Hobbs NX-Studio Build

mkrawcz

Re: Hobbs NX-Studio Build
« Reply #320 on: 15 Oct 2022, 11:32 am »
Nice review! I’m glad you where able to reaffirm and convey what I was experiencing through my Studios with the vcaps. One thing I have learned about the vcaps is that they definitely do not work everywhere. I decided to mod my GK-10 amp with them and although it did improve the amps clarity, something was way off. It clearly wasn’t linear, so I took them out and replaced them with Jantzen Superior caps which are very neutral and that proved to be amazing. At the same time, I modded my Schitt Freya+ with vcaps and that worked out great. So I guess my conclusion is they work well in tweeter circuits and tube gear.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #321 on: 15 Oct 2022, 03:52 pm »
Yeah there are definitely synergistic considerations that should be made when using the V-Caps, and tube gear paired with them makes for a very nice balance. I can definitely see some solid state/class D gear being a little more hard or edgy for some people, as my Sprout 100 can be that at times.

Using a copper bypass should also help to soften those edges a bit as well without losing the clarity and detail the caps provide.

The Miflex caps are much more forgiving in that regard, as they sound great, regardless of my gear setup, and they're still revealing enough most of the time to not feel like I'm missing out in most cases.

Badd99

« Reply #322 on: 16 Oct 2022, 05:30 pm »
Thank you for the write up... Big question.. Which crossover will get more use?? Haha

If you had to pick just one, which would you pick?

Unfortunately I wish you used the same resistors in both. I believe your vcap is using silver based duleand but I'm not totally sure those are silver. I user all path audio copper with my nx otica crossover that is ultra similar to yours. Try a pure silver dueland bypass with the 0.1 vcap odam on the mid circuit. It added a ton of Soundstage the combo with sonicaps on my nx otica mid circuit.

I also used vcap in my modified schitt freya+ and that with some really nice tubes to my solid state amp to nx otica with all those crossover. Mods really blew me away.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #323 on: 16 Oct 2022, 06:44 pm »
Hard to say, the VCaps crossovers will be great for evaluation of other gear/cables in the system, especially with how transparent and clean they are.
But for long-term listening, I can't get past how good the Miflex crossovers sound, it's just very rich and inviting, which is what i really wanted from them.

Part of the reason for switching away from the Path resistors to the Duelund graphite was after finding out that the Path resistors use steel caps on the resistor inside the copper shield.
I still want to try the newer Duelund Cast graphite resistors at some point too.

I may consider using a silver bypass on the mids as well since we have a lot of clips we can use for testing.

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #324 on: 17 Oct 2022, 03:47 am »
Part of the reason for switching away from the Path resistors to the Duelund graphite was after finding out that the Path resistors use steel caps on the resistor inside the copper shield.

Hobbs I respect you very much, but When I was building my crossovers I tested everything including the Path resistors with a super strong magnet and found nothing. And when my NX's were down do to a dead tweeter, I retested and again found nothing sticking on mine. Maybe this was a change made after mine were produced.

Also using the Duelund graphite makes the comparison not apples to apples, its apples to oranges.

I do want to try the silver bypass caps added to my existing miflex caps.

Anyway for the awesome write up.

Wayne in Oregon

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #325 on: 17 Oct 2022, 04:52 am »
It's something I've noted before, and checking mine in the past all show a faint magnetism near the caps, and including this one and a few others that have come through.
Here's a picture I took of one some months ago:

The magnetism is pretty weak through the casing, and

While it is possible that yours are magnetism free, the ones I've handled in the past year have been magnetic, which is a disappointment considering their marketing and price.

For all I know, it may have come down to availability during the time i baught them, but it's still disappointing.

I'm aware it's not perfectly apples to apples, but it was never really meant to be.

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #326 on: 17 Oct 2022, 05:56 am »
I remember when you made that post, that's why I retested mine.

OK, maybe switch them over. The carbons on the miflex and the Path's on the ODAM's. Just to see if any difference. Or not.

Those carbon resistors are on closeout at Parts Connection for 40% off. Which variety did you get, they list four kinds? I wanted to maybe get some before they are gone.

Thanks man.

Wayne in Oregon

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #327 on: 18 Oct 2022, 01:59 pm »
The resistors I got were the graphite/silver variety.

Maybe at some point, but they way the miflex crossover is laid out,  it would be difficult to get the Duelund resistors to fit.

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #328 on: 18 Oct 2022, 04:36 pm »
Thank You Hobbs.

Wayne in Oregon.

emailtim

« Reply #329 on: 26 Oct 2022, 03:11 am »
That red really pops.

Found your matching TT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKFQ8B4cx64

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #330 on: 3 Nov 2022, 09:34 pm »
Does Jay usually keep the flat packs in stock for the Studio model? 

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #331 on: 3 Nov 2022, 09:36 pm »
Does Jay usually keep the flat packs in stock for the Studio model?

Usually. Mine came in about a week (BC to WA shipping)

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #332 on: 3 Nov 2022, 10:18 pm »
That red really pops.

Found your matching TT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKFQ8B4cx64

That red was tough to get right. I had to blend two different red dyes to get the "red" I was after and both the stain used a different balance from the red tone coats applied over it.
But I'm really happy with how they turned out.
I could have taken time to wet sand the orange peel, but honestly I don't care enough about having a perfectly smooth/glossy cabinet, it'll just make them more of a fingerprint magnet than they already are... lol 

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #333 on: 4 Nov 2022, 04:29 pm »
We have them in inventory but since Danny's last video the phone(email) has been ringing/pinging steady.

We will most likely pack 3 sets this weekend, they don't take long to prepare/pack compared to say the N Xtremes and we try to have them box ready when able, as Jay's shop is small we try not to have too much clutter at any one time.

Don

g3rain1

« Reply #334 on: 30 Dec 2022, 04:45 pm »

Where do you get those little brackets holding the tube connectors down?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #335 on: 30 Dec 2022, 06:05 pm »
Where do you get those little brackets holding the tube connectors down?

I actually designed and 3D printed them for myself.

Craig Young

« Reply #336 on: 30 Dec 2022, 07:37 pm »
Securing components with both glue and ty wraps is a good idea for my future project. I was going to try "Sugru" instead of hot glue.

bhassel

« Reply #337 on: 1 Jan 2023, 01:18 am »
I actually designed and 3D printed them for myself.

Nice Hobbs!

I may have to dust off my 3D printer! Great idea!

Bob

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #338 on: 4 Apr 2023, 04:12 am »
Just a little update.

I ordered myself some 0.1uF Duelund JDM copper foil caps to replace the 0.01uF silver JDM bypass. Not exactly apples to apples, but more in line with what I'm used to, especially since I want more of what copper has to offer.
Mostly hoping that it will soften the edges compared to the silver bypass caps.

On Danny's system they're a little too "gritty" for my tastes, and the soundstage is rather narrow,  mainly between the speakers, especially compared to my Miflex-based crossover, though I don't expect the bypass to change that much, but I'm curious to see how things play out.

I'll keeping y'all posted as I make progress/changes with this project. :thumb:

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #339 on: 4 Apr 2023, 04:58 am »
Just a little update.

I ordered myself some 0.1uF Duelund JDM copper foil caps to replace the 0.01uF silver JDM bypass. Not exactly apples to apples, but more in line with what I'm used to, especially since I want more of what copper has to offer.
Mostly hoping that it will soften the edges compared to the silver bypass caps.

On Danny's system they're a little too "gritty" for my tastes, and the soundstage is rather narrow,  mainly between the speakers, especially compared to my Miflex-based crossover, though I don't expect the bypass to change that much, but I'm curious to see how things play out.

I'll keeping y'all posted as I make progress/changes with this project. :thumb:

I was just considering trying those for my projects.  Looking forward to your observations.