Not an Audiophile.

Machine-De-Zine

Not an Audiophile.
« on: 15 Mar 2023, 08:20 am »
Hello, first post!
I do not consider myself an audiophile, I play the drums and have an assortment of playback audio gear gathered together in an attempt to approximate the sound quality and SPLs of live music, and to enjoy my tapes, CDs, records, FM radio, etc.
Interested in hearing the new Brute speakers, but my primary power amps may be a bit much for them.
An Audio Research DS450, a 300.2, McIntosh MC2600, and also 2X Crown Macro Reference Esoterics, 2X Macro Tech 5002VZ, (used now for subs)
These Brute speakers might be a better fit for my old Sansui AU X911DG @ ~100 wp/ch ???

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Not an Audiophile.
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2023, 11:17 am »
Hello, first post!
I do not consider myself an audiophile, I play the drums and have an assortment of playback audio gear gathered together in an attempt to approximate the sound quality and SPLs of live music, and to enjoy my tapes, CDs, records, FM radio, etc.
Interested in hearing the new Brute speakers, but my primary power amps may be a bit much for them.
An Audio Research DS450, a 300.2, McIntosh MC2600, and also 2X Crown Macro Reference Esoterics, 2X Macro Tech 5002VZ, (used now for subs)
These Brute speakers might be a better fit for my old Sansui AU X911DG @ ~100 wp/ch ???
Do you would inform the specs of this speakers?

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2023, 12:07 pm »
I do not consider myself an audiophile

That's a typical delusional statement only an audiophile would utter. Some roses wouldn't consider themselves a flower, but sayin' it don't make it so.

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2023, 03:23 pm »
That's a typical delusional statement only an audiophile would utter. Some roses wouldn't consider themselves a flower, but sayin' it don't make it so.

:thumb: LOL
Peanuts are not nuts!  :lol:

I came into the audio hobby as a musician so I know what OP means. Music first!
But beryllium tweeters, NOS DACs, upgrade cable$ and the like certainly make music listening a lot more fun.

Audiophile + musician = two great tastes that go great together!

Welcome to AudioCircle, Machine-De-Zine!

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2023, 03:35 pm »
Welcome!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2023, 11:09 am »
Audio Research and McIntosh and not audiophile  :thumb:

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2023, 01:28 pm »
A few months ago, I was called an audiophile online."Oh Mariusz, but you have Bryston gear, Cardas cables, Audioacoustic isolators, Puritan PSM156, Vicoustic panels...you must be an audiophile".My response was, "Dude, did you see my discography, most of it is underground black, death metal cds, with not the best production and sound, I'am not an audiophile.I happen to own decent high end equipment, only because I can afford it."
When you buy an exotic sports car, does this automatically make you a playboy...???

The local high end store owner came to my place a year ago, we were setting up speaker placement, trying out Audioacoustics isolators.Then, at the end, he played some kind of cd, with impecckable production and sound.Honestly guys, I could not believe, how good my system sounded, amazing, heavenly sound.And I'm thinking, perhaps I should start listening to well recorded music???Yeah right, like that's gonna fucking happen!!!!!!LOL.
Perhaps, Mr.Machine-De-Zine is like me, he listens to the music, on his high end gear...?
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2023, 06:54 pm by Mariusz Uszynski »

Machine-De-Zine

« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2023, 07:59 am »
Thank you all for responding to my introductory post.

I state that I’m not an audiophile probably because I’m not sure I know what the term actually means to true audiophiles.

My experience, fellow musicians tend to care more about how effectively their artistic efforts reach their (often) live audience. Relatively few musicians spend time scrutinizing and/or judging home playback audio gear.

While building this system, I stumbled across a lot of knowledgeable audiophiles who tried to explain to me that so much of my choices in gear was variously flawed, and of course I listened to them and attempted to follow their advice, but most everything I tried caused other well intentioned audiophiles to contradict those improvements, so now I just try stuff until it sounds best to my ears.

One good result of building this collection is that my musician friends are amazed at how realistic my playback system replicates the authentic experience of actual live music events.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2023, 09:13 pm »
   I'am not an audiophile.I happen to own decent high end equipment, only because I can afford it."
You would have bought a cheap boom box instead a refinated Bryston amp.
Do you will accept sell your system and use a boombox?

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #9 on: 18 Mar 2023, 12:50 am »
   I'am not an audiophile.I happen to own decent high end equipment, only because I can afford it."

I see my comment tickled you a bit.Well, that's too fucking bad.
Tell me,why would I sell my system and buy boombox, what would that proof? I already told you, I can afford Bryston and the only reason I purchased Bryston was because, I couldn't afford Burmester, LOL.
We already have lots of audiophiles here, who only listen to good recordings and they listen on "boomboxes".

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 18 Mar 2023, 01:21 pm »

I see my comment tickled you a bit.Well, that's too fucking bad.
Tell me,why would I sell my system and buy boombox, what would that proof? I already told you, I can afford Bryston and the only reason I purchased Bryston was because, I couldn't afford Burmester, LOL.
We already have lots of audiophiles here, who only listen to good recordings and they listen on "boomboxes".
Incredible !
What defines whether a person is a audiophile or a music lover It is not what he claims, but the equipment she has at home.

In all my life I have only known one true music lover, was the Gen.Wilson, a fascinating person, charismatic, a simple person without formalities and racism towards modest persons or homeless.

Gen.Wilson was a music lover because although he was a rich man, his audio equipment was a simple 3-in-1 similar to image below, when someone asked why he didn't buy a hi-fi equipment, he said "I don't need more than that to hear the great singers", so I understood that his focus was the music, not the equipment.

He was a great connoisseur of classical music and especially operas, in his thousands of LPs collection there were 600 operas and dozens of books on music.
When he died his wife started sell his LPs next day, I learned very much about Opera with the Gen.Wilson.
RIP

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #11 on: 18 Mar 2023, 01:50 pm »
Incredible !
What defines whether a person is a audiophile or a music lover It is not what he claims, but the equipment she has at home.

In all my life I have only known one true music lover, was the Gen.Wilson, a fascinating person, charismatic, a simple person without formalities and racism towards modest persons or homeless.

Gen.Wilson was a music lover because although he was a rich man, his audio equipment was a simple 3-in-1 similar to image below, when someone asked why he didn't buy a hi-fi equipment, he said "I don't need more than that to hear the great singers", so I understood that his focus was the music, not the equipment.

He was a great connoisseur of classical music and especially operas, in his thousands of LPs collection there were 600 operas and dozens of books on music.
When he died his wife started sell his LPs next day, I learned very much about Opera with the Gen.Wilson.
RIP

Very touching story.Love the boombox, by the way.I know another music lover, who hated to be called audiophile, Mother Teresa.

newzooreview

« Reply #12 on: 18 Mar 2023, 03:14 pm »
A music lover is drawn into and emotionally connected to the music. Therefore, most music lovers look for adequately convenient equipment with a sound that doesn't noticeably inhibit their enjoyment. They listen to the beats, the words, and the melody and go with the flow.

Some music lovers experience a deepening of their enjoyment and significantly enhanced appreciation of certain music or artists when the fidelity of the equipment lets them hear more. On the other hand, some people don't hear the benefits of better equipment.

The folks who are passionate about enhancing their enjoyment of music through finding and setting up the equipment that reveals more of what they like are audiophiles. I've never met an audiophile who was not passionate about music. Of course, their tastes in music or what they like about the same music I like differ significantly. But to me, the imaginary rich person who buys expensive audio equipment as a show of wealth along with leather-bound books she's never read is not an audiophile.

Lots of audiophiles look foolish and obsessed, especially in popular media portrayals. So it's understandable if someone who loves music and bought nice equipment to increase his enjoyment is averse to being called an audiophile. Still, it does beg the question of why that person would join a forum of audiophiles.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #13 on: 18 Mar 2023, 07:01 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC   :thumb: