Songtowers and VanAlstine Insight + 240/3 onboard... what next?

rlee8394

Nels,

You said it!!

Ron

joegator81

I finally added a preamp. I opted for the Parasound NewClassic 2100 which has all the features that i was looking for and was to be had for a great price refurbished through AA. At first i had an issue w/ buzzing due to an extra ground loop but i fixed that problem. I know there are obviously better amps out there to be had and when i have the room and pocketbook for a seperate audio system i will surely upgrade but w/ this modest pre i have already taken notice of the benefits of having a pure analog stage.

First, i'd like to say that the pass through is a cinch to navigate.

The noted benefits are fairly similar to what i noticed when i added the van alstine power amp. There seems to be more space/air between instruments, as if they have come to occupy their own space more so than before. Vocals are smoother, especially noticed w/ female vocalists. Bass lines are less blurry. Dynamics are noticably increased. And the soundstage is much increased.

billmcc

Joe,

I'm glad you are enjoying the 2100 :D.

Bill

joegator81

Thanks again Bill for the heads up on that one!

joegator81

I wanted to be a little more specific earlier on the increased soundstage and dimensionality that i noticed but i had to run out.

I'll use a couple of my favorites as an example. Ray Charles performing "Fever" on genious loves company. This track has always been able to trick me into believing that i am being engulfed with sound, almost a surround time atmosphere. The bongo drums are the most prominent, where i close my eyes with all the lights off i could almost hear them behind my head. They are now even more firmly planted there and clearer too. The same goes for the piano on "New York Minute" from the Eagles hell freezes over performance. It seems as though this was a good buy ;)