Re: Tubed or SS CD player for an all tube system
« Reply #20 on: 12 Apr 2010, 06:21 pm »
Also, http://www.decware.com
They're ZCD is very good, and a new dac has just been released--
Don

roscoeiii

« Reply #21 on: 12 Apr 2010, 06:50 pm »
The new Decware DAC has a DAC board that is very close (if not identical) to the Gigaworks board that is getting a lot of attention and praise in the DIY DAC thread here. But IIRC, the Decware has a unique analog output stage. And a great analog out stage can make all the difference.

Alexdad54

« Reply #22 on: 12 Apr 2010, 06:56 pm »
The new Decware has a DAC board that is very close (if not identical) to the Gigaworks board that is getting a lot of attention and praise in the DIY DAC thread here. But IIRC, the Decware has a unique analog output stage. And a great analog out stage can make all the difference.
Are your referring to the  Decware CD player or their new DAC? I already have a DAC, my MHDT Havana........

roscoeiii

« Reply #23 on: 12 Apr 2010, 07:00 pm »
Oh, sorry that would be the DAC. Original post edited.

Alexdad54

« Reply #24 on: 12 Apr 2010, 07:55 pm »
Well, before I go haring off after a new high-end cdp, i'm going to try roscoesiii's sugestion. I ordered a $55 Dayton GOC-6 Glass Optical Digital Cable so I'll hook the Oppo 983 up to the Havana and see how it sounds. The Havana has a convenient switch at the back for either coax or optical which makes it easier.

drphoto

« Reply #25 on: 12 Apr 2010, 09:13 pm »
There's always the tube buffer option. I use a Decware Zbox, which after getting the right tube is quite nice. I got it cheap, but many here swear by the Dodd unit. (I've not heard it)

Means more cabling though.

CDPs with tubes do not necessarily sound great. At one point I had what was the then the supposedly 'giant killer' Ah! Tjoeb unit (or however it's spelled) It didn't suck, but it wasn't worthy of the hype. I've been a lot happier with my Stan Warren modded SS digital gear.

When I get my own MAD pre in a few days, I will decide if the buffer stays or needs a new home.

Scott F.

« Reply #26 on: 12 Apr 2010, 11:05 pm »
I wish I'd seen your post earlier today, I could have saved you a couple of bucks on the Toslink. I bought a few from a guy on eBay for under $30. They are good quality, he ships quick and sound pretty decent with the Havana. Just in case you can cancel your order, here is the guy;

eBay Toslink

Anyway, on to your CDP. You are doing exactly what you should in using the digital out from your Oppo (or some other source as a transport). The thing with the Havana that is a bit quirky is that if you have the USB cable plugged in at the same time as the Toslink/S/PDIF, it takes control. What you will have to do is simply reach behind the Havana and unplug your USB cable so that the Havana will recognize the Toslink/USB input.

It's a little strange but it works...or at least thats how it works on mine. I've got a Toslink that feeds out of a Sony CDP into the back of my Havana so I can occasionally spin a CD that people bring over. The Sony sounds pretty decent as a transport. I've used the cheapie Pioneer DVD player as a transport too and it sounds fine too.

Bottom line, I wouldn't spend more than $100 on a CDP since you've got the Havana. Just by something cheap and use it as a transport feeding into your MHDT. You won't find a CDP that sounds as good as that combo without spending some serious bucks....honest.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #27 on: 12 Apr 2010, 11:21 pm »
Actually the Havana (which like you also has upgraded caps) is for my already ripped files stored on an external HDD via the netbook and Foobar. My interest in another CD player is because I'm not really inclined to rip the other 200+ CD's that I have thus the question about the merits of a tubed vs. non-tubed cdp into my system......

Personally that is exactly what I would do and have done. My ripped CD's on Hard Drive sound much better than on a CDP. When paired with a good player like J.River, you'd never need another CDP except for ripping & burning purposes. With your Havana, all you need is a solid jitter free transport for your computer which is what I've done with an Empirical Off-Ramp 3 and you'll free yourself of that combersome CD rack, forever messing with them discs. Just my opinion that comes from actual use.  :thumb:

By the way, what caps did you use in your Havana? I haven't gone there yet myself. Thanks.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

Alexdad54

« Reply #28 on: 12 Apr 2010, 11:56 pm »
Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated! I actually did see those Toslink cables on ebay Scott but decided to go with the Dayton as folks were saying it was a pretty good quality glass cable for the price. I won't have the problem with the USB vs. S/PDIF issue either as I'm using a M2Tech HiFace converter on the netbook to feed a Grover Huffman SC. digital cable into the Havana. That's why using the Oppo seems like a good alternative as there's a switch betweenToslink and USB/S/PDIF on the back of the Havana so I actually shouldn't have to do any cable swaps, just flick a switch.
I don't know if the Oppo could be considered a jitter-free transport but I'll give it a whirl and if I need to de-jitter it I'll figure something out by coming back here!  :thumb:
Re the caps in the Havana, I haven't a clue, they were done by the previous owner Tyson on the advice of Scott I believe.

Scott F.

« Reply #29 on: 13 Apr 2010, 01:08 am »
Re the caps in the Havana, I haven't a clue, they were done by the previous owner Tyson on the advice of Scott I believe.

After playing with a number of different output caps (VCaps, OIMPs, and a couple other lesser brands), I settled on using the stock caps and then bypassing them with two 0.1 Sprague Vitamin Qs per channel. They added just the right amount of texture and silkiness without hurting extension, clarity or bass.

The other thing they did was smooth out that last little bit of grit that the Havana had (which is what was bothering me). If anybody decides to do this just make sure you use authentic Vitamin Qs. Not all oilers sound the same. Also, the 50 volt versions work just fine since they are in the output (<5 volts).

A highly recommended tweak for less than $30 (assuming you can solder).  :thumb:

Alexdad54

« Reply #30 on: 19 Apr 2010, 02:10 pm »
Well,it's a bit too early to say as I have only played a few CD's's on the Oppo 983 connected to the Havana by toslink but it sounds very nice. Perhaps a bit too strident on the higher end though. I still have to do some A/B/ comparisons with the netbook/M2tech HiFace to Havana combo but it got me thinking. Could the Oppo sound a bit better via coax? That presents a bit of a problem though as I would then have two coax sources and only one coax input on the Havana. I looked and there are a couple of s/pdif switches on the market but my question is, how transparent would they be? Here is one I found: http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio-video/a-v-switchers/digital-audio-switcher/audio-authority-digital-audio-switcher-1177a/prod1177.html
Anyone have opinions on this?

NagysAudio

• http://www.nagysaudio.com
« Reply #31 on: 28 Apr 2010, 06:07 pm »
OP - I would recommend against a CD player with a tube. By adding a tube, the CD player performs always worse, NEVER better. I never understood why people like tubed CD players, I guess they prefer an inferior, more distorted system.

Alexdad54

« Reply #32 on: 30 Apr 2010, 12:06 pm »
OP - I would recommend against a CD player with a tube. By adding a tube, the CD player performs always worse, NEVER better. I never understood why people like tubed CD players, I guess they prefer an inferior, more distorted system.

Thanks for the input. Can you suggest a CD player for under $1500 (new or used)that fits the bill? I'm looking for good PRat and a musical mid-range with ample tight bass. (among other music I like reggae :green:)

It will be matched with a tube pre and main amp and out to Salk SongTowers.

NagysAudio

« Reply #33 on: 1 May 2010, 05:14 am »
In that price range, I really love the Rotel equipment. You can find used/demo RCD1072, RCD991, and RCD990 on Audiogon and still have money left over for other things.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #34 on: 1 May 2010, 11:56 am »

Simply not true.

Although it is not a cd player (rather it is a source for cd's, dvd's, etc... via the computer), my Modwright Transporter performs significantly better with tubes added to it vs. a stock Transporter.

Adding tubes doesn't mean increased distortion.

George

Photon46

« Reply #35 on: 1 May 2010, 01:56 pm »
Alexdad54, the Marantz Sa11s1 is available used at your price point now. It's performance emphasis is on the parameters you seek. Construction quality is superb as well. Many reviews are available. There are certainly other worthy contenders as well. Another possibility (albeit a price stretch) is a used Krell SACD standard. Very likely another player that has a sound you'd probably really like. The only thing to be careful of with the Krell is that some of the early first version players had problems with their drive. Krell has since corrected this from all accounts I hear. Prices used range from 1700-3000 depending on age and version.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #36 on: 1 May 2010, 03:07 pm »
I'm perfectly happy with the Jolida JD100 with Sovtek 12ax7-LPS tubes in it.  Liked it enough to buy a second one and both systems are all tubes.

NagysAudio

« Reply #37 on: 1 May 2010, 04:39 pm »
zybar - Then what exactly do these tubes do? Because in my opinion, they're as pointless as it gets.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #38 on: 1 May 2010, 07:32 pm »
zybar - Then what exactly do these tubes do? Because in my opinion, they're as pointless as it gets.

The tubes perform different tasks depending on the circuit and topology used in the cd player.  If you really want to better understand how the tubes are used in this type of application, I suggest you look at various tubed cd players and educate yourself. 

Until you do that, maybe you should stop saying that tubes add distortion and that they are pointless?  I really fail to see how your comments are assisting the OP, or anybody for that matter.

George

NagysAudio

« Reply #39 on: 1 May 2010, 09:09 pm »
Hmmmm... I was just playing dumb zybar.

Tubes are nothing more than a band aid for very poorly designed CD players. They add 2nd order harmonics to make it more pleasing to the ear. But why should anybody go this route? Why get a bad CD player and add yet more distortion in order to mask the more nasty distortion to make it more pleasing?

Why not just get a high quality CD player to begin with? There are wonderful units in just about any price range. Rotel, Proceed, Goldmund, DCS, Ayre, Mark Levinson, Micromega, Meta Research, YBA, and the list goes on and on.