new STA-9X (MSRP $1195)

John Casler

Re: new STA-9X (MSRP $1195)
« Reply #20 on: 6 Oct 2021, 06:26 pm »
Is STA-9X better than mono Nuforce 9v3SE?

In general the answer is YES.

While the power is spec'd about the same in bridged mode, the STA-9x is more stable with low impedances.

The Switching Frequency is higher at 750kHz for less distortions and much improved transparency and micro-detail.

And the NuFORCE Ref 9 v3 SE was about $2500.  The NuPRIME STA-9x is $1195!!!

seikosha

« Reply #21 on: 6 Oct 2021, 07:11 pm »

Of course it is. 😉

worldcat

« Reply #22 on: 7 Oct 2021, 07:47 pm »
In general the answer is YES.

While the power is spec'd about the same in bridged mode, the STA-9x is more stable with low impedances.

The Switching Frequency is higher at 750kHz for less distortions and much improved transparency and micro-detail.

And the NuFORCE Ref 9 v3 SE was about $2500.  The NuPRIME STA-9x is $1195!!!

Even when you bridge them they will be ok with lower impedance speakers?

jjss49

« Reply #23 on: 7 Oct 2021, 08:27 pm »
i really enjoy my ida-8 in my second system - what a superb high value integrated it is

i am wondering if nuprime is trying to work with the GaN technology in future amplifier releases...  rare to have such a strong team doing their own development yet producing great high value products

Eisener Bart

« Reply #24 on: 8 Oct 2021, 02:46 pm »
Perhaps some Ukraine dealers are getting stocks from Russian distributor.

No, my dealer ordered 2 pcs of STA-9 NOT from Russia.

Adalbert

« Reply #25 on: 3 Jun 2022, 07:46 am »
Hi
what is the current delivery of STA-9x compared to STA-9 ? On the product description page, there is 'more by130%' or so, is it really?

rustydoglim

« Reply #26 on: 4 Jun 2022, 07:08 pm »
No, my dealer ordered 2 pcs of STA-9 NOT from Russia.

That was when they were still friendly. We just got an inquiry from a dealer in Ukraine but we can't ship there due to the war.  The dealer is trying to order from Poland. You guys won't believe that throughout the years (including the Nuforce era), we have shipped products to "unusual places" such as military base in Afghanistan, a prison, and the Vatican City. We even sold 40 Ref9 to an Israel company for ultrasonic use in fault detection. John Casler sold the first pair at midnight in a Los Angeles carpark to two engineers who were separately hunting for lightweight and compact ultrasonic amp, lol.

rustydoglim

« Reply #27 on: 4 Jun 2022, 07:11 pm »
Hi
what is the current delivery of STA-9x compared to STA-9 ? On the product description page, there is 'more by130%' or so, is it really?

The STA-9X could have been called a different model as it was a significant design change from STA-9. 

Adalbert

« Reply #28 on: 4 Jun 2022, 07:19 pm »
The STA-9X could have been called a different model as it was a significant design change from STA-9.
Which of STA-9x, ST-10, AMG STA (or IDA-16?) has the most efficient current delivery? I am asking because I need to feed my hungry Dynaudios SP40 and would like to stay with Nuprime gear, as I love its sound and design concept...

John Casler

« Reply #29 on: 4 Jun 2022, 07:37 pm »
We even sold 40 Ref9 to an Israel company for ultrasonic use in fault detection. John Casler sold the first pair at midnight in a Los Angeles carpark to two engineers who were separately hunting for lightweight and compact ultrasonic amp, lol.

LOL. . .yes that was a funny story.

These guys called me and ask if I had the amps.  They said they were working on a Top Secret Israeli Military Project and one of them was an Israeli Secret Service Agent.  It all sounded strange, yet my curiosity got the best of me.

It was on a weekend, late at night.  They said they needed these specific qualities to send sonic signals through the hydraulic systems of Military Devices like jets and ships.  They said with the right amps and their equipment, they could  find leaks, and faults, and "predict" system failures, with something similar to ultrasound or ultrasonic sweeps.

I agreed to meet with them in my underground parking garage in Century City.

They showed up around midnight in a Big Blacked Out SUV and called me to come down.

I told them I could only do this on a CASH basis.  It took them a couple hours to visit ATMs and between the 3 of them they had the cash (in $20's)

I went down, they examined the amps (they really only wanted one, but I told them I had to sell them as a pair)

They handed me a big envelope full of $20 bills and there we were counting 20's as my neighbors drove in and out, likely thinking I was a drug dealer. . . .LOL

But as Jason said, it all worked out, and they placed a larger order after making sure the system functioned as expected
« Last Edit: 4 Jun 2022, 09:39 pm by John Casler »

rustydoglim

« Reply #30 on: 5 Jun 2022, 09:25 pm »
Whoa, you mentioned some new details I never knew.  :thumb:

rustydoglim

« Reply #31 on: 5 Jun 2022, 09:31 pm »
Which of STA-9x, ST-10, AMG STA (or IDA-16?) has the most efficient current delivery? I am asking because I need to feed my hungry Dynaudios SP40 and would like to stay with Nuprime gear, as I love its sound and design concept...

I think you are looking for the amp with the largest current. That will be AMG STA.
Power = Current x Voltage
An amp could have more power than another but with less current.  AMG STA was specifically designed to deliver a very large current (10A is huge) even though ST-10 has slightly more power than AMG STA.

Adalbert

« Reply #32 on: 6 Jun 2022, 09:57 am »
I think you are looking for the amp with the largest current. That will be AMG STA.
Power = Current x Voltage
An amp could have more power than another but with less current.  AMG STA was specifically designed to deliver a very large current (10A is huge) even though ST-10 has slightly more power than AMG STA.
Thanks for the reply. Is STA-9x far behind in that respect? Or 2 x STA-9 in the bridge mode?
« Last Edit: 6 Jun 2022, 01:45 pm by Adalbert »

rustydoglim

« Reply #33 on: 6 Jun 2022, 06:11 pm »
I won't say STA-9X is far behind.  I have to check with R&D since current is not normally in the spec. 
It doesn't look like Dynaudio SP40 is current hungry as far as Nuprime amps are concerned.
AMG STA is designed for really Current hungry speaker such as Apogee.
STA-9 or 9X would be able to handle SP40 with ease.

Mentt

« Reply #34 on: 16 Sep 2022, 09:36 pm »
If I have not power hungry  speakers is it still worth getting AMG STA? What is the sound signature difference between AMG STA and sta-9x? Which one is more suitable for “indie” music(Radiohead, P.J. Harvey and so on)? (I am planning to buy two units and use it in mono mode)

rustydoglim

« Reply #35 on: 19 Sep 2022, 05:42 pm »
This paragraph of AMG STA highlights the difference between it and STA-9X:

Tonal qualities of the AMG STA lean toward being full and rich, so instruments and vocals seem to gain an extra body, weight, and harmonic richness. It may not be the most accurate reproduction but does make Jazz and Vocal pieces highly addictive. It may take away the raw edge of Rock and Electronic music and sounds less exciting for some.

STA-9X sound characteristic is between ST-10 and AMG STA.  I think you will like STA-9X.

BrianD

« Reply #36 on: 20 Dec 2022, 06:32 pm »
For those who are curious. I substituted the STA-9X for my Parasound A23+ amp in my 2 channel music system.
The STA-9X has a better 3D soundstage, instrument separation and was more lively. The A23+ might have more energy on the low end but I am using bookshelf speakers with subwoofer so that didn't really matter much. I've been going back and forth for almost a year and bottom line is the STA-9X is more compelling and exciting sound.

rustydoglim

« Reply #37 on: 21 Dec 2022, 08:20 pm »

Yes. It is has a little bit more warmth and texture than Nuforce 9V3SE. The old Nuforce series are very neutral, smooth and detailed. The new generation of Nuprime amps added Class-A characteristic.

AllanS

« Reply #38 on: 22 Dec 2022, 05:31 am »
For those who are curious. I substituted the STA-9X for my Parasound A23+ amp in my 2 channel music system.
The STA-9X has a better 3D soundstage, instrument separation and was more lively. The A23+ might have more energy on the low end but I am using bookshelf speakers with subwoofer so that didn't really matter much. I've been going back and forth for almost a year and bottom line is the STA-9X is more compelling and exciting sound.
I appreciate your comments.  I’d like to use it in a really nice desktop system and periodically swap it into the main system.

rustydoglim

« Reply #39 on: 22 Dec 2022, 08:31 pm »
STA-9X is priced too low for its performance. Even though it shares the almost the same model number as STA-9, you can tell from the circuit board that these are two very different designs.