SongTowers with ow2 or RAAL tweeters, what's the difference

safebelayer

I'd like to know the difference in performance between the std SongTower tweeter (ow2) and the ribbon (RAAL).  What would I notice using a Jolida 302B amp between the two?  My front end is a Basis 2001 tt with Rega 900 arm and dynavector 10x5 cartridge.  Thanks...btw, love this forum.

Big Red Machine

Re: SongTowers with ow2 or RAAL tweeters, what's the difference
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2011, 07:06 pm »
About this much, assuming you can detect with your system:

Nuance

« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2011, 07:51 pm »
I totally disagree. :)  It's more like this much:

I think there is an obvious difference, and that the timbre and tonality snaps into place with the RAAL.  The dispersion is better with the dome, though.  I've heard the RAAL in a few speakers and in a few different systems, for what it's worth.  It really depends on what you're looking for.

Nuance

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2011, 07:52 pm »
Oops, double post.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2011, 09:24 pm »
Only the shadow knows for sure!!!

:banana piano:

I have the dome tweeters and have had many other fine speakers with 6 ft long ribbon tweeters etc...all good...the ribbon should be really good on the high end...but the dome tweeter in the Salks are very, very good as well.

Go audition them both, play your music and make your decision based on what you hear, prefer and like.

All the best
and
Merry Christmas!!

Alex

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2011, 12:13 am »
Get whatever you can afford or are willing to shell out. Each higher priced Salk model will get you a better loudspeaker. You won't regret it.

Saturn94

« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2011, 05:19 pm »
Both are excellent tweeters, but to my ears the RAAL sounds more natural/realistic than the dome.

safebelayer

« Reply #7 on: 28 Dec 2011, 09:08 am »
Going and auditioning the salks, well let's say they aren't right around the corner from me.  I live in Seattle.  Any NW folks out there with Salk SongTowers?

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 28 Dec 2011, 03:18 pm »
Going and auditioning the salks, well let's say they aren't right around the corner from me.  I live in Seattle.  Any NW folks out there with Salk SongTowers?

There are several of us around the area. I have the domes, some others have the ribbons. I'd imagine they'll chime in. If you'd like a listen PM me, we'll see what we can put together.  :)

kessljo

« Reply #9 on: 28 Dec 2011, 04:45 pm »
Should you want to travel a little ways over to Yakima, I have the Song Towers with the RAAL tweeter.

- Jake