Found a really useful web email-specific ad blocker for Chrome and Firefox

andy_c

A little background: I've been using the uBlock Origin ad blocker with Firefox with very good results.  I've found my web browsing experience to be much faster than using AdBlock Plus.  However, I've found that in outlook.com and yahoo.com web-based email, the ads are removed, but there's this big empty area on the right side, which I'd like to see collapsed with a corresponding widening of the inbox message display.  In the new Yahoo email, this is especially annoying.  I'd been using the Yahoo "classic" email to avoid this problem, but they are forcing the new version on all users on Jan. 31, 2019.  This newer version has the "blank area on the right" problem.  There is an "expand" button you can click to expand the inbox, but it keeps snapping back to its narrow state - at least when using uBlock Origin in Firefox.

With a little bit of web searching, I found a reddit post in which a user recommended an add-on for Firefox called "Webmail Ad Blocker".  I installed it, and it works a charm in both outlook.com and yahoo.com web-based email.  I was especially glad to find it because of the situation with Yahoo forcing the new email version on everybody on Jan. 31.

I still use uBlock Origin for general-purpose ad blocking, but this Webmail Ad Blocker is just the icing on the cake.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
I've used AdBlock Plus for a couple (more?) years now without thinking or wondering if it slowed my internet experience down. Now, I do wonder, so I'm going to check this new one out.

Thank you for the heads up, Andy.  :thumb:

Michael

andy_c

I've used AdBlock Plus for a couple (more?) years now without thinking or wondering if it slowed my internet experience down. Now, I do wonder, so I'm going to check this new one out.

Thank you for the heads up, Andy.  :thumb:

Just in case I was unclear, I just want to reiterate that Webmail Ad Blocker is not a substitute for a general-purpose ad blocker.  It's only for web-based email sites, so you'll still need your original ad blocker.  The regular ad blocker removes the big ads from the right side of the screen on outlook.com and yahoo.com, but it leaves a big, useless blank area on the right where the ads used to be.  Webmail Ad Blocker finishes the job by expanding the inbox area all the way to the right, eliminating this big blank area.

As a general-purpose ad blocker, uBlock Origin works really well.  I found it to be faster than Adblock Plus, speeding up my web browsing. Admittedly though, its options UI is less user-friendly than that of Adblock Plus.