NOS tubes for Van Alstine FET Valve CFR preamp?

BEL1001MkV

NOS tubes for Van Alstine FET Valve CFR preamp?
« on: 28 Mar 2023, 10:39 pm »
I'm looking for the best recommendations for NOS 12AT7 and NOS 12AU7 tubes for my AVA (Van Alstine) FET Valve CFR preamp, made by the likes of Amperex, Mullard, RCA, and Telefunken.  Also intrigued by Brimar, Mazda, Valvo and some of the other old brands.  Anyone try these in my preamp or similar?  Thank you!

WGH

Re: NOS tubes for Van Alstine FET Valve CFR preamp?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2023, 04:24 pm »
The change to NOS tubes will be subtle but it did take the eliminate the slight sharp edge the original JJ tubes have. My Salk HT2-TL speakers have a sound between analytical and musical, Jim Salk designed them to sound closer to a recording studio monitor. I am also using Hapa Audio silver interconnects which are also very clear and precise.

I bought CV4024/12AT7 Mullard, NOS/NIB and Genalex Gold Lion B749/ECC82/12AU7 reissues from Jim McShane and will never go back to the JJs.

I wrote about the tubes here:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=180635.msg1898392#msg1898392

Note: clean the pins before using with DeoxIt or CRC QD Electronic Cleaner from Ace Hardware (what I used). The copper pins on NOS tubes are slightly oxidized and can become noisy. I thought my NOS tubes were going bad and put the JJs back in (yuck). Instead of selling me more tubes, Jim McShane said "clean the pins." He was right.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2023, 08:24 pm »
Thanks for the reminder Bel/WGH, been thinking about trying some swaps with my first gen unit.  :thumb:

I did just swap out the OEM 6N1Ps in my old Ultra Pre for some 6922s from Frank, and it still sounds as sweet as it always has, just a touch smoother maybe.  8)
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2023, 11:54 pm by ArthurDent »

jjss49

« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2023, 08:59 pm »
i have ample USA old stock sets of au7's (and some at7's), collected in the 80's-90's-00's - ping me on DM if I can help supply a few matched pairs - i am happy to help