Linked Events

• AXPONA 2013 - Chicago: 8 Mar 2013 - 10 Mar 2013

AXPONA 2013 - Chicago

sandbagger

Re: AXPONA 2013 - Chicago
« Reply #40 on: 4 Mar 2013, 10:44 pm »
There will be lots of fun  :o :thumb:
Just received the Hollis Audio Labs MS-2 music server to be used for 2ch HD playback.

I suggest you start by visiting every manufacturer from this site, including the newbies to the "Industry Circles", as that will help you wrap your head around the comments people make about their equipment.  Also, please do not miss out on the Seaton Sound room.  I am expecting some fun to be had in there!   :drool:

OzarkTom

« Reply #41 on: 4 Mar 2013, 11:54 pm »
My main goal is to hear the more exotic, expensive speakers like the MBL's at the show.

I like the idea of walking, to wherever the group decide's to meet up. Thanks for the suggestions Jack.

Troy

MBL had the best sound at the CES show in Chicago 30 years ago, by far. I sure wish I had bought me a pair way back then. They were only 13K for a pair.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #42 on: 5 Mar 2013, 04:42 pm »
Hoffbrauhaus is loud and fun and they have great beer.
Sounds promising if it's walking distance. Open enough for a bunch of people to sit at a couple merged tables?
Guess we just missed a nice snow storm too. Oh joy  :wink:

cheers,

AJ

dminches

« Reply #43 on: 6 Mar 2013, 01:27 pm »
What kinds of media are people bringing their own music on?  In the past I have burned 1 CD of good audition songs, but that limits things to 16/44.1.  I am not sure many vendors are set up to take USB drives.  And, I am not going to carry vinyl on the airplane.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #44 on: 6 Mar 2013, 01:57 pm »
What kinds of media are people bringing their own music on?  In the past I have burned 1 CD of good audition songs, but that limits things to 16/44.1.  I am not sure many vendors are set up to take USB drives.  And, I am not going to carry vinyl on the airplane.
Standard Redbook should be fine in many rooms...if they allow attendees to play their own. Some don't.
My official policy is that, I'll play it...if it doesn't completely suck  :lol:
All kidding aside, it's a double edge sword, since some will bring tracks that allow them to test the system, others, absurd tracks that I wouldn't use to test laptop built in speakers. I try to be accommodating as possible, but if someone want's to hear Mating Calls of the Humpback Whales in mono, with a room full of attendees...
If you really really want to hear your own, best bet is 1) early Friday 2) pre-show hrs/late Sat/Sun.
My 2c

cheers

roscoeiii

« Reply #45 on: 6 Mar 2013, 01:59 pm »

Guess we just missed a nice snow storm too. Oh joy  :wink:

cheers,

AJ

Yeah I am strapping on some cross country skis this afternoon.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #46 on: 6 Mar 2013, 02:11 pm »
I provided a boatload of DSD music  to the Mytek room already.  Interested to hear it in their Sony AR-2 setup.  I think I'll not bring anything; did that for CES in January and heard great stuff from others who were in the room, anyway.

Edit:  On a related note, I am VERY surprised and disappointed that some of the seminars, like Michal (Mytek)'s Friday one at 11:45 takes place before the doors open to the public at 1pm??  Do they think there are enough advanced ticket holders (access from 10:30 for Marketplace and art) and press/exhibitors to attend these?  Weird setup.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #47 on: 6 Mar 2013, 04:02 pm »
There will be lots of fun  :o :thumb:
Just received the Hollis Audio Labs MS-2 music server to be used for 2ch HD playback.

Wish I could be there to hear the setup.   :D

Have a great show!

Don_S

« Reply #48 on: 6 Mar 2013, 04:46 pm »
Perhaps the grand plan is to encourage advanced ticket sales.  A bird in the hand...........

I provided a boatload of DSD music  to the Mytek room already.  Interested to hear it in their Sony AR-2 setup.  I think I'll not bring anything; did that for CES in January and heard great stuff from others who were in the room, anyway.

Edit:  On a related note, I am VERY surprised and disappointed that some of the seminars, like Michal (Mytek)'s Friday one at 11:45 takes place before the doors open to the public at 1pm??  Do they think there are enough advanced ticket holders (access from 10:30 for Marketplace and art) and press/exhibitors to attend these?  Weird setup.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #49 on: 6 Mar 2013, 04:47 pm »
Perhaps the grand plan is to encourage advanced ticket sales.  A bird in the hand...........

Seems bass-ackwards...plus advanced tix sales ended last night.

dminches

« Reply #50 on: 6 Mar 2013, 05:02 pm »
Advance tickets sales were extended to 5 PM today.

TomS

« Reply #51 on: 6 Mar 2013, 05:13 pm »
I have advanced tickets and would love to have gone to Peter Lederman's seminar Friday morning. Unfortunately, I don't arrive until Friday evening  :(

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #52 on: 6 Mar 2013, 05:38 pm »
Advance tickets sales were extended to 5 PM today.

Which tells me they don't have the numbers, which tells me its even more absurd to run seminars before opening.

pslate

« Reply #53 on: 6 Mar 2013, 06:53 pm »
Standard Redbook should be fine in many rooms...if they allow attendees to play their own. Some don't.
My official policy is that, I'll play it...if it doesn't completely suck  :lol:
All kidding aside, it's a double edge sword, since some will bring tracks that allow them to test the system, others, absurd tracks that I wouldn't use to test laptop built in speakers. I try to be accommodating as possible, but if someone want's to hear Mating Calls of the Humpback Whales in mono, with a room full of attendees...
If you really really want to hear your own, best bet is 1) early Friday 2) pre-show hrs/late Sat/Sun.
My 2c

cheers

Crap please tell me mating calls of the dolphin are still ok!

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #54 on: 6 Mar 2013, 06:56 pm »

As long as they are hirez

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #55 on: 7 Mar 2013, 12:44 am »
Only in stereo.
Or after several hrs at the Hoffbrauhaus.

MaxCast

« Reply #56 on: 8 Mar 2013, 11:29 am »
Cleared up the schedule a bit so I get to go on Sunday.  :dance:

brj

« Reply #57 on: 9 Mar 2013, 12:12 am »
If anyone is able to audition Don Keele's CBT36 arrays in room 845, I'd be curious to hear your impressions.  (Make sure to walk around, as their even sound field is supposed to be one of the hallmarks of constant beamwidth arrays.)

I can't make it to the show, and I didn't realize they were at RMAF last year... oops!   :duh:

Thanks!

esprits4s

« Reply #58 on: 9 Mar 2013, 12:51 am »
If anyone has an opportunity to go by the Tyler Acoustics room, I'd love to hear feedback on their new Highland H3's. 

-Gary

Alleye

« Reply #59 on: 9 Mar 2013, 01:19 pm »
Posted this on the ModWright board as well, but was really impressed with Room 723 ModWright and Van L Speakerworks. I'd be curious to see what people thought as the weekend progressed.

Enjoy the show!