Lost 1963 Coltrane album to be released

jazzcourier

Re: Lost 1963 Coltrane album to be released
« Reply #20 on: 30 Jun 2018, 04:53 am »
My copy came today-the double album with all takes. The reference tapes this session was mastered from are in MONO,  hence all the music is in MONO. The sound is good and the performances, after all these years  ,though polished,sound like a rehearsal. I did an A/B on the lp's on a stereo cartridge vs. mono and the mono cart won hands down with the saxophone sounding far more realistic with lots of body. Stereo was fine,just not with the pow of the mono.

This is not a lost album. This was never meant to be an album ,this was a studio work in progress that, in reality lacks the emotional intensity that was the hallmark of Coltrane Impulse albums. It was, and is, a fascinating and enjoyable listening experience. Vinyl is ok,nothing special. What with this lost album hype you would think they would go to a better pressing.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #21 on: 30 Jun 2018, 05:33 am »
I have this MJQ SACD also mono, is a very old album from 1956 and it has great SQ, very musical recording, seems all the equipment were tubed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLjjN2zovRU

firedog

« Reply #22 on: 30 Jun 2018, 06:04 am »

This is not a lost album. This was never meant to be an album ,this was a studio work in progress that, in reality lacks the emotional intensity that was the hallmark of Coltrane Impulse albums. I

Two quite debatable points. We don't know what the intention was. Most of the studio albums weren't highly planned affairs, they were often cobbled together from various sessions. And at the very time of this recording, there ended up being a 2 year gap in pure Quartet studio releases. So the intent at the beginning of the session could have been to get material that would result in an album.

Bob Thiele often recorded such sessions with Coltrane, as the label wanted Coltrane to do more commercial style releases - so he tried to get the "real" Coltrane down on tape when he could. The amount, quality, and variety of material in this session could certainly have resulted in an album. Or some of it could have been combined with other sessions to make an album. We don't know why it wasn't released, all or in part (except for one track).

The existence of these tapes was unknown until recently. And if you don't call the master tapes being thrown out by the label and this personal copy being found in Coltrane's former home (of his first wife) 55 years later, "lost" - I don't know what could qualify as being lost.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #23 on: 30 Jun 2018, 11:27 am »
Available now on Tidal.

jazzcourier

« Reply #24 on: 30 Jun 2018, 02:14 pm »
Based on the four different versions of "Impressions" Trane was trying to trim down this piece to a more conventional,commercial format as directed by Bob Thiele.This was a work in progress and difficult for Trane as he played this piece for up to 45 minutes (one whole set) live.Miles Davis always faulted him for not knowing when  to "take the saxophone out of his mouth".During The last tour in Europe with Davis Trane got his revenge by playing the longest solos of his career, and in doing so distanced himself from Miles,who could not tolerate being out of the spotlight. There are some complete performances on this album that easily could fit into an Impulse album at some point in that time frame. "Lost album"..... how about "missing session", no that does not have the commercial zip to it.

richidoo

« Reply #25 on: 30 Jun 2018, 02:16 pm »
Available now on Tidal.

Thanks JLM! Been waiting for that!  :thumb:

PeteG

« Reply #26 on: 30 Jun 2018, 02:50 pm »
Available now on Tidal.
Thanks, I'll give it a listen today.

dB Cooper

« Reply #27 on: 30 Jun 2018, 03:04 pm »
He has a full year of touring planned with the next stop at the Blue Note/NYC at the end of the month.
He's something else to see, especially solo. I've had the pleasure several times but the most memorable was with the then young lion Azar Lawrence. Outstanding!

Can't wait to get the new recording, now on order.

Cheers, Lester

Glad to hear he's doing well, but mystified that I haven't seen or heard any interviews with him about this. I mean, of all people, he should know whether it was intended to be released as an album or not.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #28 on: 30 Jun 2018, 09:41 pm »
Glad to hear he's doing well, but mystified that I haven't seen or heard any interviews with him about this. I mean, of all people, he should know whether it was intended to be released as an album or not.

Maybe he's opposed to it so the record company made sure that no one asked him....?

dB Cooper

« Reply #29 on: 1 Jul 2018, 03:11 am »
Maybe he's opposed to it so the record company made sure that no one asked him....?

I suppose that's possible, but the record company couldn't stop independent journalists from talking to him. Just seems weird, considering he's the one guy in the quartet still alive, that nobody reports even trying to reach out to him. Maybe he thinks it sucks but doesn't want to undercut his own payday.

Opinions seem divided on how release ready this material was. It's not bad, but I don't think it's top drawer Trane either. And then there's the barely-above-bootleg SQ...