I’ve never grilled a steak! Until tomorrow!!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: I’ve never grilled a steak! Until tomorrow!!
« Reply #40 on: 26 May 2020, 12:54 am »
Nice!! Welcome to the wonderful world of grilled beef.  :thumb:

stlrman

« Reply #41 on: 26 May 2020, 12:14 pm »
Thanks Bob!! :thumb:

mcgsxr

« Reply #42 on: 26 May 2020, 02:58 pm »
NY or KC ?

Hard to find a KC strip in Canada in my experience.

I often cook a T bone and split off the tenderloin to my daughter and I’m left with the strip and bone - so pretty close to a DIY KC strip I believe.

I’ll order a KC strip anytime I see one on a menu!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #43 on: 26 May 2020, 03:06 pm »
Isn't that the porterhouse?  :scratch:

stlrman

« Reply #44 on: 26 May 2020, 10:58 pm »

Veggie burgers and these corn tonight . Very happy how the corn came out !!
Butter with Montreal seasoning. Salty but delicious! A bit too salty for my wife and daughter.

sunnydaze

« Reply #45 on: 27 May 2020, 02:56 pm »

.....Salty but delicious! A bit too salty for my wife and daughter.

I agree....McCormicks waaaaaay too salty, which is why I don't use it.

Try Marshalls Creek without salt.  Just add salt to your own exact taste.  Fresher and tastier (IMO) than McCormicks.....or any other supermarket brand.

https://www.pureandnaturalspices.com/product_p/sku16362.htm

I buy all my spices from Marshalls.  All freshly ground and deelish.  Was convenient when I lived in Long Beach LI as they had a retail outlet nearby.  Can purchase on Marshalls website, Amazon and Walmart:

https://www.walmart.com/browse/food/salt-spices-seasoning/marshalls-creek-spices/976759_976780_1007682/YnJhbmQ6TWFyc2hhbGxzIENyZWVrIFNwaWNlcwieie?page=1

https://www.amazon.com/s?i=merchant-items&me=A37I3RTB31QJQH

2000 items on Amazon so you know Marshalls Creek has the spice world covered.

twitch54

« Reply #46 on: 27 May 2020, 07:00 pm »
Isn't that the porterhouse?  :scratch:

basically T-bone and Porterhouse are the same cut. the difference being the Porterhouse is cut from the rear of the short loin giving a larger tenderloin section whereas the T-bone cut is from the front yielding a smaller tenderloin section.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #47 on: 27 May 2020, 07:13 pm »
basically T-bone and Porterhouse are the same cut. the difference being the Porterhouse is cut from the rear of the short loin giving a larger tenderloin section whereas the T-bone cut is from the front yielding a smaller tenderloin section.
I'll be darn, thank you!  :thumb:

twitch54

« Reply #48 on: 27 May 2020, 07:17 pm »
Ok , tonight was the night !!! :thumb: :thumb:
It was Prime cut Ribeye 🥩. I meant to get choice , but mix up with my wife ordering . Costco 3 pack.
Two are in the freezer.
Well , I’d say I kicked some major butt for my first go round !!!! The steak tasted absolutely glorious!!!!
The Montreal seasoning is the bomb 💣 !!! I heard rosemary salt is incredible from an Argentine guy in an article.  Nothing fancy on the side tonight. A veggie potato medley that comes frozen ready to put on the grill.
It was good actually. We will be doing our own veggies , and from our own garden soon too. Radishes picked today .
I’d say my cooking to medium rare was near perfect . Taste was incredible. Well here you go :

Looks delish !!

don't let the steak you put in the freezer stay there for too long, unless you vacuum sealed it you'll be disappointed vs those you cooked 'freash'

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #50 on: 27 May 2020, 07:28 pm »
Ahh, that makes sense. Thank you!

rodge827

stlrman

« Reply #52 on: 6 Jun 2020, 12:35 am »
Froze the other two steaks . Cooking tomorrow with my new digital thermometer!!
I will be trying MAYONNAISE to get my perfect char. I read about using this on Reddit, I then did al little further exploration. It seems mayonnaise can be used on everything. Veggies , chicken, fish, etc ... here is the article from the LA times:
I also learned that people use gee butter.

Feel free to show off your perfect steak , or yummy side dishes done.
I would like to reverse sear or sous vide, but my wife doesn’t want the smell in the house . She is a veggie .

https://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-fo-grilling-with-mayonnaise-recipes-20170610-htmlstory.html

I grilled up some peppers 🌶, they were awesome !!

dflee

« Reply #53 on: 6 Jun 2020, 01:32 am »
Oh Grasshopper. How quickly you have grown.
Nothing better than veggies on the grill.

Don

stlrman

« Reply #54 on: 26 Jun 2020, 11:18 am »
So , the real fun should begin after today !! We scored a freezer . 7 cubic feet (small I know) now I can store a two pound bag of frozen shrimp from Costco, and all my meats . My wife is a vegetarian and she wants me to have my own separate area.

I got some center cut pork chops .  I wanted thick bone in , but my wife order me center cut filets I guess. About 3/4 of an thick. My Dad was warning me to not overcook and dry them out . I got a killer new digital thermometer to gauge everything. My plan was to pull the out at 145 internal. I let them go too long , temp was reading 158, but they still looked fine, so I let them go another minute or two. OMG  , so f ing juicy!!! So flavorful!!!!! I just salt and peppered them . 4 chops for $6.32 . Are you kidding me ?! I ate two “chops “ that night. Put the other two in the fridge. I microwaved at half power , they were just as juicy two days later. At these low prices I will be buying more center cut pork chops in the future. In many ways it was as satisfying as my ribeye 🥩.  6 bucks feeds me for three or 4 days !!!! Hell yeah!!!

rodge827

« Reply #55 on: 26 Jun 2020, 11:42 am »
Grilled pork chops done right are awesome!
I have a couple of ribeyes ready for tonight. Adding some sautéd jumbo lump with bearnaise on the side. Garlic roasted asparagus and a good Cab Sauv to wash it down. TGIF!

mcgsxr

« Reply #56 on: 26 Jun 2020, 02:07 pm »
I find bone in veal chops an affordable and enjoyable BBQ experience.  Recommended!

bfstrysik

« Reply #57 on: 26 Jun 2020, 08:31 pm »
@stlrman - You have really jumped in with both feet! Good for you. I use a charcoal grill as well as a propane grill year round. I live outside of Chicago so there are those zero degrees days and the wind is howling that I will not. But most of the time I have something on the grill. Hardly use the stove at all.

As a couple of people have mentioned, a instant read thermometer is crucial. And I almost always use a thermometer that has 2 probes on 6 foot leads to monitor the temperature of the grill at the grate (if you rely on the thermometer on the grill hood, you will be blown away at how far off it is)and the second probe that goes into the meat. It has a remote unit that is good for about 100 yards. I can go about things and just look at the remote unit every now and again. Many of them now come with an app for your phone that eliminates the remote unit. And they are not very much money. They are especially useful for charcoal/wood slow cooking, which I do alot of. I use indirect heat and depending on what I am cooking, I can keep the heat around 225 degrees or so. Anyway, glad you have had some nice success and are enjoying your new found "hobby". Oh, and I like your raised beds. I am a vegetable gardener as well. I should have ripe tomatoes in the next 2 weeks and garlic will be ready to harvest in mid July.

Bruce

sunnydaze

« Reply #58 on: 27 Jun 2020, 12:56 pm »
I'm a big fan of dry rubs, especially on meats with subtle flavor like pork.  Sprinkle this recipe on your chops before grilling next time.

2t chili powder
2t dry mustard powder
1t ground cumin
1/2t cayenne
salt to taste

Also great rubbed on the outside of a brined pork loin roast and either grilled using the two zone method, or oven-roasted.  (If brined, be sure to omit salt in the rub)

Many more rub recipes online, use Google.

stlrman

« Reply #59 on: 5 Jul 2020, 11:38 pm »
Thanks again for all the great input , and  recipes .
Well my next thick pork chops from Whole Foods , I managed to overcook. A bit dry ... someone on Reddit said to pull them at 125 internal and they will continue to cook to hit 145.  I cook to 148 internal then pulled them off. Live and learn .  I do love the flavor and incredible price of pork !!!!
So, I have wanted to cook some shrimp 🦐 on the grill.  Great price 2lbs for $20 bucks , that’s 5 or 6 meals though. And VERY low calories!!!   I am down 28 pounds in 4 months .
I killed it !! Creole seasoning salt, garlic powder, lemon powder, fresh black pepper.
I ate 17 shrimp that night ,  only 250 calories.
Fresh beets and beet greens from our garden, omg !! Zucchini from our garden . Sweet potatoes all on the grill.
The shrimp 🍤 were perfect !!