BP 1.5/BP 26P vs ???

1ZIP

BP 1.5/BP 26P vs ???
« on: 29 Oct 2009, 08:48 pm »
Seriously thinking of upgrading my turntable to maybe a VPI Scout and in conjunction a new MM Phone amp.  That means a few options: purchasing a BP-1.5 which includes a MC stage: sending  my BP-26 back to Bryston to have it retrofitted with a MM stage: buy a standalone MM phono amp from another manufacturer.  The retrofit is an attractive option at $500.00.

I haven't seen many, actually any, reviews of the BP-1.5, curious what opinions current owners have of the unit?  Is the MM stage in the BP-1.5 the same as that in the BP26P?  How does the Bryston phone stages compare to other manufacturers units in the same price range?

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
Re: BP 1.5/BP 26P vs ???
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2009, 10:06 pm »
The only phono stage that I have auditioned to this point is the Aethetix Rhea tube phono preamplifier (list was around $4500 CDN). I was very impressed with it, but I cannot compare it to anything or properly ascertain its performance level at this time. I think that it will be very difficult to compare phono preamplifiers going from store to store. What I will most likely do is purchase the TT and then talk to the audio dealers about an "in home" demo with the phono preamplifiers. If I go the Bryston route, I will purchase a BP-1.5 phono preamplifier instead of retrofitting my BP-26.

The audio from the  Michell Gyro SE MK II, Michell Technoarm, an Ortofon Rondo Red MC Cartridge and the Aethetix Rhea tube phono preamplifier was outstanding. I remember not enjoying the audition with the CD player as a source at all, but the difference was "night and day" when they changed the source to the TT :o

Be well...

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct 2009, 01:00 am »
Go for the Bryston...I have the MM stage in my BP6...it's awesome. The BP 1.5 will give you greater flexibility, however.

Robert D

« Reply #3 on: 30 Oct 2009, 01:35 am »

I have room for the Bp1.5 on my rack but Not for a New TT
What do I do

Robert

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2009, 01:45 am »
hi, 1ZIP!

once the 26 is made without the phono option (line version) the retrofitting can be done...but at a different price, i think. if the 26 is ordered "the first time" with the mm phono option you wanted then it is another 500 bugs.

let James clarify the situation (and forgive me when i was wrong).

al.

Laundrew

« Reply #5 on: 30 Oct 2009, 01:51 am »

I have room for the Bp1.5 on my rack but Not for a New TT
What do I do

Robert

No problem at all - time for a new rack :wink: :thumb:

1ZIP

« Reply #6 on: 30 Oct 2009, 02:33 am »
Robert:
There is ALWAYS room for more gear!

Laundrew:
The "Michell Gyro SE MK II" .....Impressive!  Looks more like a work of art than a TT. 

Laundrew

« Reply #7 on: 30 Oct 2009, 01:45 pm »
Robert:
There is ALWAYS room for more gear!

Laundrew:
The "Michell Gyro SE MK II" .....Impressive!  Looks more like a work of art than a TT.

I could not agree more, some of these turn tables look like they are out of a science fiction movie. The Gyro looks awesome and I also like the aesthetics of the Orbe (Hmmm... I wonder if you can get the Orbe in an aluminium finish)       :drool:

Michell Gyro SE

Michell Orbe

Be well...

Laundrew

« Reply #8 on: 1 Nov 2009, 11:51 pm »
Please forgive my weakness for "mechanical audio equiment." :oops:

1ZIP

« Reply #9 on: 2 Nov 2009, 02:56 am »
I have to have one of these....the kids can go to a community college!

Laundrew

« Reply #10 on: 2 Nov 2009, 10:34 pm »
I have to have one of these....the kids can go to a community college!

Good one 1ZIP :lol:

In my case, the sacrifice I could make would be to stop buying food for a couple of years and use the grocery money as down payment on the Transrotor Fat Bob Reference Turntable (I could eat at our local land fill site and/or restaurants' dumpsters).

:wink: