Security camera connected to my Mac Mini ?

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
Security camera connected to my Mac Mini ?
« on: 12 Feb 2015, 05:26 pm »
Hi,

I am currently thinking about changing my home security system. I have recently moved and I was wondering about an alternative to the monthly billing I pay for a security system and going a simpler route. I realize, the system I am contemplating will not alert the fire/police emergency responders. And that really isn't an issue for me.

So.....

I was wondering about a system of cameras routed to my computer or DVR/harddrive. Recording a 5 to 7 day span of activity around my house. I am aware they have "package systems" available at parts houses that would work. But, I have never tried them and don't have any experience in which brands are good or bad. I also realize that they make "apps" that will do some of the same things, "connecting cameras together and recording activities to a separate hard drive on your computer.

I was wondering if anyone has tried any "package systems" or tried making a system with one of the "apps" available ?

( Any ideas or experience in this area would be helpful, thanks. This system would need to interface/work specificly with my Mac mini. )

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
  • SoundLab and Fritz Speakers Dealer
Re: Security camera connected to my Mac Mini ?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2015, 05:58 pm »
I have a 9 camera (18 possible) system by Swan, purchased at Costco for $500. It works beautifully, with it's own DVR and internet connection which enables me to view any and all cameras from wherever on my mobile devices. Not being connected or using resources on my main computer I consider a plus. Cameras are motion activated, so HD use is minimal, and generally holds >30 days of images. The search function allows going back for a detailed view of "incidents." The connected 40" HD TV allows viewing all images simultaneously at sufficient size to see detail, or one image with extreme detail. I don't think your monitor would be as effective, and would not allow constant viewing while at home which I enjoy, as I have cameras in many key outside locations.

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2015, 06:47 pm »
MtnHam,

I'll check those out.

I thought I would plan/complete this now, before I finish out my basement. Just easier to do with everything unfinished and easily accessible.

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
  • SoundLab and Fritz Speakers Dealer
« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2015, 07:26 pm »
I thought I would plan/complete this now, before I finish out my basement. Just easier to do with everything unfinished and easily accessible.

Since my system has 9 sets of coax coming into the DVR, I installed a 1.5" conduit from the point of entry to the equipment location, large enough (there are two connectors, signal & power, at the end of each camera cable) to accommodate any future system expansion.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2015, 08:36 pm »
I have a Digital Watchdog DVR.  A bit more expensive than what can find in the wholesale clubs but had the house pre-wired when it was built.  There are Apps for  the iPhone, iPad Mini and even got one for the cheapo Android Tablet I bought.  Really easy to monitor you cameras from anywhere.

*Scotty*

« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2015, 09:01 pm »
You could look at getting Seraphim Security's Active Laser Intruder Interdiction System. It works like the laser interdiction system that was seen in the movie The Andromeda Strain.
 The only down side is that if the system does miss the intruder the first couple of times it fires there will be holes in the walls. :lol:
Scotty

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2015, 09:28 pm »
MtnHam/Phil A

It's looks like a separate system setup is the better way to go. Using a separate DVR, instead of my computer. I had originally thought that integrating it into my current Mac would be a good idea, but, now I think NOT...

Maybe set everything (DVR, mouse, remote, etc.) up in a discreet location, away from the goodies. If someone does come in and decide to grab my belongings, they won't know where to find the video recording/DVR equipment and take it too.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2015, 05:43 am »
I have mine by the computer.  However there are many security measures including a double gate to get into my community after hours and an alarm system.  I also have the system set-up so I can look at the front door camera from my bedroom or kitchen in addition to my office.  In an old house I merely used one front door camera (but also had an alarm system) via a 5.8ghz wireless sender that and then distributed it via wires all over.  If I was to go without an alarm, I probably would put it in another location.

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2015, 03:54 pm »
Phil A,

I'm down sizing for retirement. So I am getting rid of reoccuring monthly bills, that I feel are unnecessary. I live in a low crime area, so it's just an extra measure, just in case something should happen. And it's a deterrent, I think  :thumb:.

I had ADT, they were a bit pushy and unprofessional. And for some reason the radio transmitter on there system would interfere with my audio equipment, where ever it was placed in the house. And they just wouldn't/couldn't clean it up. And they didn't understand what I was talking about. It's a long story. But, basically it would send out a data burst every few minutes (a simple burst of data to test the radio communications btw my home and there office, to ensure everything was working properly.) and you could hear it while trying to enjoy my audio. They didn't feel it was a legitimate complaint. And we couldn't work it out. So I said "good bye".

Lorex and Samsung have some options that look interesting.

I'll check out Digital WatchDog DVR's/cameras.

And thanks.

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 13 Feb 2015, 04:20 pm »
Phil A,

I'm down sizing for retirement. So I am getting rid of reoccuring monthly bills, that I feel are unnecessary. I live in a low crime area, so it's just an extra measure, just in case something should happen. And it's a deterrent, I think  :thumb:.

I had ADT, they were a bit pushy and unprofessional. And for some reason the radio transmitter on there system would interfere with my audio equipment, where ever it was placed in the house. And they just wouldn't/couldn't clean it up. And they didn't understand what I was talking about. It's a long story. But, basically it would send out a data burst every few minutes (a simple burst of data to test the radio communications btw my home and there office, to ensure everything was working properly.) and you could hear it while trying to enjoy my audio. They didn't feel it was a legitimate complaint. And we couldn't work it out. So I said "good bye".

Lorex and Samsung have some options that look interesting.

I'll check out Digital WatchDog DVR's/cameras.

And thanks.

I retired for the second time last year.  I'm in a low crime area (and if someone really wants to get into something regardless of where you are they really can - it just deters them) as was the location of the old place.  I had ADT in the old place and it was expensive.  My monitored alarm contract currently is 35+% less than with ADT.  I did not like ADT either.  They bought Brinks and all they did was raise the prices and screw up.  For example, the alarm apparently went off one time and I had my home number as the first number to call, the cell number as second and my brother's cell number for over 10 years.  Apparently they did something and eliminated my cell number for some reason.  I came home and saw one of my screens to a slider slightly open (probably the police), a number on the Caller ID I did not recognize and no message.  My brother called a few days later (he's not good with that stuff and that's why his number was third) to tell me they called him.  I called and asked what the heck they did with my cell number and why they keep raising prices and providing lousy service whenever it was needed.  They had no answer.  I wasn't going to make a huge issue as I knew I would be done with them in less than a year.