Thikin' switching to Spatial X5 from Magnepan 3.7i

abomwell

Re: Thikin' switching to Spatial X5 from Magnepan 3.7i
« Reply #20 on: 15 Dec 2021, 09:13 pm »
I have the X5's and heard the 3.7i's at a Phoenix dealer last week. I used to own and like the 3.6R's coupled with a pair of JL Fathom subs. I was very disappointed in what I heard but, in all fairness to the Maggie's, the room was untreated but for a full carpet and they were placed too far into the room corners. The sound was bright with boomy mid-bass and not much deep bass. I asked the dealer to pull them out a couple feet and use the tweeter resistors to tame the top end. He did that and It made a vast improvement showing good potential but still lacked deep bass. I'm certain if I had them in my room, using subs, proper room treatments and positioning and DSP room correction I could get them to sound excellent.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #21 on: 16 Dec 2021, 02:30 am »
I have the X5's and heard the 3.7i's at a Phoenix dealer last week. I used to own and like the 3.6R's coupled with a pair of JL Fathom subs. I was very disappointed in what I heard but, in all fairness to the Maggie's, the room was untreated but for a full carpet and they were placed too far into the room corners. The sound was bright with boomy mid-bass and not much deep bass. I asked the dealer to pull them out a couple feet and use the tweeter resistors to tame the top end. He did that and It made a vast improvement showing good potential but still lacked deep bass. I'm certain if I had them in my room, using subs, proper room treatments and positioning and DSP room correction I could get them to sound excellent.

Magnepans have to be positioned correctly and have the right electronics otherwise they can be mediocre sounding but when set up right and with the right amp, they sound spectacular.

Mr. Big

« Reply #22 on: 16 Dec 2021, 02:36 pm »
That is what makes Spatial Speakers so GREAT! Unlike many speakers, you have to have a "certain" amp for them to sing, and a perfect room, setup and etc. These speakers can almost be plunked down and sound good after a break-in. They sound superb with Tubes, Solid State gear. From CD-Vinyl, and they continue to improve the longer they are played. 40 years in this hobby and I tell you this does not happen often when a speaker designs work well in any room, the gear that is good design, Class A, A/B or Class D. 10 watts-400 watts.

Donovan84

« Reply #23 on: 17 Dec 2021, 04:42 am »
I have done the same thing (X3s on sliders).  Close to front wall sounds good but loss of depth.  Width is still quite good.  I tried extreme toe-in for benefit of other movie watchers.  You know what?  They don't care.  So I moved them back out about 5 feet from the front wall.  I am probably close to removing the sliders and putting on the carpet spikes.  To hell with other listeners.

Marcus
Are you watching movies in stereo? Spatial doesn’t have a center channel, correct? I can’t imagine there is another speaker company that you could use for the center and surrounds that would come close in timbre matching. Are there any rumors of Spatial coming out with a center and surround offerings. I know you could use M5’s as surrounds, but that money money than I’d want to spend.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #24 on: 17 Dec 2021, 02:19 pm »
Are you watching movies in stereo? Spatial doesn’t have a center channel, correct? I can’t imagine there is another speaker company that you could use for the center and surrounds that would come close in timbre matching. Are there any rumors of Spatial coming out with a center and surround offerings. I know you could use M5’s as surrounds, but that money money than I’d want to spend.

Hi.  Look at my X3 review, https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=179354.0 to find out how I use the X3 for surround music and movies.

Donovan84

« Reply #25 on: 17 Dec 2021, 03:28 pm »
Hi.  Look at my X3 review, https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=179354.0 to find out how I use the X3 for surround music and movies.
Wow, great set-up. That can be my future set up to strive for! For the time being, my speaker budget ($7k-$8k) would allow me to get M3’s for mains and future Spatial center and surrounds if Clayton ever launches these.

foo_me

« Reply #26 on: 17 Dec 2021, 05:11 pm »

In one of the youtube interviews he did recently, I believe Clayton mentioned he wanted to focus on 2 channel with plans for a subwoofer in the future. 

nocrapman

« Reply #27 on: 17 Dec 2021, 06:02 pm »
I dont know the special soup that Spatial uses but I have gone up the chain with Magnepan over the last decade and my current system with the 3.7i running off a Bryston 4BSST2 is most satifying. There are 3 rythmik subs/room treatments and Dirac in the mix as well. I have 4 other setups ranging from small to large/DIY to custom speakers but nothing beats the presence/presentation and sheer energy in the music that the Maggies can create.
Are they ugly and obstrusive... sure; are they demanding... of course;  but do they sing... absolutely.

Good luck in your journey.

Donovan84

« Reply #28 on: 17 Dec 2021, 11:44 pm »
In one of the youtube interviews he did recently, I believe Clayton mentioned he wanted to focus on 2 channel with plans for a subwoofer in the future.
Okay, thanks for the update. I’ll probably stick with my current setup (Revel Concerta2) for awhile. They’re actually quite good, but upgraditis sometimes hits me.