Query on driver wiring connections

dryan01uk

Query on driver wiring connections
« on: 19 Oct 2021, 10:57 pm »
Hi folks,

This is probably a really simple / stupid question and I'm probably over-thinking things, like I normally do, but ....

When it comes to wiring up the drivers for the X-statik / X-Voce (and, I assume any other multi-driver speaker assemblies), is it best to wire each of set of drivers - tweeter, mids, woofers etc - as parallel pairs with separate +ve / -ve lines or can I connect all the -ve lines (+ve for the woofer due to phase swap) together and only make one final connection -ve wire connection to the cross-over (I'd still run separate wires for the +ve side of the driver)

Electrically this makes sense, but I wonder if it would have a detrimental effect on the sound quality.  Is wire gage ultimately going to be the problem if I limit the return signal to the cross-over to one wire?

It's going to be easier for me wiring ONE wire to the -ve cross-over node (which has already got 3 node connections) than soldering and heat shrinking 3 separate wires.  Its a pretty congested board already.

Thoughts?

David

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Query on driver wiring connections
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2021, 11:46 pm »
On my X-Statiks, I have just one set of wires going to/from the crossover to the drivers. With a bridging set of wires connecting the woofers together, since thats how they were originally wired when I got them.

dryan01uk

Re: Query on driver wiring connections
« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2021, 01:36 am »
Perfect!  Thanks Hobbs.

That helps enormously with cable routing.  I was a bit worried about connecting all those cables.

D