Poll

Would you like to pay more to support better recording?

Yes
10 (71.4%)
No
4 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 14

support better recording

PRELUDE

support better recording
« on: 4 Sep 2011, 10:31 pm »
After reading all about good recordings here,I remember one time I went to store to buy some CDs with a friend and we were looking into the used ones.I found a album that I like and they had two of them one for $4.00 and the other one for $10.00.I took the $10.00 one because the lable was the better one.First my friend told me he would definitely take the cheaper one and even the store owner told me if I look again he has a cheaper one of same copy.
Now, I would not support the audiophile recordings for $30.00 each but If any lable give me a good recording constantly and ask for only $3.00 to $5.00 more on each,I would take it on the heart beat.
Most of the people that I know of,they only buy used now and always complain about recording.
Did you realized that the used CDs are getting more expensive now and at the same time places like HMV are closing?
So,what is the future?

SoundGame

Re: support better recording
« Reply #1 on: 4 Sep 2011, 11:54 pm »
Yes, I would pay more if I suspect that the mastering is of higher quality, either by the label, or by the CD indicating it is a recent remaster of the original at 24 or 32bits.  I also tend to go for recordings from the '50's onwards - the mid 40's CD recording, even if remasters, in my experience are very poor, a few can be somewhat transparent but are shaded in noise and tonal issues.

amblin

• 'On the cutting edge of cocking about.'
« Reply #2 on: 5 Sep 2011, 02:30 am »
Yes, I would pay more if I suspect that the mastering is of higher quality, either by the label, or by the CD indicating it is a recent remaster of the original at 24 or 32bits.  I also tend to go for recordings from the '50's onwards - the mid 40's CD recording, even if remasters, in my experience are very poor, a few can be somewhat transparent but are shaded in noise and tonal issues.

It depends on the brand and their techniques as well. For example Philips's noise cancelling technology on historical recordings sounded 'cleaner', almost no hiss and pops waht-so-ever, but at the price of less HF details and clarity, so it's also 'flatter'.  EMI's historical re-masters had more rough edges but the sound was more natural because of the 'CEDAR' noise reduction / Audio restoration process they used.  CEDAR stands for Computer Enhanced Digital Audio Restoration. Basically some hardware modules and special softwares to specially combat hiss/pops, low-level nosise, broadband noise and finaly phase delays and timming errors. Highly sophisticated stuff, which costs several hundred grands for the entire system.  :duh:
« Last Edit: 5 Sep 2011, 04:20 am by amblin »

neekomax

« Reply #3 on: 5 Sep 2011, 03:38 am »
Did you realized that the used CDs are getting more expensive now and at the same time places like HMV are closing?
So,what is the future?

I buy used whenever possible through Amazon. It's not very expensive at all. I find amazing stuff in 'like new' condition for a dollar sometimes. Although shipping is almost always $3.00, so it averages about $5-$7, which is just dandy, as far as I'm concerned.

Paying more for better recordings, sure. But how would you know if the recording were really that good?

amblin

• 'On the cutting edge of cocking about.'
« Reply #4 on: 5 Sep 2011, 12:00 pm »
I buy used whenever possible through Amazon. It's not very expensive at all. I find amazing stuff in 'like new' condition for a dollar sometimes. Although shipping is almost always $3.00, so it averages about $5-$7, which is just dandy, as far as I'm concerned.

Paying more for better recordings, sure. But how would you know if the recording were really that good?

A quick search in the publishing database would usually suffice. CDs put the names of technical peoples inside the booklet and this could be a problem because most shops won't allow us to open the jewel case.
--
The industry itself could also be a problem and it's especially depressing for classical records Because while sometimes you'll need a bank busting amount of budget and a painful lot of effort and hardwork to make a good recording and then get it stamped onto CDs.  But you'll still only achieve less than a 1/10 of that rapper just did on the sales chart.   :scratch: it's abit like selling potatos and beans really. While it's rather easy that you'll be able to get your investments back, but you are hardly making any profit. 

I'm not trying to say that rap music is worthless, but just look at the staggering difference.  you'll need at least 10+years of training and learning to become a 'good' instrument player. Yet you'll need another 20+ years to mature yourself, polish the skills etc. But your albums still only worth 9.99/cd. or 0.99 if you happen to be in the EMI's 'super bargain 50CD collection'...