Sign me up for the new big-ones

Stardust1

Re: Sign me up for the new big-ones
« Reply #20 on: 18 Feb 2023, 08:21 pm »
I have been wanting to build my very first pair of speakers for many years. Retired now and have been researching many of the DIY companies packages, how to videos, veneering, soldering crossovers. This immediately made the top 3 list. It will be hard to wait for this design to reach completion and be available. Chomping at the bit to tackle a project!

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #21 on: 19 Feb 2023, 03:46 am »
Welcome to AC!  You came to the right place.  :thumb:

fre11111

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: 23 Feb 2023, 05:33 pm »
Beast, Bully, Behemoth.
👍🙂

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #23 on: 25 Feb 2023, 03:54 pm »
Neat!

Reminds me of these monsters I had built years ago (Danny did a crossover for the Super-V coax in a sealed box and I had a pair of 12" sealed servos under each side):

I literally cracked plaster on walls with them... :green:

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 11 Mar 2023, 06:13 pm »
We got them up and playing and available for purchase.
https://gr-research.com/product/old-school-brute/
https://youtu.be/IdzxeMr2nzg

mkrawcz

« Reply #25 on: 11 Mar 2023, 07:39 pm »
This seems like the ideal tube amp speaker.

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #26 on: 11 Mar 2023, 08:02 pm »
What are you using for cable risers now?

Early B.

« Reply #27 on: 11 Mar 2023, 08:09 pm »
Those stands gotta be for sale too, right? Flat pack???

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 11 Mar 2023, 08:46 pm »
What are you using for cable risers now?

Rebar chairs. They're intended to suspend rebar for reinforcing concrete, but they work well as cheap cable risers too.

Those stands gotta be for sale too, right? Flat pack???

Yes they will be available as flat packs later today, I haven't had a chance to make the product page for them just yet.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 11 Mar 2023, 09:38 pm »

corndog71

« Reply #30 on: 11 Mar 2023, 10:03 pm »
If you have OB subs you could just tip them onto their sides and use them as stands.  :lol:
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2023, 07:05 am by corndog71 »

wldock

« Reply #31 on: 11 Mar 2023, 11:12 pm »
While watching the Brute video I starting thinking about different cabinet possibilities. I really wonder if a two piece satellite / bass cabinet design is possible without crossover design changes? Possible benefits in the upper range? Something like the Aerial Acoustics 10T, B&W 801, KEF 107, Usher X-Tower, Pass Labs SR-1, NHT T6, Polk RT3000p, etc.?

For sure, it seems like a good idea for the upcoming Bully with the active sub.

Early B.

« Reply #32 on: 11 Mar 2023, 11:20 pm »
While watching the Brute video I starting thinking about different cabinet possibilities. I really wonder if a two piece satellite / bass cabinet design is possible without crossover design changes? Possible benefits in the upper range? Something like the Aerial Acoustics 10T, B&W 801, KEF 107, Usher X-Tower, Pass Labs SR-1, NHT T6, Polk RT3000p, etc.?

For sure, it seems like a good idea for the upcoming Bully with the active sub.

I like this idea for the Bully. Offers a lot of flexibility, easier to move around, and looks nicer than the standard rectangluar box.

corndog71

« Reply #33 on: 12 Mar 2023, 12:54 am »
Instead of stands you could also just extend the cabinet down 16”.  Fill the bottom with sand and those suckers ain’t moving.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #34 on: 12 Mar 2023, 01:58 am »
I took the time to watch the video Hobbs posted.  Danny, I'm really glad you enjoyed doing these so much!  Your impressions in the video are exactly what I was trying to articulate years ago when we were standing in front of the S7s and you were playing with the toe-in on them for me.  There's just a certain flavor of "right" this kind of speaker does that the OBs and the line arrays - for all the strengths the OBs and line arrays have that these lack - just don't do.

I'd be pointing anyone looking at the current classic monitor style JBL lineup, or folks into the vintage JBLs, or maybe even folks into the bigger Harbeths to look this way.  $3K all in fully built is something that I'm betting could trade punches with a lot of speakers in that wheelhouse.

This is why one of my longstanding reference tracks is "Glycerine" by Bush.  You can tell in the first 10-20 seconds if a speaker's got "it" or it doesn't.

If I ever get a room bigger than the X-SLS I've got now can handle, these are on the list.

:beer:

chessycreek

« Reply #35 on: 12 Mar 2023, 06:36 am »
ordered - replacing the Encores if I do my part right

chessycreek

« Reply #36 on: 12 Mar 2023, 06:45 am »
Johnathan - I understand. My X-SLS's will go into the office. I am looking forward to that. The big guys will go into the living room.  15' X 50'.  need some big drivers to fill that void.