Oppo UDP-205! The New Truth Mod! The Next Level!

dminches

Re: Oppo UDP-205! The New Truth Mod! The Next Level!
« Reply #80 on: 6 Jul 2017, 11:56 am »
There are so many good sounding tubes of the 6922 variety.   I probably have 10-15 different pairs.  Unfortunately I don't have any equipment which uses them.

I wish my Marantz SA8005 used this tube.

oem-wheels

« Reply #81 on: 15 Sep 2017, 04:25 am »
oops
« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2017, 12:22 pm by oem-wheels »

modwright

« Reply #82 on: 15 Sep 2017, 10:23 pm »
The Marantz uses the 5687 because of the different sound of the player and voicing.  The UDP-205 mod was designed after the Marantz and I used the 6922/7308 because it just WORKS with the SABRE DAC chip.

Thanks,

Dan

rbbert

« Reply #83 on: 13 Nov 2017, 02:56 pm »
http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/UDP203-firmware-54-1108B.aspx

For those who haven't yet heard, the 205 is getting free MQA compatability.  Be aware, though, that unlike other beta firmware updates, this one is not reversible to previous firmware.

I have definitely been lukewarm about MQA, but I have to admit getting MQA compatibility with my existing hardware, for no added cost, is kinda cool.  I may even resubscribe to TIDAL just to see if "full unfolding" is noticeably better than the "partial unfold" I had previously (which was not impressive enough for me continue my TIDAL subscription)

modwright

« Reply #84 on: 13 Nov 2017, 04:24 pm »
Is it for the 203 or 205 or both?  The link indicates 203?

If they are adding MQA and also just added Roon, then the Oppo 205 and Sonica will now TRULY do it all!

This series, with our newly designed mods, is the best I have heard to date!

Dan

mav52

« Reply #85 on: 13 Nov 2017, 05:29 pm »
Is it for the 203 or 205 or both?  The link indicates 203?

If they are adding MQA and also just added Roon, then the Oppo 205 and Sonica will now TRULY do it all!

This series, with our newly designed mods, is the best I have heard to date!

Dan

Beta Firmware :  https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/UDP203-firmware-54-1108B.aspx               it appears the MQA is for the 205 only. 

modwright

« Reply #86 on: 13 Nov 2017, 06:55 pm »
Makes sense, the 205 IS the Audio player.

Dan

JackD

« Reply #87 on: 16 Nov 2017, 02:26 am »
Dan

Did you see any technical reason in the parts choices in the Sonica as opposed to the 205 why the MQA firmware could not be applied to the Sonica?  They implied in response to someone on another forum with the question that the "decoder" could be an issue.  I was under the impression the DAC sections were basically identical. 

rbbert

« Reply #88 on: 16 Nov 2017, 04:57 am »
Apparently it’s the MediaTek chip set doing the decoding; I don’t know if the Sonica has that chip set (which is multi-channel, although not used that way for MQA)

talk2me

« Reply #89 on: 29 Nov 2017, 07:02 pm »
Too bad the Elyse DAC does not decode MQA for my Tidal service.

mav52

« Reply #90 on: 29 Nov 2017, 07:09 pm »
Dan

Did you see any technical reason in the parts choices in the Sonica as opposed to the 205 why the MQA firmware could not be applied to the Sonica?  They implied in response to someone on another forum with the question that the "decoder" could be an issue.  I was under the impression the DAC sections were basically identical.

that was me.   Here is what they sent

" The Sonica DAC uses a much lower powered decoder so we are not sure that we will be able to add MQA to the Sonica DAC either as files on attached USB storage or as files that you playback on a computer through Asynchronous USB to the DAC.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025  ""

And we must remember, that the Sonica came out way before the 205 and any plans by OPPO for MQA.  I would think the Sonica would require some type of hardware changeout to be able to support MQA>

A_shah

« Reply #91 on: 29 Nov 2017, 08:40 pm »
Can you address this situation , will thisMQA  software update work for 203 UHD ?
I assume it will not be download able via the internet

Asghar
Tracy, CA.

mav52

« Reply #92 on: 29 Nov 2017, 10:07 pm »
Can you address this situation , will thisMQA  software update work for 203 UHD ?
I assume it will not be download able via the internet

Asghar
Tracy, CA.

Its only for the 205.   

SoCalWJS

« Reply #93 on: 19 Dec 2017, 09:52 pm »
Forgive me if this is a "Silly question"....... I still don't completely understand bits.

I've recently been reading through other threads which tout the benefits of "re-clocking" in the Digital chain, I was wondering if this type of product could be used with the 205, and if so how?

I have slowly burned most of my CD's to FLAC using dbpoweramp. I love the convenience of having everything (except Hi Rez) on a single HD. Could a re-clocker be put in between the HD and the 205? Would it actually help? (I love the sound of my 205 compared to what I had before, but always in search of further improvement.) A member of an Audio group I recently joined loves his and suggested I try one in my system.

I also need to figure out a better user interface than the Oppo phone app, but that's another topic  :green:

modwright

« Reply #94 on: 19 Dec 2017, 09:55 pm »
There are some devices that are USB in-out that do some sort of re-clocking.  I have not tried them, but it stands to reason that they could be beneficial.

We are not doing anything inside of the Oppos regarding re-clocking.  All clocks are small, surface mount and well done inside the unit.

Having said that, I am hearing of improvements from people using external USB-USB re-clocking devices.

Thanks,

Dan

rbbert

« Reply #95 on: 20 Dec 2017, 04:51 am »
My guess would be that reclocking benefits the situation where a server is using the asynchronous USB input rather than an external HD using one of the USB A inputs.  Technically difficult at best to “reclock” those, since they don’t use a separate clock (only the ones internal to the Oppo)

modwright

« Reply #96 on: 20 Dec 2017, 06:14 pm »
Good point! I was not thinking of the different way that the USB data is handled via non-computer USB inputs.  It is raw data into the Oppo processor via this type of USB input.  The USB computer input IS truly asynch USB with clock in the data. I cannot say which sounds better, to be honest.  I have pretty much always used computer USB input.  I have used a USB thumb drive or external USB drive directly connected also.  It works fine, but I have not compared the two for sonics.

Thanks for clarifying this!

Dan

SoCalWJS

« Reply #97 on: 21 Dec 2017, 02:15 am »
My guess would be that reclocking benefits the situation where a server is using the asynchronous USB input rather than an external HD using one of the USB A inputs.  Technically difficult at best to “reclock” those, since they don’t use a separate clock (only the ones internal to the Oppo)
Would there be any benefit if I were listening to spinning silver discs and then using a cable out (SPDIF, USB, whatever) from the Oppo 205 out and then routing it to a reclocker, then back to the same digital input type, using the 205 (ModWright) as DAC?

(like I said, I'm easily confused by this stuff  :oops:)

modwright

« Reply #98 on: 21 Dec 2017, 02:28 am »
No, it wouldn't work that way.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #99 on: 21 Dec 2017, 04:11 am »
No, it wouldn't work that way.
Thanks.

Kind of what I figured, but I wasn't sure.