Downsizing

saldeen

Downsizing
« on: 18 Sep 2013, 04:24 pm »
Hi, I am a current Salk HT2-TL owner and am thinking about downsizing into a much smaller speaker/system. Currently I have a Modwright Transporter, Modwright SWL 9.0 and Wyred 4 Sound ST-500. This forum was a great help in choosing this system. I love the sound I currently have, specifically the clear highs(cymbals and violin sound so realistic and natural) and the fullness of the midrange(you can really hear the woodiness and richness of the cello). Obviously I won't get the volume and bass that I get with my current setup, which is fine because I plan on having the new system in a small office and mainly listen to classical. Looking to save space and money.  Can I expect to find something close to what I currently have in a smaller system? Do you have any recommendation on speakers and front end that would fit the bill? Thanks.

glangford

Re: Downsizing
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2013, 09:56 am »
The Salk Wow1 speakers!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2013, 11:31 am »
If you really want to down size and are willing to give up some volume/bass in a small office consider powered, or better yet active, compact 2-way stand/desk mounted speakers.  Note that these designs can have DSP (digital signal processing to improve crossover performance, extend bass at lower volumes, etc.) and DAC (digital to analog signal conversion) built-in.  Prices are very competitive compared to passives (that have most of their money put into veneer).  Just play your CD's through your computer or rip them using iTunes.  I've been into stereo/audio for 40+ years and this is the direction I'm going in for my next 2nd system.

DAC technology is changing everyday, so either invest in a high quality unit such as Schiit BiFrost ($350) that is designed to be upgraded (one option is already available).  Currently it's not easy to go much cheaper with comparable sound quality, but you could try and just plan on upgrading in the future.  Control volume from the computer or from the speakers (some have front mounted volume controls).

Definitions:

Powered typically have a stereo amp built into one speaker.  This amp has been selected/designed to match the speakers, otherwise similar to conventional passive speaker with separate amplification.

Actives have one channel of amplification per driver, again selected/designed to match and typically located inside the speaker cabinets.  The crossover is before the amps in the signal path (allowing for a more sophisticated design and for the amps to see/react better/more efficiently to the drivers).  Actives provide much improved dynamics, flatter frequency response, and incredibly deep bass for their size/cost. 

Studio monitors are almost always active, but have a dry, un-involving sound, and are intended to find all the warts versus providing an enjoyable presentation.  With the advent of computer/internet based sourcing more home use/audiophile powered/active options are being introduced.

Examples (none too big IMO for desktop use, but big enough for a small room), ranked by sound quality:

Vanatoo Transparent One - $500/pair, powered, response down to 49 Hz, $50 cherry option, honest use of DSP, analog and 24/96 digital inputs (DAC built into amp), rather well built

Emotiva 4 - $350/pair, active, response down to 58 Hz, ribbon tweeters, industrial looking, no grill, detailed sound, big soundstage, good value, front mounted volume control, add a DAC

Adam A3X - $650/pair, active, response down to 60 Hz, ribbon tweeters, rather industrial looking, no grill, professional studio monitors that sound really good (convincing, thrilling, un-diluted, super fine delineation of micro details, not sharp/harsh, highs are breathed, bass is tight/tuneful, single front mounted volume control (via their "Stereolink" feature), add a DAC

You can spend more on a system, but mostly you'd be getting nicer cabinets, deeper bass, and/or more volume.
« Last Edit: 22 Sep 2013, 10:59 am by JLM »

Jim Griffin

« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2013, 12:52 pm »
My desktop/computer setup uses the Emotiva Airmotiv4 active monitors (the same speaker mentioned by JLM) driven from my laptop via an Audioquest Dragonfly USB DAC.   Very good sound and small footprint.  You can use larger active monitors for more bass but the size grows. 

MikeC78

« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2013, 04:18 pm »
I was thinking more in-line of the Salk "Silks"... Same RAAL and that Illuminator Mid digs deep in that small enclosure.

front242

« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2013, 05:49 pm »
See my recent Silk write up a few threads down.  If they are in your budget (you will need to spend another $700 on Sound Anchors or similar quality stands if you cannot find some used), the Silks are the way to go.  Also, you've already got the solid state muscle amp Jim says will make them sing.

Somehow in talking about the Silks in my earlier post I managed to leave out a description of the very first improvement I noticed over my prior speakers.  Inner detail.  There's just more of it.  So the sound is very layered and full with tons of information.  Love them!

saldeen

« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2013, 06:16 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I am sure the Silks would be the best quality option, but I can't really afford them right now, and I am not sure that it would be worth it. I currently have everything set up in our empty dining room, and we are going to need to use it soon for its true purpose. That means no more dedicated listening space and with all our kids, I don't really get much(any actually) dedicated time to listen anyway. I work from home, so I want a pretty good system in my office that I can use throughout the day, but there isn't a lot of space and placement could be an issue too. The WOW1's are definitely a consideration as are the Actives that JLM mentions. I went from Monitor Audio Silver series to the Salk's, i I was amazed at the difference, so it leaves me wondering how much of a step down the WOW1's are from the HT2-TL? Again, I am not really concerned about the volume or bass. Thanks.

martyo

« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2013, 07:16 pm »
If you take volume and bass out of the equation the "voicing" of the all the Salk speakers in the mids and highs are similiar. NO, the WOW's arent's the SoundScape's, but you get what I am saying. With the WOW's you are still getting high quality drivers and crossover and an F3 in the mid 40's, not just response into the 50's or 60's. There is certainly a cost difference between the actives and the WOW's but if you're concerned about a fall off going to the WOW's from the HT2's, I'd really be concerned going Salkless. Plus the looks, they are Salks. It depends on your budget, but I'm sure your eyes and ears would be WOWWED. Just my 2 cents. 8)

Jdgate

« Reply #8 on: 20 Sep 2013, 08:20 pm »
Hi, I am a current Salk HT2-TL owner and am thinking about downsizing into a much smaller speaker/system. Currently I have a Modwright Transporter, Modwright SWL 9.0 and Wyred 4 Sound ST-500. This forum was a great help in choosing this system. I love the sound I currently have, specifically the clear highs(cymbals and violin sound so realistic and natural) and the fullness of the midrange(you can really hear the woodiness and richness of the cello). Obviously I won't get the volume and bass that I get with my current setup, which is fine because I plan on having the new system in a small office and mainly listen to classical. Looking to save space and money.  Can I expect to find something close to what I currently have in a smaller system? Do you have any recommendation on speakers and front end that would fit the bill? Thanks.

When you say you are downsizing, are you selling off your HT2-TL's or is this just a "downsized" system for that specific room?

WGH

« Reply #9 on: 20 Sep 2013, 08:22 pm »
As it happens, a friend brought over the WOW1's over for a listen last weekend and we compared them to my HT2-TL's. The WOW1 voicing is almost exactly like it's big brother and while listening to acoustic music without much deep bass it would be hard to tell which speaker is playing. The HT2-TL's do fill up the room with more sound which would be the obvious giveaway but other than that I was surprised how close they sounded.

Wayne

saldeen

« Reply #10 on: 21 Sep 2013, 02:06 am »
Martyo, Wayne, thanks for the impressions. I was wondering how much I would be giving up going from the HT2-TL's with the ribbon tweeter to a much smaller speaker with a dome tweeter. I was hoping it would not be as big of a dropoff as going from the Salk's to the Monitor Audio's. Sounds like the WOW1's will be a very good option.
Jdgate, I am selling my HT2-TL's, I have them listed on Audiogon now, and will most likely sell the rest of the system after I sell the Salk's. I just want to keep everything around so people can audition the speakers if they like. I may keep some parts of the front end, but I would prefer to go with something with a much smaller footprint. With all the kids we need to use the dining room to actually dine so the only option I have now is to have a smaller system in my office.

glangford

« Reply #11 on: 21 Sep 2013, 10:36 am »
It's a shame you are getting rid of your ht2's.  Why not put them in the living room with the TV and an AVR. At least you'd have them for family movie night!

jd3

« Reply #12 on: 21 Sep 2013, 10:55 am »
Saldeen, I'm in the same boat as you (though i don't have space restrictions).  I just don't have the time I'd thought to listen to my SS8's.  Most of my listening involves me working in my upstairs office and the system playing downstairs.  Life just doesn't work out sometimes as you plan.  I was planning on selling and replacing with Songbirds that are currently in my HT rig, but my wife's put the sale idea on hold as she doesn't want me to sell them. ( It would be hard for me to sell anyway as I have no boxes since I picked the speakers up at Jim's.)  But, not to derail your thread, I think you'll be happy with any of Jim's speakers as they all have the same voicing (at least to my ears!), and if you have room for floorstanders in your office Songbirds are a great option.  You might even want to consider Songsurrounds for a more economical choice.

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #13 on: 21 Sep 2013, 02:03 pm »
Saldeen, I'm in the same boat as you (though i don't have space restrictions).  I just don't have the time I'd thought to listen to my SS8's.  Most of my listening involves me working in my upstairs office and the system playing downstairs.  Life just doesn't work out sometimes as you plan.  I was planning on selling and replacing with Songbirds that are currently in my HT rig, but my wife's put the sale idea on hold as she doesn't want me to sell them. ( It would be hard for me to sell anyway as I have no boxes since I picked the speakers up at Jim's.)  But, not to derail your thread, I think you'll be happy with any of Jim's speakers as they all have the same voicing (at least to my ears!), and if you have room for floorstanders in your office Songbirds are a great option.  You might even want to consider Songsurrounds for a more economical choice.

Hmmmm, your thinking of selling your SS8 ?

WGH

« Reply #14 on: 21 Sep 2013, 03:36 pm »
I was wondering how much I would be giving up going from the HT2-TL's with the ribbon tweeter to a much smaller speaker with a dome tweeter.

We didn't do an analytical comparison between the two speakers. Trying to compare the sound of the big HT2-TL to the WOW1 would be hard to do because the HT2-TL's sound is so much bigger in every way. What is important is that the Seas Excel W12 and 3/4” Hiquphon OW1 tweeter in the WOW1 work together perfectly balancing the highs and lows. When Brent was listening in the middle seat I left the room for a while, when I got back I forgot the little WOW1's were playing and enjoyed the music.

Wayne

jd3

« Reply #15 on: 21 Sep 2013, 08:59 pm »
Hmmmm, your thinking of selling your SS8 ?

Yep, thinking about it.  If I do it would have to be a 'local' sale.

charmerci

« Reply #16 on: 22 Sep 2013, 02:16 am »
Yep, thinking about it.  If I do it would have to be a 'local' sale.

You are thinking about selling SS8's and your wife wants you to keep them??? I think some psychotherapy is needed here!

:o    :scratch:    :green:

jd3

« Reply #17 on: 22 Sep 2013, 10:31 am »
You are thinking about selling SS8's and your wife wants you to keep them??? I think some psychotherapy is needed here!

:o    :scratch:    :green:

Could be!   :icon_lol: