Powering Primo HD with IDA8

Pan Borowik

Powering Primo HD with IDA8
« on: 18 Apr 2019, 09:08 am »
Hi,

I just received my Primo HD and connected it to IDA-8 via the E4 usb-like port.
It works great, but it seems that the E4 port powers up the Primo only when IDA is on, and the startup procedure of Primo takes a while. So after I turn on the IDA I have to wait until Primo boots.

Is there any way I could achieve having the Primo always on, and still connected to the E4 port? I have a CD transport and TV hooked up to coaxial and optical inputs, so having the E4 port available for streaming is ideal for me.

Pan Borowik

Re: Powering Primo HD with IDA8
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2019, 01:06 pm »
Ok, so I figured out I could just make myself a custom micro usb cable for Primo with two USB-B connectors, by taking +5V/G lines outside and connecting to a 5V power adapter. Leaving rest of lines connected to the E4.
Would that work? Or is there an easier way to do this?

rustydoglim

• Facilitator
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2019, 02:22 pm »
Use standard 5V adapter to power the Primo HD and connect optical output to IDA-8.

Pan Borowik

« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2019, 06:46 pm »
Thanks for the reply. As stated before, using the optical in for TV.

But had another idea.
I have a 2xUSB -> miniUSB cable from an old external HD. Pretty sure one of the USB's is just for 5V power.

So was thinking that I'd pull out the power pins from the other one, add mini usb > micro usb converter and connect the powerless USB plug to the IDA, and the power-only one to external charger.
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2019, 07:58 am by Pan Borowik »