under $1000 amp suggestion for HT1's

Nuance

Re: under $1000 amp suggestion for HT1's
« Reply #20 on: 6 Jul 2009, 08:26 pm »
I like Emotiva, but here is the newest issue I was talking about (it applies to their new CDP, but if the accusations are true, then perhaps they cut corners elsewhere):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1148961&highlight=emotiva

It's a lengthy thread, but simply reading the first couple pages will fill you in on what I'm talking about.  And by the way, Chu Gai is a very respected forum member and truly knows his stuff.  Some people don't like him because he's a no BS, tell it like it is guy.  I like him, however.  He's very helpful and knowledgeable.  Anyway, happy reading, and I don't mean to start any flame wars or arguments.  Like AV123, I feel it's necessary to point out when a company could be having issues.  I mean no disrespect by this, but the consumers should be aware of things like this. 

And for what it's worth, I am currently temporarily running an Emotiva amp with my ST's and have had zero issues.  It sounds great!  YMMV, of course

jd3

« Reply #21 on: 6 Jul 2009, 09:57 pm »
All of Outlaw's multichannel amps are built in the USA by ATI.  I've used a 7075 (75 wpc), a 7125 (125 wpc) and now a 7500 (200 wpc) with my SongTowers and they've sounded great with all of them.  FWIW, right now (until midnight) you can get an Outlaw 970 pre/pro for $99 with any multichannel Outlaw amp.  Not new technology by any means but a good sounding pre-pro.

funkmonkey

« Reply #22 on: 7 Jul 2009, 02:06 am »
savefarris-

glad to hear you got your order in, congrats.  :thumb:

I think your Denon will be able to handle the load until you find an amp that you like.  Just look for higher current models, they shouldn't have any problem with the 4Ω HTC.  These guys know their amps way better than I do, but I just wanted to remind you about Audiogon.com...  always some really good used gear there, for good prices.

targa02

« Reply #23 on: 7 Jul 2009, 04:40 am »
thank you for all the replies guys.  how about any of the ICE amps?  wyred 4 sound or d-sonic?  anyone had experience with them?

I am using a Wyred ST250 to drive HT2s non TL version and am very happy with Wyred's product and customer service.  All I can compare the wyred with is my NAD T754 (http://nadelectronics.com/products/av-receivers/T754-A/V-Receiver/specs).  Although the NAD is not bad at all and can drive the HT2s easily, it does not have the bass control the wyred delivers.   The sound, or lack thereof, of the wyred is great.  I love it.  It would be difficult to find a 3-channel wyred for less than $1k however. 

savefarris

« Reply #24 on: 24 Jul 2009, 01:02 am »
has anyone used pro amps with their salks?  i have been looking at either qsc or crown, they seem to be very cost-competitive and everything i have heard is that they are neutral sounding. 
only problem is the fans on them but im not bothered by fan noise.  what do you guys think?

jazzcat1

« Reply #25 on: 24 Jul 2009, 01:48 pm »
has anyone used pro amps with their salks?  i have been looking at either qsc or crown, they seem to be very cost-competitive and everything i have heard is that they are neutral sounding. 
only problem is the fans on them but im not bothered by fan noise.  what do you guys think?

I used to have Crown and Carver Z series pro amps in my HT set up. I personally got tired of the fan noise. When I replaced them with an Earthquake Cinenova Grande, the first thing I noticed was how noisy they were in my system Not a hum, just more tweeter hiss than I cared for. Now my speakers are dead quiet with the Cinenova. And I know that saying that I noticed a definite change in detail with the Cinenova will bring mixed opinions (all amps sound the same, right?  :wink: They did sound rather neutral as you stated. Again, the only reason I got rid of them was because I was not able to isolate them from the listening area.

TomQ

« Reply #26 on: 27 Jul 2009, 04:09 am »
I use a Parasound Halo A51 to drive all H3's, 2 fronts, center and modified H1's for rears, check Audio Advisor, sells parasound new and refurbished. The refurb same factory warranty, but cost much less.

vintagebob

« Reply #27 on: 27 Jul 2009, 02:34 pm »
I use a Parasound Halo A51 to drive all H3's, 2 fronts, center and modified H1's for rears, check Audio Advisor, sells parasound new and refurbished. The refurb same factory warranty, but cost much less.

Nice setup!

oldmp3

« Reply #28 on: 27 Jul 2009, 08:06 pm »
I have a Rotel RB-1080 just for 2-channel - used prices in the $5-600 range - for my SongTowers.  Denon AVR powers the SongCenter.   An excellent amp, I'm quite happy with this setup and believe it could work for the HT1s, as it is conservatively rated at 200 wpc.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #29 on: 27 Jul 2009, 11:16 pm »
I'll make someone a great deal on a DAC 4800A amp at 380 wpc as I have my eye on another amp.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #30 on: 28 Jul 2009, 12:32 am »
PM does not work for me btw.