What's up with these speakers that don't have an Xover?

Mark T. Montgomery

Hey guys I just found out that certain speakers, Axioms M3s for example, don't have an Xover and are supposed to be "free range" speakers.  Is this good or bad?  Advantages, disadvantages, ect. ect.

JohnR

« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2004, 04:32 pm »
A particular type of speaker using "full range drivers" (not free range ;-) ) -- that is, they have a single driver that covers the whole audio spectrum, or enough of it that you can get by without additional drivers. Go to the http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?page=2">Circle Index and scroll down and look for Omega Speakers, Rutledge Audio, and the Horn Shoppe, all these companies make this type.

You can also search this forum and others for Fostex, Jordan, and Tangband, which are brands of full range drivers.

Those Axioms don't look like they use full range drivers, as they have a tweeter. It's possible that the woofer has no lowpass filter on it.

Mark T. Montgomery

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2004, 04:34 pm »
Thanks... :)

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2004, 04:02 am »
I like free range drivers- I don't believe in all the steroids and antibiotics speaker growers use in their regular speakers.  Er, uh...never mind. :P  :lol:

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2004, 11:51 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
I like free range drivers- I don't believe in all the steroids and antibiotics speaker growers use in their regular speakers.  Er, uh...never mind. :P  :lol:

Rob, the last thing we need is free range chickens starting to drive!!! Free range chicken-drivers would be a menace!! How could their feet even reach the pedals??  How could they steer with just their wings???  How could they use the CD player???

rosconey

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2004, 11:58 am »
could be freerange cows :o
the cattle gets mad cow  :evil:  
so we go :uzi:
after have a :beer:  and a  :smoke:
but the worst part -there are no outlets on the free range to hook a stereo up to :scratch:

WerTicus

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2004, 03:46 pm »
my ar 25s have the woofer full range with just the tweeter having one very large high quality looking cap on it.