Understanding pricing

floresjc

Understanding pricing
« on: 16 Apr 2009, 06:16 pm »
I'm a little confused with the pricing on the Salk Sound webpage. For example, a standard veneer ST is $1795, which includes the veneer and the labor to apply it as opposed to just satin black. The "custom" ST start at $1995, plus the cost of any exotic veneers or fancy things you may do with the cabinets. I'm just wondering, what does the extra $200 difference include since the materials are highly variable on a custom job and are additional? Is that just a baseline estimate of the extra labor cost a custom job may entail? If one is just supplying new veneer, I'm not sure why its an extra $200 over using Jim's, or in the opposite situation, you get really fancy, and $200 doesn't quite cover the labor, then he'd bump it up more. 

I know Jim has said that pricing has gotten kind of fancy, with all kinds of tiers, and he may rethink about how its put out there, just wondering what you all have experienced for those on the custom side of things.

jsalk

Re: Understanding pricing
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2009, 07:25 pm »
I'm a little confused with the pricing on the Salk Sound webpage. For example, a standard veneer ST is $1795, which includes the veneer and the labor to apply it as opposed to just satin black. The "custom" ST start at $1995, plus the cost of any exotic veneers or fancy things you may do with the cabinets. I'm just wondering, what does the extra $200 difference include since the materials are highly variable on a custom job and are additional? Is that just a baseline estimate of the extra labor cost a custom job may entail? If one is just supplying new veneer, I'm not sure why its an extra $200 over using Jim's, or in the opposite situation, you get really fancy, and $200 doesn't quite cover the labor, then he'd bump it up more. 

I know Jim has said that pricing has gotten kind of fancy, with all kinds of tiers, and he may rethink about how its put out there, just wondering what you all have experienced for those on the custom side of things.

The reason for this is two-fold.  First, with standard veneers, we can do multiple cabinets at the same time and be more productive.  With "custom" projects, we have to build them one-at-a-time which is not very productive.  The second reason is that there is a good deal of time searching out the desired veneer, ordering it and having it shipped in.  This all takes time.  That is the difference.  $200 really doesn't cover all of the additional time, but there are only so many hours in the day and when we spend time on that, we can't spend it on other things.  So we have to charge a little extra.  I hope this makes sense.

- Jim

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2009, 08:32 pm »

The reason for this is two-fold.  First, with standard veneers, we can do multiple cabinets at the same time and be more productive.  With "custom" projects, we have to build them one-at-a-time which is not very productive.  The second reason is that there is a good deal of time searching out the desired veneer, ordering it and having it shipped in.  This all takes time.  That is the difference.  $200 really doesn't cover all of the additional time, but there are only so many hours in the day and when we spend time on that, we can't spend it on other things.  So we have to charge a little extra.  I hope this makes sense.

- Jim

And thank you, Jim, for making the custom veneer such an extensive and affordable option.  The pal dao on my HT2-TL is gorgeous, although Nuance's ST RT are still the most beautiful pal dao speakers in existence.  :wink: 

floresjc

« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2009, 08:38 pm »
Jim -

Makes perfect sense, thanks for the response. I too appreciate all the options available to us, and the fair prices charged.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2009, 11:13 pm »

[/quote]

And thank you, Jim, for making the custom veneer such an extensive and affordable option.  The pal dao on my HT2-TL is gorgeous, although Nuance's ST RT are still the most beautiful pal dao speakers in existence.  :wink: 

[/quote]

And I'll get to see those puppies tomorrow on my Boston trip--plus the most expensive Salk HT system ever assembled    http://www.salksound.com/gallery-votm-0707-1.shtml   

floresjc

« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2009, 12:50 am »
Wow, thats alot of Salk Sound.

funkmonkey

« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2009, 03:06 am »
WOW!!!   makes the HT3s look tiny!!!!!  :wink:

Nuance

« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2009, 04:15 am »
Those subwoofers aren't big enough.  :lol:  :thumb:

charmerci

« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2009, 05:11 pm »

And I'll get to see those puppies tomorrow on my Boston trip--plus the most expensive Salk HT system ever assembled    http://www.salksound.com/gallery-votm-0707-1.shtml   
[/quote]

So I wonder which Pioneer receiver he's powering them with!  :lol:

(I kid because I'm jealous!)

Gord_Toronto

« Reply #9 on: 17 Apr 2009, 11:10 pm »
At least your wife would never complain that the HT3's were too big in the room.  They're being dwarfed by the others