SS8, Exotica, Silk

Tomy2Tone

SS8, Exotica, Silk
« on: 13 Sep 2014, 01:25 am »
Hey Everybody!

I'm finally at the point I want to upgrade my Songtowers and am looking for some input to help me make a decision. I've gone back and forth about which of these speakers makes the most sense for me and can't seem to come to a conclusion.

I currently have a pair of Songtowers with the Hiquphon tweeter and in the past have had them set up with a pair of rythmik subs. Love the combo! So as of now I have just the Songtowers setup with a DSPeaker dual core 2.0 and love what it does for the bass.

I'm currently in a state of transition after selling my house so I'm looking for hopefully what would be my last speaker purchase. Not knowing the size of the room they are going in doesn't concern me at the moment as I just want the best possible soundstage, detailed, 3d holographic imaging that I can get from one of these speakers. I know the room plays a big role but I'm sure my next house will be selected with these speakers in mind. In other words they will go in a living room or great room and not a bedroom.

I recently visited a local Salk owner that had the SS8's and loved what they did in regards to my desires. I think I could see the SS8's being used without subs and possibly selling the subs or using them for HT and having the SS8's for two channel only.

I guess my real reason for posting is to get opinions on the similarities/differences between the Raal/accuton combo vs the Exotica dome and mid. Even the Silks Raal/mid sounds like a possibility after reading some impressions of past shows of people claiming they can sound real close to the SS8 setup.

Will the Exotica monitors combined with my rythmik subs give me the same performance that I heard with the SS8's? That could save some money, but I could save even more with the Silks combined with my rythmiks.

Just curious to get peoples impressions who have heard all three or at least two of these and how their midrange and upper frequencies compare with each other.

Thanks for your input!

-Tom

Austin08

Re: SS8, Exotica, Silk
« Reply #1 on: 13 Sep 2014, 02:56 am »
Tom,

I am an SS8 owner and I also heard the Exotica 3 at audio show recently. While both of them sound excellent and similarity in sound characteristic they are each represent a different taste. The SS8 is softer, lighter and more 3d and transparent. The Exotica on the other hand sounds much more dynamic and aggressive, vocal is a bit heavier tone and texture (compare to SS8) While Exotica bass is more pronounce and seem to have more ball, I felt the SS8's bass is tighter a bit.

Due to their design nature, the SS8 would require a bit more carefull when set up while the Exotica 3 is pretty much plug and play. This is so obvious that in the audio show, where the SS8 stand next to Exotica 3, many philes felt like Exotica 3 is a much better speakers. (When I heard Jim played Jazz variant through E3, my heart was like stopping. At that time, my mind was doubt about my SS8. I went back home, bough the test LP, and like ...wow, the SS8 can do that too). So, my conclusion is, The E3 was born to impress people while the SS8 need time, love and a bit of dedication to appreciate and to let it shine.

Are the E3s better speakers? Yes but are they worth the price to upgrade, that is a question that I still ask myself sometime.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #2 on: 13 Sep 2014, 04:25 am »
Hey thanks for the reply Austin08!

I'm definitely looking for more smooth and transparent than aggressive and heavy tone. From what I've read it seems the SS8 plays all types of music well and that good because I listen to a variety of genres. Anything from country/bluegrass to reggae/r&b and soul to classic rock and acoustical.

Since the SS8's are the only ones I've heard I'm obviously leaning that way, plus I much prefer their looks at this point. I just read that Jim will have the new cabinet for the E3 at RMAF next month which is a bummer for me because as much as I wanted to I can't make it.

Anybody out there ever hear the Silks next to the SS8's that care to comment? It's hard for me to imagine the 3way design with the accuton mid on the SS8 not to completely outperform the Silks but it would be interesting to know how they compare.

DEP14

« Reply #3 on: 13 Sep 2014, 11:51 am »
My favorite part of the SS8 is the midrange.  I tend to like bass also and the SS8 plays low and TIGHT.  Sounds funny but I actually wouldn't mind if the bass was just a slight bit "tubbier" on the SS8, though I love it how it is also.  Absolutely plays low and for all but theater I think you would be really happy.

I don't know that I would describe it as "light" in any way though.  Just my opinion of course.  I also love dynamic loudspeakers as I actually feel that is one of the things Klipsch has going for them.  I do like a real "live" sound.  While my previous Klipsch were a shade bit more dynamic, the SS8's have 90% of that but I can listen pretty loud for hours as they don't get bright.

The SS8 for me really opened my eyes to the difference your source and most importantly pre-amp makes.  When I was running a Marantz AV8801, a nice pre-amp in it's own right, there were a few times I thought it got a little bright (hard rock recordings and re-masters).  Since switching to a Classe SSP 800, I've never felt that once.

The pre-pro does make a huge difference for any speaker.  For kicks I hooked up my ancient Klipsch 4.2's and they actually sounded a lot less bright through the SSP800 also.

That said, for listening to all around music I suspect you would be thrilled with the SS8.  I miss mine badly (especially this weekend when we are having late october like rain and cold).  Mine are in for a re-finish with Jim now.

Austin08

« Reply #4 on: 13 Sep 2014, 02:11 pm »
I don't know that I would describe it as "light" in any way though

I mean SS8 sounds "lighter" than the E3 only. It does not mean SS8 sounds "light" in anyway.

JonnyFive

« Reply #5 on: 13 Sep 2014, 02:17 pm »
I own the SS8s, haven't heard the Exotica's yet but I plan to. 

I'd recommend either the SS8 or Exotica over the Silk, mainly because a 3-way design separates the bass from the vocals.  Hearing the HT2-TL's cranked up, as they start to have trouble reproducing the bass the vocals suffer. 

Will you ever use tube amplification?  If so, I'd lean towards the Exotica.  But Jim, Dennis, and Frank have heard the E3 driven with the Ultravalve and I believe the consensus was to use the Hybrid FetValve instead (hopefully I'm summarizing correctly).

The SS8s are neutral and very revealing.  Just as DEP had, I'm currently using an AV8801 to do the decoding, fed into a Parasound A21.  Upgrading to the AV8801 removed some of the jagged edge with the previous receiver, but I'm still looking for something smoother so I'm headed towards a dedicated 2 channel pre-amp with HT bypass.

If you lean towards warmth/romance I'd suggest giving the Exoticas an audition.  If you are a lover of accuracy and detail, I'd say you could get the SS8s and never look back.  I think you'd be more than happy with either.

JonnyFive

« Reply #6 on: 13 Sep 2014, 02:19 pm »
I mean SS8 sounds "lighter" than the E3 only. It does not mean SS8 sounds "light" in anyway.

This is probably the airy feel that the RAAL imparts, extending out to 20K and sloping up a bit there.  Sort of evaporates in mid air.  Reminds me of a church wafer that disappears the second it hits your tongue. 

The T35 will have more energy down lower.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #7 on: 13 Sep 2014, 02:24 pm »

You might be experiencing the difference in efficiency.  The E3's are much easier to drive and can go louder faster. 

Both great speakers.  Can't go wrong with either.  Once I heard the E3 I knew it was what I always wanted and was a big step up over the 8, imo.  Now if they can just finish the painting and then the front baffles on my E3's.  Jim's got a lot going on right now.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #8 on: 13 Sep 2014, 02:52 pm »

Thanks for the responses everybody!

If the SS8 is the more detailed and 3d type of speaker then that's probably where I will end up. I remember listening to Roberta Flack "Killing Me Softly" at the SS8 owners house I visited recently and was blown away at the detail retrieval. It still haunts me once in awhile on how it sounded.

JonnyFive-If recalling a religious experience comes to mind in describing the SS8 then I guess i can't go wrong with choosing it!   :D

I imagine the Salk shop is pretty busy with RMAF coming up so if I do put in an order I'll wait till after the show and things somewhat calm down.

ricardojoa

« Reply #9 on: 13 Sep 2014, 02:54 pm »
Dam i wish i had the chance to hear  both the SS8 and exoctica.
One thing though, the SS8 is an open back desing, so it might actually sound better with certain material like orchestral while the exoctica sound better with jazz.

Another thing, is that maybe the exotica dome tweeter could be replaced with a raal 140-15 as an alternative. I do agree that the raal tweeter is very special in producing highs, in a way it actually dissapear in the air sort of thing.
That said, i enjoy very much my dome ST, which obviously is no match to raal, but dome tweets can sound more exciting.
As with the silk, im sure they will sound fabulous, but i would opt for a larger Scanspeak midwoofer as oppose to the smaller midwoofer specially when you cross over to some subs.

SCompRacer

« Reply #10 on: 13 Sep 2014, 04:26 pm »
Maybe review this thread to help your decision. Some good input on the differences including Dennis Murphy and Jim in reply 26 and 28.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=125592.20

Myself, I heard both and prefer keeping my SS8's, and the added cost for the E3 isn't an issue. A great deal here if you decide Exotica.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=128656.0

sfox7076

« Reply #11 on: 13 Sep 2014, 08:16 pm »
I am 2 weeks from Exotoca's.  Can't wait to break them in.  And to see the finished product.  Mine are the SS8 style box. 

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #12 on: 13 Sep 2014, 08:39 pm »
In some of the previous threads there were questions about implementing the Raal with the E3. Wonder if anybody has asked about implementing the powered subwoofers into the SS8. Just a thought.

I know Jim is always willing to make whatever the customer wants but just curious if this could work. I'll call Jim eventually but if your reading this Jim, what do you think?

Wonder if it would give the SS8 that bigger, harder hitting bass people say is there with the E3. Just thinking out loud here.

JonnyFive

« Reply #13 on: 13 Sep 2014, 08:59 pm »
In some of the previous threads there were questions about implementing the Raal with the E3. Wonder if anybody has asked about implementing the powered subwoofers into the SS8. Just a thought.

I know Jim is always willing to make whatever the customer wants but just curious if this could work. I'll call Jim eventually but if your reading this Jim, what do you think?

Wonder if it would give the SS8 that bigger, harder hitting bass people say is there with the E3. Just thinking out loud here.

I've asked Jim about the RAAL on the E3, he's loving the T35 in there so there's no reason to change.  The T35 and W8 were made to go together.

The bass on the SS8s is outstanding.  I can watch Tron Legacy on them without a subwoofer and not miss a bit.  The woofer section of the E3 is powered because it has to be to match sensitivity with the Mid/Tweeter.  IMO, you'd be better off just getting the SS8s as-is and a pair of nice subwoofers with the extra money it'd cost you to change the bass section of the SS8s.  I use an SVS SB13 with my SS8s and they sound great together.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #14 on: 13 Sep 2014, 09:14 pm »

The bass on the SS8s is outstanding.  I can watch Tron Legacy on them without a subwoofer and not miss a bit.  The woofer section of the E3 is powered because it has to be to match sensitivity with the Mid/Tweeter.  IMO, you'd be better off just getting the SS8s as-is and a pair of nice subwoofers with the extra money it'd cost you to change the bass section of the SS8s.  I use an SVS SB13 with my SS8s and they sound great together.

I kind of figured as such but thought I would ask. I'm sure in the end it wouldn't be worth the extra cost but was just curious what others would think.

Do you you ever use the Svs for music or just for HT?

JonnyFive

« Reply #15 on: 13 Sep 2014, 09:50 pm »
Do you you ever use the Svs for music or just for HT?

I've tried both.  The standard advice is that if you cross low enough, it should be seamless.  I found this far from the truth. 

Crossing to a sub turns a 3 way design into a 4 way design.  Can my Marantz do as good of a job as Dennis did with the SS8 crossover?  Unfortunately it can't.  Maybe if I had more control over the slope (I assume it's standard 2nd order).  But to my ears, it just sounds more cohesive letting the SS8s do all the work for music.

This also allows me to leave my sub hot for movies without having to turn it back down for stereo listening.  :) 

IMO, I can't imagine wanting more bass than what the SS8s provide.  I wouldn't let the bass section be the deciding factor between the E3s vs SS8s.  I'd focus on the differences in the mid/tweeter presentation and consider both to have more than ample bass for music.

SCompRacer

« Reply #16 on: 13 Sep 2014, 10:39 pm »

IMO, I can't imagine wanting more bass than what the SS8s provide. 

True, but it depends on the room and what type of music you listen to as well. I have a pair of NHT subs to shore up the 25-35Hz range with my SS8's. I like me some Skrillex and classical organ music now and then. :D

Art_Chicago

« Reply #17 on: 13 Sep 2014, 11:33 pm »

Anybody out there ever hear the Silks next to the SS8's that care to comment? It's hard for me to imagine the 3way design with the accuton mid on the SS8 not to completely outperform the Silks but it would be interesting to know how they compare.

I actually did at AXPONA in 2013. Jim was using Frank's ABX switch box that levels the volume of the speakers.  I should say that the Silks were very impressive-- it was hard to tell what speakers (SS8 or Silk) were playing on acoustic and jazz music (above 40 Hz). The  Silks were smoother a bit, but i did not feel that any details were missing at all. It would be a wise buy for you as you already have 2 subs.
Now I have not heard the Exotica's , but I did hear the SS12. Their bass is shocking.
You will need a lot of power to run all of them except for Exotica.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #18 on: 14 Sep 2014, 01:18 am »
I actually did at AXPONA in 2013. Jim was using Frank's ABX switch box that levels the volume of the speakers.  I should say that the Silks were very impressive-- it was hard to tell what speakers (SS8 or Silk) were playing on acoustic and jazz music (above 40 Hz). The  Silks were smoother a bit, but i did not feel that any details were missing at all. It would be a wise buy for you as you already have 2 subs.
Now I have not heard the Exotica's , but I did hear the SS12. Their bass is shocking.
You will need a lot of power to run all of them except for Exotica.

Thanks for the reply Art_Chicago!

This is what I remember reading when the Silks came out but they seem to have taken a back seat to the Exotica monitors and now of course the Exotica 3's. Unfortunately nobody in my area has a pair of Silks to audition. Would love to hear the Raal/Scanspeak in comparison to what I heard with the Raal/Accuton on the SS8.

Like you said that would be the most economical decision I could make. I guess the Silks paired with dual rythmiks would be a 3 way in a sense but using the DSPeaker I would have to use the crossover on the subs. I could probably call Jim and see if he has a pair of Silks around the shop he could send for demo and hear for myself if they can do what the SS8's can do as far as midrange and upper frequencies.

I appreciate all the responses thus far! I've been a long time lurker but it is nice to be able to correspond with all the great people here.

jsalk

« Reply #19 on: 14 Sep 2014, 01:06 pm »

I have given this some thought.  The problem is, the Accuton mid in the SS8's needs to be crossed higher.  I am not sure if the powered woofer section would work that well crossed that high.  The drivers were not designed to play that high and the servo circuitry would have to be re-designed to allow the amp to play that high.  With the current set-up, it is a no-go.

- Jim