GAIA on M3s Install ?s

forky

GAIA on M3s Install ?s
« on: 4 Sep 2021, 02:06 pm »
I know there is a thread for aftermarket feet for the X series w/ some posts from M users but wanted to start a specific thread.

Can any GAIA owners (my IIs arrived yesterday) chime in on the hardware they used and if straight bolt (screw) in? ....and any other helpful info.

The guy I bought mine from was kind enough to make this video for me but I really don't want to drill into my M3 bases. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwdR_UjPFQE  , which is why I'm asking for help here.

Thank you.

newzooreview

Re: GAIA on M3s Install ?s
« Reply #1 on: 4 Sep 2021, 03:46 pm »
"The GAIA II includes thread adaptors for sizes M6-1.0, M8-1.25 and ¼”-20. Alternative thread size adaptors are available upon request. Contact the Amazon seller or IsoAcoustics for alternate thread size adaptors."

I would confirm the thread size with Clayton and then get the correct thread adapter from isoAcoustics or whomever sold them to you.

Drilling or other gerry rigging sounds like a bad idea. They screw right in when you have the right thread size for the bolt.

However, the GAIA do not preserve the upward tilt of the speakers. Again, you might want to call Clayton and get his suggestions.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 4 Sep 2021, 07:29 pm »
https://www.mcmaster.com/stainless-steel-standoffs/inch-to-inch-male-hex-thread-adapters/

https://www.imperialsupplies.com/item/9165779

I don't think contacting Gaia is going to get you anywhere unless you know exactly what you need on each end and they have it.

McMaster has inch to inch and metric to metric and metric to inch thread adapters so poke around their website to find what you need. You might be able to find a smaller thread that fits your speaker frame.

I'm pretty sure the thread on the Gaia is metric and not a standard one. I cannot find it in my notes right now. I am sure I have it somewhere.

Don_S

« Reply #3 on: 4 Sep 2021, 07:58 pm »
Thread size for the GAIA II body is M8.

forky

« Reply #4 on: 6 Sep 2021, 09:20 pm »
Thanks all, will confirm bolt/thread sizes for the M3s and then see what I can come up with from MacMasters or similar.

I know there are a few w/ GAIAs on their Ms so hoping to hear from one of them also.  :D

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #5 on: 7 Sep 2021, 12:17 am »
I have the earlier release of the M3’s without the outboard xover. Mine use the M6-1.0 threads.
One thing I wasn’t crazy about was that the spikes on the base were stuck on with double sided sticky tape so when I try to move the speaker they sometimes shift or fall off. This is with the Gaia on which sometimes suctions to my hardwood floor. Hope on the newer models it’s actually drilled into the base which I might do when I get up the courage.

Mr. Big

« Reply #6 on: 7 Sep 2021, 12:57 pm »
Newer designs have the footer screwed into the base of the speaker and the spike screws into that, nice thing is you can try the speaker without the spike and see how it sounds in your room because you still have footer support on the speaker that will still tilt them back.

forky

« Reply #7 on: 7 Sep 2021, 11:19 pm »
Thanks all. The guy I bought them from (Mathew at J&J Audio Solutions) is working with a local CNC guy and if he gets the right hardware I'll report back.

loki7177

« Reply #8 on: 8 Sep 2021, 02:02 pm »
I have the newer style M3 Sapphires with the outboard crossover.  I was able to install them with the bolts that came with the GAIA II with no modifications.  You have to take the base off of the panel to remove the spikes.  That was all, no modifications need. 

loki7177

« Reply #9 on: 8 Sep 2021, 02:11 pm »
You should be able to see them from these pictures.  Direct replacement for factory spikes.  No need for modifications.

forky

« Reply #10 on: 8 Sep 2021, 05:46 pm »
I have the newer style M3 Sapphires with the outboard crossover.  I was able to install them with the bolts that came with the GAIA II with no modifications.  You have to take the base off of the panel to remove the spikes.  That was all, no modifications need.

Ah ha! Thank you! Mine were sold as a set of 6 (have been wondering if M3 owners have been buying 2 sets of 4 and have 2 left over?) at a discount so I didn't receive the boxes or any of the standard hardware - but was provided the hardware for the "drill holes in the bases" recommendation. I have emailed the vendor. Amazing it was that easy. Now I just need the stock hardware.  8)

loki7177

« Reply #11 on: 8 Sep 2021, 08:43 pm »
I bought 2 packs of 4 and had 2 left over.  I then sold the 2 extra here.

Rthomeint

« Reply #12 on: 28 Sep 2021, 10:59 pm »
You should be able to see them from these pictures.  Direct replacement for factory spikes.  No need for modifications.

I replaced the factory supplied spikes on my Martin Logans  with GAIA I and found it make a big improvement in sound quality. Did you hear an improvement on the M3 Sapphires? I am think about buying a pair of M4s Sapphires due to the width of my room.

forky

« Reply #13 on: 29 Sep 2021, 02:53 pm »
I should be receiving my hardware later this week. One thing I will have to take a look at is keeping the correct tilt. Hopefully the hardware supplied is able to accomplish.

Tangram

« Reply #14 on: 29 Sep 2021, 03:42 pm »
I should be receiving my hardware later this week. One thing I will have to take a look at is keeping the correct tilt. Hopefully the hardware supplied is able to accomplish.

Please let us know the difference in sound once installed. I am especially interested because I see your M3s are partly sitting on carpet.

I am surprised that people get such positive results with the GAIAs and Spatials. But given that Clayton is including them in some speakers as OEM tells me you guys are onto something. The physics don't make much sense to me, given the inherent design of the speakers, with no top brace to reduce movement of the baffle.

As for me, I (currently) am happy with the sound of my M3s. I also think the GAIAs detract from their elegant look. Not that looks should stop anyone from chasing the audio dragon, but the M3s are a particularly good-looking speaker as is.

forky

« Reply #15 on: 29 Sep 2021, 04:05 pm »
ok will do. mine are fully on carpet though - although - and I'm still working on this, one foot is on a rug (w/ the other 2 on carpet).

Agree w/ the looks but I'm function over form (unless maybe it looks like total crap) - will know more on that soon.

Factorz

« Reply #16 on: 19 Mar 2023, 02:48 pm »
I emailed Clayton but thought maybe someone on there might be able to help. I recently bought some GAIA III from the marketplace but when I went to install them on my M6's I see that the base don't have a thread to screw the GAIA into.

The factory installed feet were installed by have a hex head black screw go into the feet to hold them in place. I'm assuming I would have to modify my base to make this work?

Mr. Big

« Reply #17 on: 19 Mar 2023, 03:21 pm »
I emailed Clayton but thought maybe someone on there might be able to help. I recently bought some GAIA III from the marketplace but when I went to install them on my M6's I see that the base don't have a thread to screw the GAIA into.

The factory installed feet were installed by have a hex head black screw go into the feet to hold them in place. I'm assuming I would have to modify my base to make this work?

The spikes that came with the speakers that screw into the attached footers are M6 screw thread size the GAIA comes with that size included. I don't use the spikes myself just the front footers. I am on a carpeted floor with a good pad underneath.

Factorz

« Reply #18 on: 19 Mar 2023, 03:45 pm »
Ok maybe I'm just dumb  :duh:. I was under the impression you had to remove those black cone footers that came with the speakers first, but it sounds like you screw the GAIA into those?

What did you do the back footer? My is just a black rubber instead of the cone shape on the front.

Mr. Big

« Reply #19 on: 19 Mar 2023, 06:01 pm »
Ok maybe I'm just dumb  :duh:. I was under the impression you had to remove those black cone footers that came with the speakers first, but it sounds like you screw the GAIA into those?

What did you do the back footer? My is just a black rubber instead of the cone shape on the front.

All the screw-in spikes are M6 size. My Shappries have a 3rd hole in the back base of the speakers so mine could use 3 spikes, 2 in the front and one in the back. I am guessing seeing that the GAIA come with M6 fittings I would guess you could just screw them in.