Back to basics

soundofrockets

Back to basics
« on: 12 Feb 2023, 05:06 am »
Got the crossover upgrades for LS9 completed last week-thanks Elon.
Now - back to basics.  At the risk of being called too dumb to figure out - I am asking the best way to setup my pieces.

HT set up is ok - for now - may need some input later.

Here is my chain for 2 channel listening.
Oppo 205 for source - using balanced outs to Modwright LS100 balanced in - I am using balanced Y cable on each channel to split the signal - one goes to the OB sub and the other goes to speaker amp - which feeds the speaker.

Is this the best way to integrate twin OB servo subs ? 
I get a feeling that something is not quite right.
Any input/suggestions appreciated.

EdwardT

Re: Back to basics
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2023, 07:49 pm »
Maybe try jumping from the speakers to the high level input on the plate amp, that'll give the same amp coloration to both.

tom739

« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2023, 09:19 pm »
What is your amp? Is it a balanced amp?

soundofrockets

« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2023, 09:26 pm »
Yes balanced amps - both for the subs and speakers.

soundofrockets

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2023, 09:27 pm »
Maybe try jumping from the speakers to the high level input on the plate amp, that'll give the same amp coloration to both.

So on the jumper cable - spades on speaker end and balanced on amp end?

tom739

« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2023, 09:46 pm »
The OB Rythmic amps are not balanced. Some models have XLR input, but are not balanced.
Also, remember that your LS 100 preamp is phase inverting. This may be addressed by reversing polarity both speaker cables.

soundofrockets

« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2023, 10:40 pm »
The OB Rythmic amps are not balanced. Some models have XLR input, but are not balanced.
Also, remember that your LS 100 preamp is phase inverting. This may be addressed by reversing polarity both speaker cables.

Not sure if I am following you.

tom739

« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2023, 04:17 am »
You say "get a feeling something is not right". Are you referring to how it sounds?   Or, it sounds ok, but just want to be sure your subs are connected the best way?

My note about your preamp is not related to your subs, but to the overall sound of your system.

soundofrockets

« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2023, 04:41 am »
You say "get a feeling something is not right". Are you referring to how it sounds?   Or, it sounds ok, but just want to be sure your subs are connected the best way?

My note about your preamp is not related to your subs, but to the overall sound of your system.

Want to make sure everything is connected right and I get good bass.  LS9s are powerful enough by themselves.

VinceT

« Reply #9 on: 13 Feb 2023, 05:02 am »
I was thinking about having my LS9s upgraded.

What parts did you use and how do you like the results so far compared to the stock crossover?

I would jump the speakers to the plate amp. Like you said you do not need much help with the LS9s.

« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2023, 06:54 pm by VinceT »

EdwardT

« Reply #10 on: 13 Feb 2023, 12:20 pm »
So on the jumper cable - spades on speaker end and balanced on amp end?

No. A spade on each end from the speaker binding post to the same post marked high level on the plate amp. This transfers the output signal from your full range amp to the plate amp along with any coloration from that amp in phase with same.

soundofrockets

« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb 2023, 07:21 pm »
I was thinking about having my LS9s upgraded.

What parts did you use and how do you like the results so far compared to the stock crossover?

I would jump the speakers to the plate amp. Like you said you do not need much help with the LS9s.

I got the parts from Danny directly based on his recommendations - did Sonic caps and Mills and Miflex (?) resistors.  - just modest upgrades. 

Too early to comment on the results.  trying to integrate the subs with LS9 in 2 channel set up. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #12 on: 13 Feb 2023, 08:19 pm »
I believe the LS100 has multiple Pre outs, 2 RCA and one XLR (Not a balanced output, just there for convenience). I think all outputs are active all the time.

Run one set of outputs to your LS9 Amps and another set of RCA cables to the plate amps. Check out the Phase issue on the LS100. You will need to turn on the EQ on the Plate Amps and adjust the Phase so that all the drivers (LS9 and Subs) are playing correctly with one another.

You can consider making some inline filters if you want, but probably not needed. Gives some piece of mind for protecting LS9 drivers from the bottom octave if you are playing crazy low synth music or the Frequency sweeps like Tyson has been doing (40 hz to 0 hz - Yikes!)

Other threads on the GR page on how to do inline filters and YouTube video as well.