Q:Best BUDGET power or integrated AMP (under$1000)

TheChairGuy

Re: Q:Best BUDGET power or integrated AMP (under$1000)
« Reply #20 on: 13 Feb 2007, 10:49 pm »
The MMG's really do better with current, not as mush voltage, swung into them.  So, SS (or digital) is the way to go.

My very powerful 50 watt tube amps simply are gutless driving them.  Low end control of those flapping (ultimately high distortion) low frequency drivers are really an obstacle with the little Maggies......tube amps are particularly bad at controlling those drivers well.

I thought the JVC digi amps made magic with the MMG's for cheap....the tighter regulation of bottom end help those long low frequency drivers on the Maggie. I though the pairing was more effective than even the Odyssey Khartago Mono Extreme's also paired with them.

For real cheap and powerful 150 watts with broad capability to handle low impedance loads with ease, the AudioSource Amp300 is hard to beat. It's widely available for $400.  You can save a bunch and go to their Amp200 model, too. Both of them have dual volume controls so yo can run a CDP straight into them for shortest signal path.

I had the prior generation Amp3 and thoughts it was excellent value.  With a little Dakiom Feedback Stabilizer (see Audiogon for their ad) for $59 or so it made fantastic sounds.

ryno

« Reply #21 on: 14 Feb 2007, 01:43 am »
Quite a few on the maggie forum use pro audio amps:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?Partnumber=248-745

It would leave enough for a nice pre.
I use a bryston 3BST on my MG12's, also tried a hypex UCD digital.
Ryan

audiosapiens

« Reply #22 on: 15 Feb 2007, 03:17 am »
Well, your upgrade totally depends on the budget you have. If you’re looking for the best quality, prepare more $$$ and get the digital; unless, there’s someone who’s willing to trade for a lesser price.