Amplifier weird noises

goodguys

Amplifier weird noises
« on: 22 Sep 2020, 08:23 am »

Hi And thanks for reading. The problem i am having is that whenever i connect my amp to any sound source equipment which uses rca connectors for the sound output, the amp works fine.

Connected the amp to the Asus H170I-PRO motherboard which uses 3.5mm jacks for the sound output and i am getting crackling, static nosies I mean it is bad, really bad massive distortion.

I thought that since the outer shielded / braided screening cable of a stereo 3.5mm jack cable are connected together ( and rca's are not ) there may be some ground loops developing.

Is there a cure for this. Have you read anything or experienced anything of this nature. Is it ground loops? Do some amps just not like 3.5mm jacks. What should my next move be.

When i plug in headphones there is no noise. Also borrowed my neighbours amp and also no noise problems arose. Seems to be a problem specific to some amps.

Have just purchased a ground loop isolator and am waiting delivery.

If am forced to change motherboard do you know of any with rca connectors for the audio, more of a high end board.

Thanks.

dlaunde

Re: Amplifier weird noises
« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2021, 03:43 am »
Not sure if you have resolved your problem, but a few things to try:
1) New 3.5mm cable (it could be just loose enough that it is constantly hitting the connector wall on the motherboard)
2) Use a cheater plug (3 prong to 2 prong) on the computer and/or amp power cord to help determine if it is in fact ground loop hum or not (but don't use a cheater plug as a permanent fix)

stormwind13

Re: Amplifier weird noises
« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2021, 07:06 pm »
This looks like an old post, but if by chance you never got it figured out- there are many higher end sound cards that have more solid outputs. I think creative still makes some like this.