 am »
D.U.- Thanks - Interesting

As anyone done a bit-for-bit on Plextools vs. EAC?

Thanks

bkwiram

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2006, 01:30 am »
That software looks pretty slick. I wish the page had more info on it, but I may well give it a try. Thanks for the tip!

-Brandt

Thump553

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2006, 02:00 pm »
Anything else crashing your system like that?  Maybe run a memory test-it could be a hardware problem.  I've ripped (to FLAC) well over 500 CDs on a Win XP media center system with no problems.  Like you, I've never even seen a BSD on a XP system.

Double Ugly

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jul 2006, 03:44 pm »
mfsoa and Brandt -

You're welcome.  :D

jhm731

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jul 2006, 04:34 pm »
I agree with Jim, Easy CD-DA Extractor and EAC ripped files are identical and I hear no difference. Someone on another forum recommended Audiograbber using it's rip to ram feature, as a better sounding alternative to EAC.

andy_c

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jul 2006, 11:51 pm »
I have a Dell inspiron 4100 laptop running Windows XP Pro with the latest (as of today) windows updates.

I have now installed EAC twice on my computer. (Just downloaded it again today.) Only once have I been able to launch the program without getting a blue screen of death. I didn't even know XP still had a blue screen of death (with some text about serious error and dumping the memory to disk) but EAC has found it.

Anyone had the same problem? Is there a simple fix for this? I'd like to be able to use the program.

Hi Brandt,

I have had that problem before.  If you get a blue screen of death, it is caused by code that runs in Windows kernel mode (IOW, device drivers) or defective hardware.  Applications run in user mode, so the only memory addresses they can access are addresses belonging to the program itself - not other programs or the OS.  OTOH, kernel mode code such as device drivers have access to all available addresses in the machine, so a faulty one can crash the OS.

When I had the problem, it was only when I changed CD drives in my machine or updated firmware of a CD drive.  I did a temporary fix by removing the EAC info from the registry and reinstalling.  This worked for a while.  Then one day I got another BSOD.  After reboot, it said new hardware was found - my sound card.  Somehow in this crash, the sound card drivers became corrupted.  So I went and downloaded the latest sound card drivers (it was an E-MU 1212M).  After doing this, my EAC crashes went away and never came back.  So in my case, the problem was faulty sound card drivers.  One thing to do might be to download the latest drivers for your sound card from the vendor and see if that fixes it.

bkwiram

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jul 2006, 01:44 pm »
Nothing else crashes my machine like this, and nothing else crashes my machine on a predictable basis. EAC is unique in my experience of Windows XP! I rip to itunes, stream to my SB3, burn cds with itunes or Nero, etc. etc. No crashes.

I will have to see if my sound card has downloadable drivers. Am willing to give it a try. I should say that the BSD comes up as soon as I launch EAC - I don't even get to see the software window - I just double-click on the EAC icon and my computer instantly packs it in.

tx,

Brandt

andy_c

« Reply #10 on: 31 Jul 2006, 02:46 pm »
Nothing else crashes my machine like this, and nothing else crashes my machine on a predictable basis. EAC is unique in my experience of Windows XP! I rip to itunes, stream to my SB3, burn cds with itunes or Nero, etc. etc. No crashes.

It was the same for me too.

Be sure to delete up the EAC registry entries.  Unfortunately, this will lose your EAC configuration.  You can find the entries by doing a search for AWsoftware in regedit.  You can do File, Export in regedit to save the registry if you want to later restore it.