Another SoundScape 10 Review - Mine!

fsimms

Re: Another SoundScape 10 Review - Mine!
« Reply #20 on: 4 Dec 2010, 11:28 pm »
Those SS10s really look good and those pics really show how nice they really are  :thumb:

Yes they do.  The top modules are as fine to the touch as they are to look at.  I tried to say how well they were built when I did my review but, like everything else about the SoundScapes, words just can’t describe them.  At least, my words couldn’t!

Bob
« Last Edit: 5 Dec 2010, 07:15 am by fsimms »

CC

« Reply #21 on: 4 Dec 2010, 11:42 pm »
Great review highfilter and beautiful speakers. Did you notice any sound quality changes with the Herbie's gliders or are they just to help you slide the speakers around, I am considering getting something like them.

Cheers
Chris

funkmonkey

« Reply #22 on: 5 Dec 2010, 06:04 am »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Congrats, Clayton.  Excellent pictures and a great review.

writeface

« Reply #23 on: 5 Dec 2010, 06:32 am »
Clayton,

Great to hear your impressions of ss.
I am glad to see you taking good care of STP pre;)

highfilter

« Reply #24 on: 6 Dec 2010, 12:08 am »
What's the veneer / finish?  Very nice.

The veneer is Mexican Ziricote and the finish is just the standard.

Great review highfilter and beautiful speakers. Did you notice any sound quality changes with the Herbie's gliders or are they just to help you slide the speakers around, I am considering getting something like them.

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris,

I haven't listened to the SoundScapes without the gliders on, I put the speakers on them right away so I didn't have to do it later and it helped to position them with the gliders on. I may do a comparison with them on and off sometime when I find a semi-permanent spot for them, and have some help because they are huge speakers. They are supposed to help improve mid-bass and low-bass performance, from what I heard on the forums. They work great as far as I can tell.

Clayton,

Great to hear your impressions of ss.
I am glad to see you taking good care of STP pre;)

You better believe it! The STP-SE has been taking good care of me as well. Super quiet and sounds great.  :thumb:

CC

« Reply #25 on: 6 Dec 2010, 12:35 am »
Thanks Clayton. I think that I am going to try them out. Enjoy your speakers.

Cheers
Chris

jrg4785

« Reply #26 on: 9 Dec 2010, 08:05 pm »
Clayton, congrats!  those are awesome and your review was outstanding.   enjoy!

Nuance

« Reply #27 on: 10 Dec 2010, 05:01 am »
Wow - what a review!  You just capped off my night in a very positive manner.  Thanks for that, and enjoy those amazing looking (and sounding) speakers!

highfilter

« Reply #28 on: 11 Dec 2010, 09:55 am »
Alright, what a way to start off the weekend!

I had my Mac Mini and Tranquility SE DAC connected to my regular outlets for maybe 3 or 4 weeks. I originally had them plugged into my ÜberBUSS, from PI Audio - but after reading some comments on how they may be better without any power filtering I decided to try it. I've been doing tweaks ever since (speaker placement, moving room treatments around, got different cables, got my SoundScapes etc) and thought everything sounded great. I haven't had the Mac Mini or DAC plugged into the ÜberBUSS while having the SoundScapes.

Well tonight I put the Mac Mini and Tranquility SE DAC back into the ÜberBUSS, and holy shit! I thought my SoundScapes blew me away before! I'm never unplugging them again! The words organic, dynamic and bloody magical come to mind when listening tonight. I don't know how Dave (from PI Audio) does it, but he puts the toe-tapping and eyebrow dancing into your music. If you haven't tried one of his units, you owe it to yourself to try one out. It takes every component you spent money on for audio, and makes them make MUSIC.  :thumb:

I've been using the ÜberBUSS for months and months, but whenever I change something out and then put it back in, the magic happens all over again. What a night. I almost feel like the SoundScapes arrived at my door again. Gotta love free tweaks (unplugging and plugging stuff back in). Damn I love this hobby!  :lol:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #29 on: 11 Dec 2010, 10:11 am »
Alright, what a way to start off the weekend!

I had my Mac Mini and Tranquility SE DAC connected to my regular outlets for maybe 3 or 4 weeks. I originally had them plugged into my ÜberBUSS, from PI Audio - but after reading some comments on how they may be better without any power filtering I decided to try it. I've been doing tweaks ever since (speaker placement, moving room treatments around, got different cables, got my SoundScapes etc) and thought everything sounded great. I haven't had the Mac Mini or DAC plugged into the ÜberBUSS while having the SoundScapes.

Well tonight I put the Mac Mini and Tranquility SE DAC back into the ÜberBUSS, and holy shit! I thought my SoundScapes blew me away before! I'm never unplugging them again! The words organic, dynamic and bloody magical come to mind when listening tonight. I don't know how Dave (from PI Audio) does it, but he puts the toe-tapping and eyebrow dancing into your music. If you haven't tried one of his units, you owe it to yourself to try one out. It takes every component you spent money on for audio, and makes them make MUSIC.  :thumb:

I've been using the ÜberBUSS for months and months, but whenever I change something out and then put it back in, the magic happens all over again. What a night. I almost feel like the SoundScapes arrived at my door again. Gotta love free tweaks (unplugging and plugging stuff back in). Damn I love this hobby!  :lol:

There's no better way to hear what you're missing than to take the Uberbuss out for a period of time, then reinstall it. I had to do that this summer and I know exactly what you're talking about when you cried out holy shit!  :thumb: 

Now I dunno about loving this moneypit of a hobby but I sure do love my music.  :dance:

Cheers,
Robin

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #30 on: 11 Dec 2010, 04:33 pm »
Wow, Clayton!!!  What a system!  Does Jim build beauties, or what!!!?  The zircote is awesome.

Jim Salk - you ROCK!  Like I always tell you, you are the best!

I had no idea that you could be my son  :lol:  I've appreciated your choice in things and you show a huge propensity for the better things in life at a young age.  Good on you, my friend.

Thanks for the kind words about the Uber.  Taking it out of my system (which has battery powered Dodd gear) is always a head smacker for me, too.   :duh:  The digital front end and all of the video gear is plugged in.  It just goes to show what AC noise reduction will do, I guess.  The power cabling doesn't hurt either.  If you want a real sonic trainwreck pull the Uber AND the cabling out and listen that way.  :o

Nice photos, too.  I guess I need to replace my Brownie and get something that works, eh?

Thanks for the kind words and I'm envious.

Dave

highfilter

« Reply #31 on: 2 Jan 2011, 01:38 am »
Hey everyone,

just a quick update that might be mind blowing for some people with the SoundScapes. I moved my two GIK QRD diffusion panels from the back wall to the front wall, directly behind each speaker (similar to the setup at RMAF). Wow, I am glad I did! I thought the speakers disappeared before, but they are TOTALLY removed from the room now and the ambiance is breathtaking. So much information within the soundtage now, especially in the height. Highs soar into the sky, cymbals shimmer into the darkness and you can pick up all kinds of air and natural decay all around you.  :thumb:

If you can get some diffusion behind these bad boys, they really really take off. My jaw is once again left wide open while sitting on the couch. Happy New Year!  :D

fsimms

« Reply #32 on: 2 Jan 2011, 04:24 am »
I found out the same thing.  :thumb:

I use glasses to give me the diffusion.  This is just temporary as I plan to get real diffusion pannels early next year.  Glasses are an easy thing to try to see if diffusion will help.  :eyebrows:

Bob

EDIT: I guess it is not next year.  It is early this year now!  :lol:

CC

« Reply #33 on: 3 Jan 2011, 05:59 am »
i am glad you posted that clayton. Room treatments are next on my list and i was not sure if i was going to go with diffusers or absorbers behind my speakers, now i know. Diffusers.

Cheers

Chris

highfilter

« Reply #34 on: 3 Jan 2011, 06:25 am »
i am glad you posted that clayton. Room treatments are next on my list and i was not sure if i was going to go with diffusers or absorbers behind my speakers, now i know. Diffusers.

Cheers

Chris

No problem, Chris. My diffusion panels are actually both bass abortion and diffusion. The panel has a GIK Monster Bass trap in it and then the QRD diffusion panel is in front of that. Best of both worlds!  :thumb:

I plan on getting some more diffusion setup on the back wall, as I think having diffusion on the front and back would be amazing. Diffusion really does get your room out of the way and make it sound larger and more spacious than it really is.  :D

CC

« Reply #35 on: 3 Jan 2011, 08:21 am »
Would that be the GIK QRD monster diffuser?

highfilter

« Reply #36 on: 3 Jan 2011, 09:00 am »
Would that be the GIK QRD monster diffuser?

Yep, that's the one.  :D

CC

« Reply #37 on: 3 Jan 2011, 09:09 am »
Thanks Clayton, I gonna get me some of those.

Cheers

Chris

wywires

« Reply #38 on: 3 Jan 2011, 10:25 am »
Clayton,

Good job on the review and pics! Congrats and enjoy.

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #39 on: 3 Jan 2011, 01:47 pm »
I found out the same thing.  :thumb:

I use glasses to give me the diffusion.  This is just temporary as I plan to get real diffusion pannels early next year.  Glasses are an easy thing to try to see if diffusion will help.  :eyebrows:

Bob

EDIT: I guess it is not next year.  It is early this year now!  :lol:

Have you noticed a difference in the diffusion pattern with different types of liquids in the glasses?  IME, there's a big difference in diffusion between glasses full of adult beverages and those same glasses once they're empty!!!    :lol: