Driving Multiple USB DACs?

Bwanagreg

« on: 20 Feb 2006, 02:12 pm »
I'd like to expand my music server system to drive a second USB DAC for use in an outdoor system (yes, it's February in Chicago and I'm planning for warmer times   :( ).

I have an XP Pro server running J River Media Center, and just purchased a HagUSB to drive my NAD receiver via SPDIF. I use an ASIO USB driver. This spring I'll retire the NAD to the second system and plan on buying a new HT Pro-Pro, either with a direct USB input or I'll get a nice stereo USB DAC to feed it. Either way, my computer would now be driving two USB DACs.

Has anyone tried something like this, or am I smokin' something? I only have one USB audio device at the moment so I can't just try it myself.

FRANKe

« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2006, 07:45 am »
Just to clarify - your HagUSB is not a USB DAC. In your setup, you are using the NAD Receiver as the DAC.

Anyway, your HagUSB is treated by your XP system as a soundcard. So I think what you are asking is - can you have multiple soundcards installed on your PC?  AFAIK you can indeed have more than one soundcard installed, but you would have to switch the output back and forth. I don't think you can output to two soundcards simultaneously.

-FRANKe

Bwanagreg

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2006, 04:02 pm »
FRANKe,

That was my guess. Anyone know something to the contrary?

By the way, the HagUSB does a very nice job.

Bwanagreg

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2006, 08:36 pm »
Well, I did a bit more digging and found the solution was already sitting on my music server. J River Media Center supports multi-zone playback, with each zone pointed at its' own soundcard. A guy on their forum says

MC11 can send audio to a number of zones.  All you need is to add another soundcard device and MC11 will use it.  I've got three USB soundcards and a USB FM tranmitter on mine along with the motherboard audio, for a total of 5 zones.  MC provides a playlist for each of them and they operate independently.

FRANKe

« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2006, 11:23 pm »
Quote from: Bwanagreg
J River Media Center supports multi-zone playback, with each zone pointed at its' own soundcard.

That's awesome. I am not familiar with J River, but I will look into it now. Thanks for the update!

Maybe when you get your second USB soundcard device and get this working, you can update us on how well it works.

-FRANKe

Bwanagreg

« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2006, 10:44 pm »
Will do. I'm working now (in my spare time  :lol: ) on getting my Dell Axim to run NetRemote to control my home theater components via my wireless network. I got the PDA remote control of JR Media Center working last night, and it's pretty sweet! Nothing cooler than scrolling through 10,000 tracks on a handheld and playing them through the big system! Once I get one system working I'll work on adding a second.