Driving plate amp low level inputs with speaker level signals

NoahH

I want to use my nx-tremes and OB subs with an Ayre AX-5 Twenty. Unfortunately the Ayre does not have a line level output, and I don't have speaker level inputs on my plate amps. Has anyone tried making an adapter to feed a high level inputs? This is also a balanced output from the Ayre making it more complex.

Note that I know there is a plate amp with speaker level inputs, but I could not get them from supply chain issues when I built the subs, and I would need 4 plates so it is a pretty costly option.

Thanks all!

mikeeastman

I have the same problem. I use a Jensen Iso-Max. It's a transformer that coverts high level to line level and has outputs for both RCA and XLR.  It works very well for me, dead quiet.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
I did that to drive my nx-studios and my svs subs. If you have some basic soldering skills, it's quite simple. From the speaker wire into the converter box, have a ¼W 10k resistor on the + side from speaker wire to rca plug, and a ¼W 1K resistor across the + and ground of the rca plug. Then just a regular rca cable from adapter box to sub rca input.

If you need to attenuate the sub level up or down, just lower or raise the value of the 10K resistor. I ended up going with a 22K to allow some level of adjustment for level matching. I think I have a photo somewhere that I'll add to this post if I find it.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K

Sorry for the funky photo inside the adapter box. As you can kinda see, it's mounted to the bottom side of my speaker stands. Anyways, here is not a pretty example of what youre looking to do, but it doesn't need to be pretty to be effective.

Speaker wire can be piggybacked from speakers or from amp side. I wasn't able to tell a difference and didn't feel like extra wires running across the room when the adapter came straight off the stereo.

Hope this helps.

NoahH

That definitely helps - thanks!