Amplification ideas to GR-Research NX-Studio

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Amplification ideas to GR Research Studio Monitor
« Reply #20 on: 18 Jan 2020, 05:53 pm »
How about Dodd 120s?

Perfect match since Danny uses Dodd stuff to voice his speakers.

maty

« Reply #21 on: 26 Jan 2020, 07:12 pm »
Are you getting the "THX Reference Level" in the listening position? Do we really need such an output level in our home-theater rooms? by trl

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/are-you-getting-the-thx-reference-level-in-the-listening-position-do-we-really-need-such-an-output-level-in-our-home-theater-rooms.11105/

Audio files to do the measurements are -20dB and were grabbed from https://www.atsc.org/refs/a85/ (also attached here) and I had them "checked" with foobar and its Peak-meter visualization and these are indeed -20dB files. To protect our hearing, the audio files used for such test are usually -20dB instead of 0dB, so we will need to measure a listening level of 85dB SPL, which is much safe for our hearing than 105dB SPL...

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/are-you-getting-the-thx-reference-level-in-the-listening-position-do-we-really-need-such-an-output-level-in-our-home-theater-rooms.11105/post-314030

I'm fine with peaks getting somewhere close to 95-100dB SPL. On music this means an average SPL of 75-80dB, while on movies this might be 5dB lower due to the different movies dynamics, so 70-75dB SPL.

The THX standard is only referring to peaks, so your recommended 78dB SPL seems too low for me for a living room, where the background noise is probably up to 30dB SPL.

With music, I always made the calcs with 80 dBSL + 15 dB = 95 dBSPL to estimate the power required with the speakers selected at 3 meters.

Films, peak: 20 dB.

Remember: in a room, with so many reflections, less power is required than in the open field to obtain the same SPL.

Glenng78

« Reply #22 on: 28 Jan 2020, 03:10 am »
What do you guys think about PS Audio M700 monoblocks for those studio monitors? They are class d and I believe they use a 700asc module.

Captainhemo

« Reply #23 on: 28 Jan 2020, 05:52 pm »
I know you don't need the extra power but,  the IP AS1200 is a much better  souinding  amp as opposed to the  700's.
Look for a used one if you  can find it

jay

maty

« Reply #24 on: 29 Jan 2020, 09:05 am »
What do you guys think about PS Audio M700 monoblocks for those studio monitors? They are class d and I believe they use a 700asc module.

Bad idea. The IcePower 700 has not harmonics, OK. With the PS buffer -> dominant H3 !!!

https://www.stereophile.com/content/ps-audio-stellar-m700-monoblock-power-amplifier-measurements

And bad HF intermodulation spectrum, the last graph. And too much hoise at HF (tweeter). The guilty of the problems is the PS buffer.

maty

« Reply #25 on: 29 Jan 2020, 09:08 am »
BTW, Billie Eilish,

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/year?artist=Billie+Eilish

Only the live recordings have good DR. The others, studio, only we need with a cheap audio system and few watts to obtain the SPL at the room.

Opus Flatus

« Reply #26 on: 29 Jan 2020, 12:36 pm »
IFI Retro 50 is another great sounding EL84 amp. It also has the added bonus of a good DAC and Phonostage built in.

Captainhemo

« Reply #27 on: 29 Jan 2020, 05:43 pm »
Look for a used Mivera or Nord amp that uses the  IP1200AS module,  far better soiunding than the 700's.

jay

Max7

« Reply #28 on: 29 Jan 2020, 08:56 pm »
Yesterday Archimago published:

An Inexpensive Hi-Fi Class-D Stereo Amp for the 2020's: Hypex nCore NC252MP (DIY Assembly)

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2020/01/an-inexpensive-hi-fi-class-d-stereo-amp.html
Updated

MEASUREMENTS: Hypex nCore NC252MP Amplifier (+ Subjective opinions around objective testing, and CES2020)

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2020/01/measurements-hypex-ncore-nc252mp.html

A lot of graphs!

Here is ASR's measurement of the March Audio Hypex NC502MP OEM module (238 watts @8, 454 watts @4, both channels driven). I have this amp, and it runs great on my Revel m126be - transparent, clean, no coloration. I plan to use this with the Studio Monitors and see how it goes.

maty

« Reply #30 on: 12 Feb 2020, 11:20 am »
Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Amplifier Class D Stereo Purifi 2x400W 4 Ohm *** 1,490.00 € tax incl. - 1,241.67 € tax excl. ***

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...ass-d-stereo-purifi-2x400w-4-ohm-p-14393.html

Rotated, clarified and optimized

audiophonics-hpa-s400et-amplifier-class-d-stereo-purifi-2x400w-4-ohm.jpg

Audiophonics Interface Card

[ Both modules are driven in opposite phase, to cancel out the «Power-Supply Pumping» effect. This allows greater stability in the power supply by alternately distributing current draws on each rail, thus increasing its overall capacities.

We opted for a regulation with two voltage levels in order to optimize the power supply to the PDOs and the auxiliary voltage supplied to the modules. This allows the OPAs to be powered with a high voltage (18V) for better overall performance, and allows them in turn to provide the voltage needed to reach the amplifier's maximum output level. While still maintaining the auxiliary voltage required by the modules.

Each channel uses its own Analog Devices OP275 AOP. They are based on a hybrid Bipolar / JFET technology. Bringing precision and musicality. They are mounted on a socket allowing their possible replacement.

To suit all uses we opted for 3 gain settings adjustable by jumper on the interface card:

* Gain of + 9.5dB, for a total of 22.3dB (default) Maximum power reached with a signal of ~ 3.2V RMS

* Gain of + 15.5dB, for a total of 28.3dB Maximum power reached with a signal of ~ 1.6V RMS

* Bypass: in this case the signal passes directly from the inputs to the modules, allowing the lowest possible gain of 12.8dB. This mode can be interesting when using a powerful preamplifier, capable of driving a load of 2 to 4kOhm and reaching a voltage of ~ 10V RMS  ]

maty

« Reply #31 on: 15 Feb 2020, 05:14 pm »
Mocenigo has finished the DIY PURIFI 1ET400A with Universal buffer (Neurochrome) and other components.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/347137-brainstorming-purifi-1et400a-amps-post6085262.html

A lot of pictures: https://ibb.co/album/nyCoaa

He has had a dual mono Hypex NC500 with Sonic Imagery 994 discrete opamp. Apollon NC800, Input Buffer Rev B x2.

A lot of images: https://ibb.co/album/gu8Bdv?sort=date_asc

Versus new DIY PURIFI 1ET400A:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendor-s-bazaar/281361-hypex-ncore-nc500-build-post6085383.html

I may stand corrected. The NC500 is in my opinion a stunning amplifier, but in comparison to the 1ET400A it has one big advantage (more power) and one disadvantage which is difficult too evaluate (the eigentakt treble is much smoother, and the bass is a bit better controlled). Two fine amps, but on sound quality the eigentakt is better, or with some abuse of words, the NC500 has some treble flaws.

WarmColors

« Reply #32 on: 15 Feb 2020, 06:35 pm »
I have nothing to power the monitors. Majority of the replies go beyond my head. Do any of you think Schiit products are reasonable audio component wise? I am thinking of building a stack to power the monitors. Or i could go with a Sonos amp.... (not first choice) second choice would be NAD M10 or M33. I am going from a $600 price point to $5000. I clearly need some guidance.
I want to connect my TV to my dac/amp for 2.1 or 2.2 (with NAD) for occasional movies but mostly use it for music.

Tyson

« Reply #33 on: 15 Feb 2020, 06:57 pm »
I have nothing to power the monitors. Majority of the replies go beyond my head. Do any of you think Schiit products are reasonable audio component wise? I am thinking of building a stack to power the monitors. Or i could go with a Sonos amp.... (not first choice) second choice would be NAD M10 or M33. I am going from a $600 price point to $5000. I clearly need some guidance.
I want to connect my TV to my dac/amp for 2.1 or 2.2 (with NAD) for occasional movies but mostly use it for music.

For amps, you have some great options nowadays.  If you want solid state amps, then I'd recommend Schiit, First Watt and Odyssey Audio (also here on AC).  If you want more power and higher efficiency (less heat) from the amp, then the Cherry and/or Maraschino digital amps that DAC (also here on AC) makes would be a good match. 

If you want tubes, then the VTA ST70 is a good choice as is their ST35.  I like them because they are built in America so you don't have to ship them to China if you need service on them.

For a DAC, for movies I'd recommend Schiit, for music I'd recommend iFi.  What is the source of your music?  Are you using a computer as a source or something else?

WarmColors

« Reply #34 on: 15 Feb 2020, 07:24 pm »
For amps, you have some great options nowadays.  If you want solid state amps, then I'd recommend Schiit, First Watt and Odyssey Audio (also here on AC).  If you want more power and higher efficiency (less heat) from the amp, then the Cherry and/or Maraschino digital amps that DAC (also here on AC) makes would be a good match. 

If you want tubes, then the VTA ST70 is a good choice as is their ST35.  I like them because they are built in America so you don't have to ship them to China if you need service on them.

For a DAC, for movies I'd recommend Schiit, for music I'd recommend iFi.  What is the source of your music?  Are you using a computer as a source or something else?

Music will be through my PC, watching movies I'm planning on hooking my tv to what ever is recommended directly.

I don't want to have great speakers and poor quality equipment feeding them.

I noticed you did not say anything about NAD have you not had experience with NAD and not able to have an opinion or will i be paying mostly for the brand name markup with inferior parts?

I don't have an opinion on tubes

Thank you for the reply btw

maty

« Reply #35 on: 15 Feb 2020, 07:44 pm »
My advice.

There are almost as many amplifiers as loudspeakers. Better to focus on those of which we have independent measurements.

If not, the seller allows the return within 30 days.

Studio Monitor -> I think is better idea amplifiers with no color or little.

Tyson

« Reply #36 on: 15 Feb 2020, 07:53 pm »
What type of outputs does your TV have?  HDMI only?  Or optical or coax?  Or analog?

WarmColors

« Reply #37 on: 15 Feb 2020, 08:10 pm »

Quickly browsing i did like the Stratos Stereo from Odyssey Audio.
I could stick with Schiit Ragnarok Amp since it does have L&R balanced pre outs. I would like to pair the studios with the servo sub kit2 (stereo subs) but those don't seem to have a balanced input, just the servo sub kit 1. (that's what i can make out from the low quality picture) am i correct? or do my eyes deceit me?

For a DAC maybe Cambridge Audio?

(CXN V2)

or

(Azur 851C)

Any thoughts on the combos? Will it be feasible for the stereo subs?

maty

« Reply #38 on: 15 Feb 2020, 08:24 pm »
Quickly browsing i did like the Stratos Stereo from Odyssey Audio...

http://www.odysseyaudio.com/sales-usa.html

We offer our customers a no questions asked 30 day return policy. Audition our products in your home system for 1 month to make sure you will love it. If for any reason you're not "blown-away" by its performance, send it back for a full refund. You would only have to pay for the cost that occur to us, that of shipping and small credit card reimbursement fees.To further our customer service, there is no usual re-stocking fee at all, but with special options, we might have to charge for the labor for any reversals thereoff. The driving factor for this move is the desire to serve you, the customer, in a much better and more value oriented way. Nobody is more knowledgeable about the odyssey products or committed to them than us...

HT cOz

« Reply #39 on: 15 Feb 2020, 08:28 pm »
Folsom all the way