bamajohn

« on: 14 Jul 2021, 02:07 pm »
Hello all.  Very interested in GR-Research kits, have been binging YT videos from Danny as well as New Record Day.  Was really thinking Spatial Audio was going to be my favorite, but the kit idea is compelling.  I've been into car audio for years, my only home "system" has been nice headphones (HD-6xx, DT-880Pro) and at 50, it's time to have a nice home system.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2021, 03:00 pm »
Well you certainly came to the right place!  Great speakers for a pittance as long as you put in the sweat equity :)

hawkeyejw

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2021, 03:23 pm »
Welcome! Which kit do you have your eye on?

Chewbacca

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2021, 04:03 pm »
Welcome to AC! You're in the right place!

I'm sure you'll be floored by any GR speaker! and if you don't want to put in the time and effort of DIY, I'm sure you'd be quite pleased with something from the Spatial line. You hear nothing but good things from both! Those would be the only two speaker brands I'd personally consider right now - given my budget.

Currently I'm building a pair of NX-Oticas.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2021, 05:25 pm »
Welcome to AC! :thumb:

bamajohn

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2021, 10:51 pm »
Well you certainly came to the right place!  Great speakers for a pittance as long as you put in the sweat equity :)

Thank you!  I finally have some space in a basement to set up a nice work area, but I've never been accused of being good at woodworking.  Assembly of cut parts should not be as big of a problem.

bamajohn

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jul 2021, 10:58 pm »
Welcome! Which kit do you have your eye on?

I'm all over the road... I definitely am interested in the newer desktop monitor size speakers as I recently bought and set up two workstations at home with sit/stand desks, one for my home desktop PC, the other for my work-from-home laptop + two monitors rig.  Then again, my wife has indicated an interest in getting some nice speakers set up in the living room, so the X-statik kit looks like a possibility, or the XLS Encores atop a couple of servo subs.  Cost no object, I'd love to have the NX-oticas with all the upgrades plus a pair of 2-servo-subs like New Record Day showed off.  Sad truth is I have nothing worthy of driving those yet, so this will be a build from the ground up, amps, speakers, wires, everything.  I'd love to find a decent integrated / minimal amp setup so that I'm not burning through cubic dollars to set up the whole rig but I'm also not leaving a lot of performance on the table.

bamajohn

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jul 2021, 11:00 pm »
Welcome to AC! You're in the right place!

I'm sure you'll be floored by any GR speaker! and if you don't want to put in the time and effort of DIY, I'm sure you'd be quite pleased with something from the Spatial line. You hear nothing but good things from both! Those would be the only two speaker brands I'd personally consider right now - given my budget.

Currently I'm building a pair of NX-Oticas.

Spatial really does have a cool setup--I'm a sucker for coincident-source alignment having been won over by KEF years ago in the car audio world.  I still have two sets of KEF KAR speakers sitting in a box in the basement.

hawkeyejw

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jul 2021, 01:01 am »
I'm all over the road... I definitely am interested in the newer desktop monitor size speakers as I recently bought and set up two workstations at home with sit/stand desks, one for my home desktop PC, the other for my work-from-home laptop + two monitors rig.  Then again, my wife has indicated an interest in getting some nice speakers set up in the living room, so the X-statik kit looks like a possibility, or the XLS Encores atop a couple of servo subs.  Cost no object, I'd love to have the NX-oticas with all the upgrades plus a pair of 2-servo-subs like New Record Day showed off.  Sad truth is I have nothing worthy of driving those yet, so this will be a build from the ground up, amps, speakers, wires, everything.  I'd love to find a decent integrated / minimal amp setup so that I'm not burning through cubic dollars to set up the whole rig but I'm also not leaving a lot of performance on the table.

Down the rabbit hole you go!  :lol:

I built out a set of X-Statics and Voce combo and will be building a set of the NX-Studios soon. I also have a set of old speakers Danny designed the crossover for from another rther company and they sound great too. Whatever you decide I’m sure you’ll be happy!