Computer Problems?

GentleBender

Computer Problems?
« on: 10 Sep 2015, 07:58 pm »
Hope there is some interest in this circle after being put in the corner for a while. Us IT guys are used to being ignored until some bored executives come up with crazy pipe dreams that turn into our own personal and professional nightmares.  :lol: I wanted to contribute to this awesome site by bringing back this IT Crowd circle. So bring us your PC, Mac and other OS problems and questions and let us see if we as a team can help. Much cheaper than the *eek Squad, plus we won't have a chance to go through your pictures and account logins and post them to our friends. Not saying that would happen... :P

I'm not overly serious and like to have a good time, so lets keep this fun and not bash others for their tastes in OS flavor(s). I personally like Mac because I can easily play both Windows and Mac OS X (whatever feline, California landmark or number) it is this week.

I can't help but ask that you please try turning it off and back on again before asking for help. :thumb:

« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2015, 08:59 pm by GentleBender »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Computer Problems?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2015, 09:10 pm »
Thanks Bender for mod this forum, its important source of truble shoot.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2015, 09:45 pm »
Thanks Bender for mod this forum, its important source of truble shoot.

+1 - I'm sure for many computer issues can be a problem.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2015, 10:08 pm »
+2. Thanks I could have used you  last month when Windows 10 decided  the time was right.

GentleBender

« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2015, 11:22 pm »
Thanks guys!

MS is really pushing Windows 10. Too much in my opinion. I hate that when you disable the "Get Windows 10" notifications from the Control panel in Windows 7, it just comes back upon reboot. There are all kinds of issues with it in the enterprise setting.  :cuss:

srb

« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2015, 11:34 pm »
I hate that when you disable the "Get Windows 10" notifications from the Control panel in Windows 7, it just comes back upon reboot. There are all kinds of issues with it in the enterprise setting.  :cuss:

Uninstall Update KB3035583.

KB3035583 is a "Recommended" Windows Update whose sole purpose is to install an executable (GWX.exe) that autoruns from Task Scheduler on boot up and displays the Get Windows 10 icon in the notification area and the associated popup.

If your Windows Update settings are to install updates automatically and the box is checked to include Recommended updates, you will probably want to uncheck recommended updates and when it returns right-click on it and "Hide update" or else it will be automatically installed again if you re-enable recommended updates.

Reboot the computer afterward. This won't affect your ability to go into Windows Update and run the "Upgrade to Windows 10" update whenever you choose.

Steve

GentleBender

« Reply #6 on: 11 Sep 2015, 01:18 pm »
Uninstall Update KB3035583.

KB3035583 is a "Recommended" Windows Update whose sole purpose is to install an executable (GWX.exe) that autoruns from Task Scheduler on boot up and displays the Get Windows 10 icon in the notification area and the associated popup.

If your Windows Update settings are to install updates automatically and the box is checked to include Recommended updates, you will probably want to uncheck recommended updates and when it returns right-click on it and "Hide update" or else it will be automatically installed again if you re-enable recommended updates.

Reboot the computer afterward. This won't affect your ability to go into Windows Update and run the "Upgrade to Windows 10" update whenever you choose.

Steve
Thanks! I will give it a shot. I've been too busy to put much time in researching that yet. But I really need to find a way to script that to about 350 computers... :(  Setting up new backup system comes first!