Switching to iPhone? You should know this first...

Folsom

No aftermarket accessories work correctly. NONE. If it isn't sold by Apple stores, it will only partially work. All lightening adapter splitter devices are GARBAGE. Headphones work and so do microphones except that the controls don't work unless it's officially supported.

They're trying to act like a bunch of shit that is just straight wires needs software support. I guarantee what they did was put in unspecified values of small resistors/inductors/capacitors so the phone can tell when you're using something official or not.

Other than that my new iPhone is pretty nice... But FUCK YOU TOO Apple... Damn, what a stupid ass headache for no reason.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Switching to iPhone? You should know this first...
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2018, 08:20 pm »
All my Apple certified aftermarket accessories work perfectly. 

toocool4

« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2018, 08:32 pm »
If you buy Apple, number 1 it’s not good value for money and number 2 you have to play by their rules. Unless you can handle that don’t go the Apple route.

ngamountains

« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2018, 08:50 pm »
I've seen similar issues.  My charging cord was down to bare wires where it meets the lightning connector, so I bought some charging cords off Amazon.  One by one they become unrecognized and useless by the phone.  If Apple is going to be this anal about something like a charging cord, they should give you one with the phone that doesn't absolutely fall apart in a year.  What a joke.

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 5 Nov 2018, 08:59 pm »
Sorry to hear about it.

I am on iPhone number 4/5 at this point.  I hardly even remember my Blackberry (except for the PERFECT keyboard it had).

I guess I have been lucky for around 10 years now.

I love that 1 device works fine for work, and REALLY well for my life.  Of course it being a work phone, I do have the support of professionals if there are issues.

But I am also the "tech support" for my wife and 2 daughters - somewhere around 9 iOS devices by last count!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 2018, 09:12 pm »
I've seen similar issues.  My charging cord was down to bare wires where it meets the lightning connector, so I bought some charging cords off Amazon.  One by one they become unrecognized and useless by the phone.  If Apple is going to be this anal about something like a charging cord, they should give you one with the phone that doesn't absolutely fall apart in a year.  What a joke.
Apple is all about teen fashion(his custumers target) that dont bother with planed obsolecense:
https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/24/18018322/apple-samsung-italy-phone-slowdown-fine-antitrust

https://www.correiodopovo.com.br/Jornalcomtecnologia/2018/10/24/italia-multa-apple-e-samsung-por-obsolescencia-programada/

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 5 Nov 2018, 09:16 pm »
I like the phone a lot. My only other problem is that it won’t allow firefox as a default. Well, and they keyboard is dumb in that it does not easily allow commas, periods, etc. I got use to that but not knowing accessories are controlled doesn’t stop you from ordering them to find out.

I feel like submitting to a single connector is plenty, but thinking you can accessorize... it wasn’t enough of bowing it turns out.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #7 on: 5 Nov 2018, 09:20 pm »
First mobile phone I ever bought, A Samsung Galaxy Note 4 I have had for four years. Still works great, will charges more than all day (more like 2.5 days) and did I mention works great.
Only fail was my pet bird chewed the charger wire, replaced with common USB wire, good to go.
Did I mention 4 years?

Folsom

« Reply #8 on: 5 Nov 2018, 09:28 pm »
My father is still using my old HTC M8. A few updates maybe confused him as a shortcut or two dissapeared over the years and can be put back. Other than that it seems fine, not sure I ever even needed to upgrade from it to this day. Although I do have a WAY better camera now in my phone.

Bemopti123

« Reply #9 on: 5 Nov 2018, 10:42 pm »

There has been a rash of "fake" Apple certified power cords on sale on Amazon and other places.  I snagged several of them before and most of them don't even last 6 months.  The Anker ones are certified and good and the apple threat of non official charging cables making iPads and iPhones potential fire hazards they do not phase me.  I am still using so many mixed cables.  Better those than paying $20 for the white shit-y Apple cable that last less than 3 months. 

I suspect that many devices that do not work well with the iPhones have to do with fake certification chips. 

jpm

« Reply #10 on: 5 Nov 2018, 11:27 pm »
In a fit of pique at the submarining of some very simple 3rd party software interaction in the new OSX Compton (or whatever they’re calling it), I dug out some surplus Dell gear to use for the rest of the year. 

Of course my Apple devotee friends just made fun of my complaint, but I’m not prepared to re-up on an expensive new multi year commitment to Apple-land without test driving Windows on my desk at home for the first time since my disgust with Win8 drove me away.

If the Apple folklore were true, this shouldn’t be happening. Compared to when I abandoned personal use Windows, our home is now very much more Apple centric, with multiple pads, phones, TVs and watches. The superiority of the Apple ecosystem should have me locked for life.

I love my big-ass iPad - prior tablets always struggled  to justify a place in my life. When I work, I love my Apple Watch for discreet notifications. However, Apple stubbornly clings to some really unappealing behaviors that push me away, hard. I’ll not list them, as everyone except the true believers have their own list.

skunark

« Reply #11 on: 6 Nov 2018, 03:24 am »
Never had an issue, even have a 30-pin adapter to one third party accessory that is over ten years old. 

Its been reported that cables sold at amazon are defective:
* 4k displayport cables (missing ground pin) - can damage video card
* USB-c. Google engineer spent months reseaching and reporting this Amazon finally folded
* lighting cables- several reports of damage to devices

In other words: Amazon is the last place you should buy cables from.   Cables have standards that must be met,  Apple doesnt block third parties from selling certified cables.     All digital IOs can disable a cable if it doesnt meet specs during boot.