Securing desktop mini crossover to cabinet.

Nickando

Securing desktop mini crossover to cabinet.
« on: 25 Dec 2022, 11:19 pm »
Hi Guys, I've assembled the crossovers for the GR Research Desktop Mini and XLS Encore and am about ready to put them in the cabinets. However, i can't get a drill inside the cabinets to make pilot holes in the MDF so just after some tips on how to proceed!?

I've previously just used hot glue on other projects, which worked but was hoping to screw them in!

KTS

Re: Securing desktop mini crossover to cabinet.
« Reply #1 on: 26 Dec 2022, 12:35 pm »
Hi Guys, I've assembled the crossovers for the GR Research Desktop Mini and XLS Encore and am about ready to put them in the cabinets. However, i can't get a drill inside the cabinets to make pilot holes in the MDF so just after some tips on how to proceed!?

I've previously just used hot glue on other projects, which worked but was hoping to screw them in!

I use a right angle attachment for my drill for the pilot holes. It is still a bit awkward but works. I don’t use the drill to put the screws in, it can cause some issues. I know there are other options, but this is what I have done with success.

Kelly

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 26 Dec 2022, 04:52 pm »
I use self tapping wood screws like SPAX screws so I don't need to drill pilot holes in the cabinet, just through holes in the crossover board. A flex shaft with a battery screwdriver works well. I find the screwdrivers that have adjustable head angles to be the easiest to work with followed by those with the head at a 90 degree angle to the handle. Straight handles work, but I find a longer flex shaft works better with them.

Nickando

« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2022, 05:14 am »
Thanks guys! I'll sus out the appropriate attachment

Nickando

« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2022, 08:47 am »
The 90 degree drill attachment was a good tip. Worked perfectly.