Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #1860 on: 16 Jul 2016, 11:59 pm »
For all you classical music guys out there, when you are ripping your discs how do you:

name the folder
name the track
tag the track (what are the typical important tags classical albums should have for proper classification and cataloging)

What confuses me is there is the musical piece i.e. song if you will (sometimes a disc actually has multiple pieces I have noticed), original composer, the conductor and then whatever orchestra and choir may be involved. Should all of this be captured somehow or do you typically disregard some of it.

Unfortunately, I haven't found a single software pack that databases classical music libraries in a systematic, consistent fashion.

But that's OK, as I customize my library labels, and I never have to use Search (I have a good memory for what's in me library).

I use XLD for Mac. Screenshot is here. It allows me to specify exactly what each track contains in its label (yellow box). Sample rips are shown in the screenshot.

I've learned not to get too OCD about consistency. My folders are labelled by composer-piece-conductor/artist-orchestra/group.

Yitshak

« Reply #1861 on: 17 Jul 2016, 04:46 am »
For all you classical music guys out there, when you are ripping your discs how do you:

name the folder
name the track
tag the track (what are the typical important tags classical albums should have for proper classification and cataloging)

What confuses me is there is the musical piece i.e. song if you will (sometimes a disc actually has multiple pieces I have noticed), original composer, the conductor and then whatever orchestra and choir may be involved. Should all of this be captured somehow or do you typically disregard some of it.

I create new folders :

symphonies
Concertos
Chamber
Operas
Other...

Create Composer (not artist) folder inside each of the above:

The I put manually each file where I want.

This give me the most quick search on MM do to less folder to look at
from the start and later on I can eliminate the pre made folders and the files original metadata stay the same.

and I do the similar for Jazz...

Orchestral
Chamber piano
Chamber Sax
chamber ...

But then I make Artist folders instead of composer,
And again put all folders as rip manually to those folders.

A few pills of OCD'PIRIN may be in order for doing so but it's
very easy later to find and play each specific album while using MM.

It does help knowing I can revers this any time very simple relatively
to other re tagging methods.

Itshak

Rod_S

« Reply #1862 on: 17 Jul 2016, 04:07 pm »
Thanks guys

myview

« Reply #1863 on: 17 Jul 2016, 10:59 pm »
For most of the albums, I have each album in a separate folder:

Composer - NameofWorkNo.1, Composer - NameofWorkNo.2  SoloistIfAny, OrchestraName, ConductorName (LabelName), for example:
Paganini - Violin Concerto No. 4, Sonata Varsavia  Gidon Kremer, VPO, Riccardo Muti (Philips)
Dvorak - Cello Concerto, Herbert - Cello Concerto No.2  Gautier Capuçon, Frankfurt RSO, Paavo Jarvi (Virgin)
Chopin - Piano Concertos Nos. 1 & 2  Jorge Bolet, Montreal SO, Charles Dutoit (Decca)

Sometimes, an artist (could be a soloist or a conductor) is very well-known or whom I like a lot, I name the folders in an artist-centric way, for example:
Leonid Kogan - Lalo - Symphonie espagnole, Tchaikovsky - Sérénade mélancolique  Philharmonia Orch, Kondrashin (EMI-Warner)
Leonidas Kavakos - Viennese Rhapsody - Music for violin and piano by Fritz Kreisler (BIS)
Kyung Wha Chung - Con Amore - Violin Encores (Decca K2HD)
Klaus Thunemann - Hummel & Weber Bassoon Concertos  ASMF, Sir Neville Marriner (Philips)
King's Singers - A Tribute to the Comedian Harmonists (EMI)

With regard to the meta data of each file, I try to populate every field I can but these are the more critical ones:
- Title (Tchaikovsky - Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 35 - I. Allegro medarato)
- Composer (Pyotr Il'yich Tchaikovsky)
- Artist (Arthur Grumiaux (violin), New Philharmonia Orchestra, Jan Krenz)
- Album Artist (Arthur Grumiaux)
- Conductor (Jam Krenz)
- Date (1975)

I use DBpoweramp.

name the folder
name the track

Krutsch

« Reply #1864 on: 18 Jul 2016, 01:41 am »

name the folder
name the track

Here's what I do:

Grouping (standard ID3 tag) is used to group tracks that are typically of a single classical "Work" within an album or a single disc of an album indexed as multi disc. I use the following pattern:

- Grouping should be Composer: Work
- First titles within a work should be Composer: Work: Movement
- Following titles within a work: Movement
- Stand-alone titles: Composer:Movement (no grouping)

See the attached image for an example of what this looks like in iTunes. The advantage of leaving the complete "Composer: Work: Movement" as part of the initial title is that you can still read on playback systems that don't do anything with the Grouping tags (e.g. Manic Moose).

You can also add custom tags like: Composer, Orchestra, Soloist, et al., as well as very detailed genre/sub-genre labels. But the reality is, there is little software that reads and processes these tags (Audirvana+ and MinimServer being notable exceptions).

If you really want to crazy, this link will give you hours of fun on re-tagging your collection:

http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/itunes.htm

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #1865 on: 18 Jul 2016, 02:03 am »
Much Ado About Nothing, really.   :scratch:

Each enthusiast has a different preferred way of cataloging/indexing, no doubt.
As long as they're comfy with it.....   :thumb:

Tezza009

« Reply #1866 on: 19 Jul 2016, 11:42 am »
Hi Chris

With the latest firmware update turning on Shareplay turns off MPD and vice versa - is this correct?

Thanks
Terry

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1867 on: 19 Jul 2016, 12:39 pm »
Hi Chris

With the latest firmware update turning on Shareplay turns off MPD and vice versa - is this correct?

Thanks
Terry

Correct

Marius

« Reply #1868 on: 19 Jul 2016, 01:46 pm »
Hi Rod,

This is a bit of a tricky question...
Since i still havent found what im looking for (..) concerning Software and categorizing classical music, i must admit i havent worked with tags at all. Most software is not capable of doing so correctly, or put differently: there doesn't seem to be a agreed on standard. ;-((

Working with tags therefore is very frustrating for me, and, if one has a larger than small library, very time consuming searching on tags. BDP1 takes its time here. And even then, doesn't find what i can find myself with a few clicks, since i know where to look, and what to look for.

I store my files as i store my LP's/CD's etc. I have 3 drives, both logical (in my NAS) and physical (attached to the BDP) to mimic my cabinets in the room, that are also ordered in the following categories.

Pop
Jazz
Classical

All with several subcategories.

I have an extra MP3 folder (and drive) with the same ordering.
(I don't discriminate on the medium (mix 16/24 bit and all hz's), but find having MP3 separate very easy for backing up, and several devices work only or best with mp3. For that reason i have a separate folder for sacd rips also. but i have but a few, since i can't play them ;) )

In those categories i follow my now habits of search, and since you ask specifically about classical: main criterium (tag) order is Composer/Genre/Work/Performer.

I remove all redundant info, so when i browse to the last hierarchy (performer) i only have eg Knapperstbusch - Bayreuth - 1957, or Bohm - Bayreuth- 1967.
Stripping all extra info from the files and folders (because they are part of the higher level and inherit all those tags) is mainly done because the BDP can't scroll the tracks. Ive had my first Ring ripped, and all the BDP displayed where the first several digits of Richard Wagner - Ring des N ..... for 14 cd's ;)

Recordings centered around a performing artist/lable/style have a separate compilation folder, ordered obviously on artist/label/style.

I havent found a single cd/recording i can't place correctly without remembering where i have put it.

Jazz and Pop all are subdivided along the artist name, and subsequent recordings obviously.

Hope this helps, it does work for me.

btw: Browsing by folder is essential for me. Thats why the Roon experience is sub-optimal for me, not to mention  Tidal forcing its preferences down my BDP.. But thats an other thread entirely ;)  Thats why i love to work with my BDP, to get back to this OP subject..

Cheers,
Marius

name the folder
name the track

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #1869 on: 19 Jul 2016, 02:53 pm »
A separate thread about Classical Music Library labeling is needed here.

Not here on BDP/Manic Moose Firmware thread.

Marius

« Reply #1870 on: 20 Jul 2016, 02:05 pm »
Hi Chris,
back to playing through MM latest version with Roon support, i suddenly discover all files in the browser section are displayed with the music notes icon. Is this a bug, and was it there before? can't seem to remember to be honest.

Anyway, reported.

Cheers,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1871 on: 20 Jul 2016, 04:22 pm »
Hi Chris,
back to playing through MM latest version with Roon support, i suddenly discover all files in the browser section are displayed with the music notes icon. Is this a bug, and was it there before? can't seem to remember to be honest.

Anyway, reported.

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius,

The red entries are just files that aren't in the database, what your witnessing is normal behaviour

Cheers,
Chris

Pundamilia

« Reply #1872 on: 20 Jul 2016, 04:49 pm »
I am currently listening to the music on the flash drive (Jen Chapin) that came with my new BDP-2 using MM. Using the Media Player, the top heading shows the song title, the artist and the album and then [d24/192]. Underneath the lower title, MM shows the "Sample:192000:32:2". Does the [d24/192] refer to the bitrate and sample frequency? It seems to contradict the sample rate info shown below. They are consistent about the 192k, but what is the actual bitrate?

Thanks.

Krutsch

« Reply #1873 on: 20 Jul 2016, 04:50 pm »

Hey Marius,

I see that you have "back.jpg" files in your library. I add them, as well, but have yet to see one display. Are these appearing for you, when you click in the album cover in the Media Player display?

Thanks, Ken

Marius

« Reply #1874 on: 20 Jul 2016, 06:16 pm »
yes, most of the time:

Sometimes it doesn't work, a black placeholder shows, and i have to reload the media player.
I try to have at least a cover, back, and cd.jpg. Booklets in jpg's in a separate folder, or in a pdf/txt file. In this case an ePub file was made available with the download.

Last image is an example of the resizing going awkward, I've asked Chris before about this, but it didnt yet resolve.

Cheers,
Marius

Hey Marius,

I see that you have "back.jpg" files in your library. I add them, as well, but have yet to see one display. Are these appearing for you, when you click in the album cover in the Media Player display?

Thanks, Ken

Marius

« Reply #1875 on: 20 Jul 2016, 06:19 pm »
Hi Marius,

The red entries are just files that aren't in the database, what your witnessing is normal behaviour

Cheers,
Chris

HI Chris,

Yes, i am aware of that, it's just that i didn't remember non-music files being displayed with the music icon. I thought they had their correct system icons before?

If at all possible, that would be very welcome. I use the red files often, not only to check whether i have added music to the Db, but also for seeing which jpg's are available, and wether a booklet or another info pdf/txt file is in place.

Hope you can repair,
Thanks,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1876 on: 21 Jul 2016, 12:48 am »
If at all possible, that would be very welcome.

I'll try to remember to give the feature some attention, but my intention now that Roon Ready is done is to start shifting attention toward nutty narwhal.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1877 on: 21 Jul 2016, 06:39 am »
Ooh, which will focus on ???

Marius

« Reply #1878 on: 21 Jul 2016, 08:59 am »
HI Chris,
Another detail:

the top Tidal logo (above Hello user@email) points to Frontpage Bryston-bdp-1.local, which is inconsistent with user expectation ;)
I do miss a clear pointer to the Bryston MM interface, so maybe you've mixed-up those?

Tidal Logo to point to Tidal, Bryston logo to point to Bryston, or just use the Dashboard button as used in the MM interface? (i know its down below, but it just isn't really consistent with the rest of the interface)

Cheers,
Marius

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #1879 on: 21 Jul 2016, 07:50 pm »
Marius,

Are you having FUN yet?   :lol:

So much musik, so little time.....