A shockingly musical system ... for $1300!

IanVan

« on: 1 Feb 2004, 05:12 am »
It seems that there are quite a few folks here interested in putting together great systems on the cheap. I've just put a system together in my office, and figured I'd share some of the details, as I was greatly helped in my component selection by recent postings here:

I wanted to have 2 channel sound that I could crank while working at my computer for 5-7 hours a day - and get the same visceral/musical impact I get from my 'main' system. The reality being that the main system sits idle, in silence, while I'm toiling away upstairs. I wanted to be moved by music while I work.

One of my physical considerations was dealing with a large desktop, and a higher sitting position than that of a couch. I realized that I needed to use monitors, and place them higher than usual, so that I could minimize the destop reflection effects.

I also have somewhat limited space in the room, so I was hoping to use a nearfield setup, with speakers in an equilateral 5' triangle from my head.

At my local high-end audio stores, I couldn't find any high quality, HEAVY-duty stands in the 42"+ range. So I went the Pro Audio route, and got a pair of 43 inch Middle Atlantic stands that were designed for studio monitoring.  They weigh almost 40 lbs each unfilled, have large bases, and are solid as a rock. I also got some Auralex MoPAD isolation pads (http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_mopad/sound_isolation_mopad.asp), that allow me to tilt the monitors down, and get the drivers facing the right direction while on high stands. The moPADs allow for either 4 or 8 degrees of tilt. They are also great at isolating monitors from the stands, and eliminating any hint of stand vibration.

For monitors I went with Green Mountain Audio Europa's. (FWIW, they look great with the Auralex pads, on the tall black stands).

Since I only plan to play CD's in my office (and do not need any analog inputs), I went with the Panasonic XR45 digital amp.

For a CD source, I picked up a NEC CDR-602 External SCSI CDROM drive with digital output. If you're not familiar with it, see: http://positive-feedback.com/Issue3/cdrom.htm (I blind tested it against a $1000+ Arcam unit, and it wasn't close. The NEC unit was audibly clearer, and more revealing. It was quite a shock. Also quite annoying to hear the more audible tape hiss on old jazz recordings, LOL.)

I am using 75 ohm Canare RCAP-C4A RCA crimp plug connectors, with 75 ohm Canare LV-61S coax video cable as my digital interconnect.

I am using Canare 4S8 13 AWG speaker cable, with bare ends. When building my main system years ago, I blind-tested this Canare cable against MUCH more expensive speaker wires, and was unable to differentiate.

I put it all together, turned on the FM tuner, cranked it up quite loud, and went away skiing for 5 days...

The music? The system is remarkably clear and detailed, with a nonexistant noise floor, no audible distortion even when played loud, a decent soundstage and tight controlled base. I get decent visceral 'impact' from a wider variety of music (roots, rock, electronic, folk, jazz, blues, acoustic, vocal, orchestral, celtic) than in my main system. But so far, I don't get the same spine-tingling impact that I'm used to getting from my main system with small group acoustics or vocals. With simple small group acoustic music, the musicians have more air/presence, and there is a much broader soundstage on my other system. Alternatively, the detail on the Europa/XR45/NEC sytem is much greater, and it plays much clearer at volume. The Europa/XR45/NEC/Canare system also plays with much more visceral impact at low volumes.

I have not been able to get the Europa's setup in a true nearfield arrangement. In my room, they don't seem to open up their soundstage until they are separated by at least 8', which means that I must be at least 8' from the line joining their rear conrners. Although workable for me right now, it takes up much more space than I was originally intending.

I must also admit that the potential of any system in my office is limited by an incredibly 'live', bright room, with an odd 'T' shape, large windows, hardwood floors, skylights and an arched ceiling. It is an acoustic nightmare.

Room limitations aside, this is a superbly musical system, capable of playing at a large range of volumes. And the cost?

Middle Atlantic Stands - $150 used
Auralex MoPAD's - $30
GMA Europa's - $640 gently used
Panasonic XR45 - $380
NEC CDR-602 - $20 used
Canare speaker wire - $40
Canare digital ic - $25

Total: $1285 USD.

I left out taxes, and shipping cost for the Europa's, but this is one phenomenally musical system for $1300! Who says that high-end audio has to be expensive?

If anyone in the Vancouver area is interested in hearing it, please shoot me a PM, and we can work something out.

Cheers.

Chris_B

« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2004, 05:39 am »
Very nice.  I clicked on this thread just to see what components you went with.  As it turns out, I just began using a pair of Europas.  They are great sounding and very neutral speakers.  I doubt you will ever get them to distort no matter how loud you play them with a decent amp.  As far as the visceral impact, I wonder how much of that is due to the electonics.  In my system with a Conrad Johnson tube amp, I get a very "holographic" sound that only grows when I turn up the volume.  When I feel like I can "see" and feel the kick drum, guitar and main vocals, I consider that visceral.  Just for kicks, try the Europas in your main system for a day and see what you think.  My initial guess is that the Panny 45 is good at detail and tight, controlled bass but may not give you the same texture as your main system.  FWIW, many others love the Europas with tubes.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2004, 08:33 am »
Thanks IanVan , goes to show that, with careful shopping and component matching, a good low cost system is possible. Enjoy and Thanks  for the info !! :)