Photos of wiring install in dual H frame subs

drphoto

Photos of wiring install in dual H frame subs
« on: 8 Mar 2023, 01:08 am »
Hey gang. I looked at some of the build series, and maybe I missed it, but wondering if anyone has detail photos of how they physically routed the wiring on a dual H-frame sub. Not talking about the wiring schematic.....have that, what you did as far as routing, connecting to the drivers and then to the amp. I'm sure I could figure out something, but be easier to copy someone who has done before. Sorry if this info was previously posted and I missed.  Love to finish these subs now that I'm finally wrapping up all the repairs/remodeling on my buildings. Thanks.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Photos of wiring install in dual H frame subs
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2023, 01:49 am »
If you're using the Neutrik connector:
Amp connection: (male connector)
Large red wire 1+
Large Black wire 1-
Small red wire 2+
Small black wire 2-

Woofer side connection: (female connector)
1+ = Driver coil + (input)
1- = Driver coil - (output)
2+ = Servo coil+ (input)
2- = Servo coil - (Output)

If you are wiring the amps directly to the drivers:
Large Red wire => Driver Coil+
Large Black wire => Driver Coil -
Small Red wire => Servo Coil+
Small Black wire => Servo Coil -

As for routing, most just drill a hole in between the divider between the two woofers one hole for the driver coils, and another for the Servo coils on the other side. The Neutrik connector gets mounted to a small board on the base of the tower.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2023, 03:54 am »
Since the Multi-OB subs are, shall we say, unusual, I did things a little differently.

I wired the servo connections to an XLR jack mounted to the side of the cabinet.  Any XLR cable will work between sub and amp box.

The subs are wired directly back to the amp box which use two pairs of binding posts.

I had considered using a single speak-on connector but wanted the flexibility of different speaker cables.  Sometimes I consider doing the servo connection differently but it works for now.

BrandonB

« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2023, 04:59 am »
If you're using the Neutrik connector:
Amp connection: (male connector)
Large red wire 1+
Large Black wire 1-
Small red wire 2+
Small black wire 2-

Woofer side connection: (female connector)
1+ = Driver coil + (input)
1- = Driver coil - (output)
2+ = Servo coil+ (input)
2- = Servo coil - (Output)

If you are wiring the amps directly to the drivers:
Large Red wire => Driver Coil+
Large Black wire => Driver Coil -
Small Red wire => Servo Coil+
Small Black wire => Servo Coil -

As for routing, most just drill a hole in between the divider between the two woofers one hole for the driver coils, and another for the Servo coils on the other side. The Neutrik connector gets mounted to a small board on the base of the tower.

Maybe this could be a good video for tech talk.  How to wire a dual and triple open baffle sub.  I know I want a set but am afraid of not being able to wire it correctly. 

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2023, 08:33 am »
Jay did a sticky above,

Don

Vince in TX

« Reply #5 on: 9 Mar 2023, 01:58 am »
Does this help?

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 9 Mar 2023, 03:47 pm »
See the sticky on servo sub wiring.

drphoto

« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2023, 01:01 pm »
Thanks to all, especially Vince as I wanted to see actual photo. I know this should all be self evident, but I find that other people sometimes will find a smarter way of doing a job and there's no need to reinvent the wheel.

Theronbo

« Reply #8 on: 15 Mar 2023, 03:51 pm »
I was over confident…

I have the opposite facing Double Trouble & managed to wire mine up two different ways wrong!

Question for builders… I’ve seen many with NoRez lining the baffle… why?

It’s open… the frame is quite sturdy… has anyone noticed a difference with/without NoRez?

I think NoRez is phenomenal stuff…  like many of Danny’s products… initially you think it’s overpriced… but after using it & contemplating alternatives… Danny’s stuff generally provides a very cost effective solution.

I’m simply not understanding NoRez in this application.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #9 on: 15 Mar 2023, 04:29 pm »
I ran my Super 7's without Norez for a while because I also felt that it just wouldn't have an affect on the sound because it's 'just bass'.  Well, curiosity finally got the better of me and I installed some just to see what would happen.  I'll be damned, it did make an improvement. 

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #10 on: 15 Mar 2023, 04:49 pm »
I ran my Super 7's without Norez for a while because I also felt that it just wouldn't have an affect on the sound because it's 'just bass'.  Well, curiosity finally got the better of me and I installed some just to see what would happen.  I'll be damned, it did make an improvement.

I bought the No Rez for mine just before prices went up but I haven’t gotten around to installing them yet.  This is encouraging.  :thumb:

Theronbo

« Reply #11 on: 15 Mar 2023, 06:10 pm »

Are Super 7s open baffle?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #12 on: 15 Mar 2023, 06:31 pm »
Yep:

Early B.

« Reply #13 on: 15 Mar 2023, 08:52 pm »

Similar scenario -- I initially ran my servo subs for a few years without No Rez because it seemed tough to justify for open baffle. Makes an improvement, for sure. More recently, I found myself "tuning" one of the subs with No Rez.

Danny Richie

« Reply #14 on: 20 Mar 2023, 01:26 am »
Those woofers can put a lot of pressure on the side walls and cause some flexing. The No Rez can damp out any resonances and tighten things up a bit.