Toe In

carusoracer

Toe In
« on: 18 Oct 2007, 02:43 pm »
I have been playing around recently with the toe in for my HT3's. I have set them up intially to what I thought was a compromise regarding the configuration of my room.
After a few months I decided to go back to my quest in tinkering and Whoa the imaging snapped into place by taping my position and 1/4 Toe In move of the left speaker.

The reason for the query is in regard to the recent threads with D Murphy and others thoughts on the Dali Heilcon speakers and off axis on axis sound and measurement,etc.
I find that while my room is a living room set up with the left side of the room the speaker is much further away from the wall and staircase,thus the toe in change. The right side of the room and speaker is about 2 feet from the side wall while the left is about 7 feet away.
 I find that I had better off axis sound with less toe. When I toe in more the soundstage is bigger and the ribbons seem to work more in concert. Is too much toe in an issue off axis?
What I think I have achieved is a very good one person sweet spot, good to OK for the rest of the room.

BTW, room configuration can not change due to WAF :oops:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Re: Toe In
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2007, 11:05 pm »
I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, but all I can say is that the HT3's frequency response in the upper midrange, lower treble will be a little smoother 15-20 degrees off-axis.  But the phase relationships around the crossover region are better optimized on-axis.  So there may be a small trade-off between frequency response (speakers pointed straight ahead) and imaging clarity (speakers pointed at you).  But I would just put them wherever you want them.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2007, 12:08 am »
Mark, I find the sound intriguing when the speakers are toed in but the soundstage is narrower and thinner than if they are barely toed in.  I get instruments out to the edges of the speakers when almost straight forward.  Am turning my room 90 degrees right now and have a wider deeper set up.

TomW16

« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct 2007, 10:48 pm »
I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, but all I can say is that the HT3's frequency response in the upper midrange, lower treble will be a little smoother 15-20 degrees off-axis.  But the phase relationships around the crossover region are better optimized on-axis.  So there may be a small trade-off between frequency response (speakers pointed straight ahead) and imaging clarity (speakers pointed at you).  But I would just put them wherever you want them.

Hi Dennis,

I am wondering if you have ever tried to design the phase relationships for an optimal off-axis response?  That is, potentially designing the phase relationship for a 15-20 degree off-axis listening angle?

Cheers,
Tom

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2007, 12:25 am »
I can certainly do that.   Truth is--it won't make much difference, and there's so much credibility attached to the on-axis response that I kind of hate to compromise that even slightly.  Plus, many people do listen on-axis (and a center channel will always be listened to that way), and if you're working with a driver like the W18 that has a strong break-up mode, I want to make sure I've got it down as far as I can on-axis.  Off-axis, the break-up peak will fall off rapidly because it's so directional.